Newbie needs SLAMing advice, and how much sodium hypochlorite in Clorox Bleach?

I am a newbie here but I just wanted to say....Darlene you rock!

LOL, thanks Chrissykr!! But you know what? TFP rocks!! :lovetfp:

Tackling all this by yourself is a huge project and you are so inspirational taking this on. Also, the help and support on this site is nothing short of amazing. Folks offering support, help, videos, drawings etc. is really top notch what a great group of folks here!

I wouldn't have made it this far without the encouragement and support from these folks on TFP! I wholeheartedly agree that the people here are so incredibly giving and generous with their time.

- - - Updated - - -

Now that I'm less concerned with the algae and more concerned about my filter, I keep forgetting to post my test results! Sorry, here's the latest:

Test #47 (July 14th, evening): DAY 24

SLAM: 16 ppm FC
FC: 17.5 ppm
CC: 0.5 ppm

I bumped the FC up to 21 ppm overnight.

Test #48 (July 15th, morning): DAY 25

FC: 20 ppm

An overnight loss of 1 ppm FC. I bumped the FC up to 23 since I was going to be gone all day.

Test #49 (July 15th, evening): DAY 25

FC: 18 ppm

I bumped the FC up to 21 ppm overnight.

Test #50 (July 16th, morning): DAY 26

FC: 20 ppm

Because it was going to be another hot day and I'd be gone all day, I bumped the FC up to 23 ppm.

July 16th, evening: DAY 26

Yikes, nearly out of R-0871! Again!! That 2-oz bottle did NOT last long :( Hope my order gets here soon!! Will have to wing it and go by my results for the past few nights and add the usual amount to bump the FC up to 21 ppm overnight.

Test #51 (July 17th, morning): DAY 27

FC: 21.5 ppm
CC: 0.5

Well, I don't exactly know what my overnight loss is since I did not test last night. Another hot one today and I'm gone all day, so I am bumping the FC up to 23 ppm.

Test #52 (July 17th, evening): DAY 27

SLAM: 16 ppm
FC: 16.5 ppm

Hooray, my R-0871 arrived today. You think 1 pint will be enough? LOL!! I'm bumping the FC up to 21 ppm again for overnight.

Sorry, no pics!! The pool looks exactly the same!!

Just let us know when you are ready to take the next step and we will be here to show you the way.

At least the girls can swim so that is good.

I was looking back at the beginning! WOW! The green slime and the color! You have come SO far! If you need a boost look at the pics! LOL

Kim

Darlene. Just go to the pool store and buy some plugs for the skimmer and the return. They're probably 2$-3$ each. Would certainly save you the trouble of doing ALL the plumbing... Those rubber plugs just screw into the threaded skimmer suction hole and the threaded return (with the eyeball removed, of course). You can even add some teflon tape on the plugs to ensure an absolute watertight seal (not critical at this juncture though).

Just let us know when you are ready to take the next step and we will be here to show you the way.

Today, I'm going to make my list of things to buy and get myself set up so that I'm ready to go! And thanks again for all the support, HUGS!

At least the girls can swim so that is good.

Yes, except for those dratted mosquitoes!! I need to not push the FC so high so that it drops so we can swim during the afternoon. Today and tomorrow it will be HOT, HOT, HOT.

I was looking back at the beginning! WOW! The green slime and the color! You have come SO far! If you need a boost look at the pics! LOL

Kim, I noticed when I was brushing the pool last night that I can see the brush moving along the bottom! And I can see the bottom step!! I was being eaten alive by mosquitoes and it was not light enough to take a pic, but I will post one today. Aside from needing a good vacuuming (which I'm planning to do today), I think there's improvement again!!

- - - Updated - - -

Darlene. Just go to the pool store and buy some plugs for the skimmer and the return. They're probably 2$-3$ each. Would certainly save you the trouble of doing ALL the plumbing... Those rubber plugs just screw into the threaded skimmer suction hole and the threaded return (with the eyeball removed, of course). You can even add some teflon tape on the plugs to ensure an absolute watertight seal (not critical at this juncture though).

Hi, JFB! I had no idea that there was a plug for the skimmer. You're the first one to mention that!! That certainly would be ideal, and I will ask about that. Thank you!!!

- - - Updated - - -

My skimmer is not threaded BUT a tennis ball will fit just right to "close" it off. The threaded plug would fit in the eyeball/return place.

I'm not sure whether my skimmer is threaded either, Kim. I'll check on that. If not, a tennis ball is on my "buy" list. And also the ping pong balls!!

She will get it with our help. HUGS!!!!

Thanks, Kim!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-14157...13&sr=8-7&keywords=mosquito+repellent+lantern

Add these to your buy list! This is what we use on our back patio and around the pool. We put one on the patio and one on the deck by the pool and are mosquito free! Just remember that I live in Florida, land of mosquitoes!

Do you have a hacksaw or something to cut the PVC pipe with?

If you want show us your list and we will add or take away or change if we see something that will work better.

I so wish I could come up there and help :(

Just think how clear the pool would be if the filter worked like it should.

Kim

Add these to your buy list! This is what we use on our back patio and around the pool. We put one on the patio and one on the deck by the pool and are mosquito free! Just remember that I live in Florida, land of mosquitoes!

I'm afraid that won't be enough, Kim. I need something heavy-duty!! I'm looking at those propane ones. There's a few different kinds, like Mosquito Magnet or SkeeterVac or Guardian Pro. If anyone has used any of the propane ones for mosquito control, I'd LOVE to hear your opinions on them!!

The mosquito is our provincial bird, LOL! If I showed you photos of how these suckers swarm us when we are out by the pool, you wouldn't believe it!

Do you have a hacksaw or something to cut the PVC pipe with?

I have a hacksaw, but it's probably dull. Someone mentioned a PVC cutter, so I was going to check that out when I went to the store.

If you want show us your list and we will add or take away or change if we see something that will work better.

Perfect!

At this point, I need:

- 2 union fittings (one for the skimmer to pump -- or should I use a black flippy valve there instead? -- and the other from pump to sand filter)
- Plug for skimmer (alternatively, a tennis ball)
- Plug for return jet
- PVC cutter
- PVC "glue" (blue epoxy in a metal can)

Am I replacing the incoming semi-rigid black rubber pipe coming into the pump at this point? The one from pump to sand filter is PVC, so that one's okay.

I so wish I could come up there and help :(

You ARE helping, Kim!!

Just think how clear the pool would be if the filter worked like it should.

That's what I'm hoping for, Kim! I am curious what is going on in there, whether there is a broken lateral or if the sand is just channelled like Butterfly is always asking! Whatever it is, we will figure it out!!

Am I replacing the incoming semi-rigid black rubber pipe coming into the pump at this point? The one from pump to sand filter is PVC, so that one's okay.

I would not replace anything right now. I think the main thing is to get to the filter. For that just do what is needed to get the filter loose.
-union in the pvc in the pipe between the pump and filter.
-closing off the water with the plugs/tennis balls

See I tend to do baby steps. One problem at a time.

The replacement of the the other stuff will be later AND I will beg someone else to lead the way!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would not replace anything right now. I think the main thing is to get to the filter. For that just do what is needed to get the filter loose.
-union in the pvc in the pipe between the pump and filter.
-closing off the water with the plugs/tennis balls

See I tend to do baby steps. One problem at a time.

Baby steps are good :)

Here's what I got:

PVC cutters to make my life easier :)

IMG_4528.jpg

1.5" plugs for skimmer and return jet:

8412cc6d-8a16-4d2d-84e3-ad840eed1600.jpg

1.5" PVC Union fitting and epoxy for "black to white" which is what the guy at Rona told me that I needed (hope he is right):

fe55dbc9-ad33-4d56-a155-56abd4f05bc3.jpg

I chatted with the pool guy and showed him my photos. Interestingly, he said my plumbing set-up is done well with proper sealing between hoses and the openings...but I just lack shut-off valves. He said that 90% of his customers use "Flexall" black hose which is flexible PVC. I could not find a product by this name on the internet to show you, but I did find Kaf-flex which looks exactly like it (and you can read more about it HERE):

Blackflexiblehose.jpg

Anyway, I talked to him about the debris from the return jet, and he said he'd "bet his paycheque" that it was the seal for the multi-port valve that is not shutting or sealing properly after adjusting between settings and that I should take the pin out and remove the whole thing, clean it, lube it, and put it back together. See if that solves the problem. If it doesn't he thinks that the key/seal needs replacing. Just in case he's right, I bought this to save me a trip to the store (he said I can return it if I don't need it):

e3d4b2aa-d53a-4cf4-b9b2-5827b11d9230.jpg

He said the only way that debris that large could be due to the sand filter is if there is a broken lateral and all the sand is already gone. He said it would be very obvious if I had a broken lateral because there would be sand below the return jet and spread out over the bottom of the pool in a fan-shape. Since I have not noticed ANY sand, he said he doubts it's a broken lateral and instead thinks it's due to the multi-port seal.

I am calling on the experts to voice your opinion on this! What do you think?

I'm back! I used my Manual Catfish Pool Blaster vacuum (I love that thing!), and here's what I found:

IMG_4532.jpg

IMG_4534.jpg

That definitely looks like sand that is sticking to the leaves and debris, doesn't it? :(

So, it's looking more and more like it is a broken lateral, doesn't it? Is it possible that it could still be the key/seal (diffuser with gasket)? Or should I just abandon that theory altogether?

Kim, from that video link that you sent to me, the man says that you need those caps in addition to the union fitting to first adhere to the end of each pipe before attaching to the union fitting. Is that how you did it? Are those caps necessary in addition to the union fitting? If so, I will have to go back to Rona tomorrow. And what are those caps called? He just said you need "this" but didn't identify what "this" is called, LOL!

On another note, look! I have a bottom step!!

IMG_4535.jpg

I had forgotten that the 4th one was there :)

And the rest of the pool:

IMG_4536.jpg

Those caps are ONLY if the inside of the union is threaded. Yours do not look threaded.

How mine are is the pipe fits right inside the unions without any cap or such.

I like those plugs. Looks like you got good help!

Hose set up at filter-It has worked this long so it is set up good BUT it will be interesting to see if your pool has good pressure with the distance. My main concern has been the distance from pump/filter to pool.

Step by baby step! Getting closer!

I see the bottom step as well! The color is getting better!!! SWEET!

That sure DOES look like sand. I wonder, oh how I wonder, how much sand is left in the filter and what it looks like. But I also know we will get great pics!

Okay do you know what to do next? As in how much to cut from the black pipe to put in the union? Just in case here is what my husband said............
-use a tape measure
-you should be able to see where the pipe will stop inside the union on each side
-measure the part that will be between the pipes. It will not be much.
-THAT is how much you will cut out of the black pipe

I say play with your union so you really understand how it works.

-when you are ready to put the union on the pipe you will have the union in two pieces

I would practice putting the union on the pipe WITHOUT putting on the glue as the glue sets FAST.

-do the glue like on the video
-as you push the union on make sure to turn it and push at the same time until the pipe hits the inside of the union
-let it sit as long as the directions on your glue can says

There will be some water coming out of the pipes and LOTS of water when you are working on the filter. Think ahead on how to route the water out like we talked about before.

You CAN do this! We are here for you as you do it!

Oh and cut the power to your pump!

Kim

Those caps are ONLY if the inside of the union is threaded. Yours do not look threaded.

No, you're right. The union inside is NOT threaded.

Okay do you know what to do next? As in how much to cut from the black pipe to put in the union? Just in case here is what my husband said............
-use a tape measure
-you should be able to see where the pipe will stop inside the union on each side
-measure the part that will be between the pipes. It will not be much.
-THAT is how much you will cut out of the black pipe

I measured, it's between about 1/2". I am assuming that it is ideal to put the union as close to the sand filter as possible. How many inches away from the sand filter should I leave?

I say play with your union so you really understand how it works.

I actually have some extra pieces of 1.5" pipes, so I'm going to "practice"...without the epoxy, of course!

There will be some water coming out of the pipes and LOTS of water when you are working on the filter. Think ahead on how to route the water out like we talked about before.

This is why I was asking whether I should do the pipe from skimmer to pump FIRST so that I can then shut the water off while I'm working on the pipe from pump to sand filter. Not with a union fitting, but with one of those black flippy valves. Or a two-way Jandy valve. Then there wouldn't be any water coming out of the pipes, right? And what setting do I use on the sand filter while I'm working on this pipe from pump to sand filter? Does it matter? I know it will be unplugged, but do I need to change the multi-port to the CLOSED setting?

You CAN do this! We are here for you as you do it!

Thanks, Kim! Big HUGS to you!! And to everyone else as well!

I've thought a lot about this overnight, and I love that you are keeping me focused with baby steps so that it's not too overwhelming...but I need to see the big picture and have a Plan A, Plan B, and Plan C!! So, Baby Step #1 is installing the union from the pump to sand filter. Got it. I would think that I also need to install unions from return to sand filter and waste to sand filter so that I can lift the multi-port up and remove it from the top of my sand filter, right? So, really, I need to have 3 union fittings on hand. Plus a black flippy valve or 2-way Jandy valve if I'm doing the one from skimmer to pump and, if so, shouldn't that be Baby Step #1??

Next, after the unions are all on, then I can unscrew the two bolts on either side of the sand filter's collar to lift the multi-port up and away. At this point, I'm not doing a "deep cleaning" because we need to see whether I have a broken lateral. I watched a couple of YouTube videos on changing the sand in a sand filter. One guy said just unplug the bottom of the sand filter and the water with sand will just come pouring out the bottom. Others don't mention unplugging the bottom but just use a shop vac through the top instead. Wouldn't it be faster to just unplug the bottom and let 'er rip?

If I do have a broken lateral, what is the next step? I need to know in advance if this is (a) something that I can fix and (b) what I need in order to do it. I need to have the proper materials and tools on hand. The last thing that I want, and this is the part that gives me nightmares, is that I have the sand filter dismantled and that there IS a broken lateral and that I cannot fix it...and then I'm waiting a week for a service call from the pool guys, and what will that do to the water in the pool with no working pump?? Water that I've worked so hard on to clear??

If there isn't a broken lateral, then I guess I just need to put the sand back in. At that point, I may as well put in clean sand instead of trying to scoop the wet sand from the shop vac back inside. So, I will also need to have enough sand on hand to re-fill the sand filter.

Am I missing something? The way that I see it, I need to buy 2 more union fittings, a black flippy valve or 2-way Jandy valve (I like the Jandy better), 225 lbs of sand (wow, is that right?? that's what it says on the filter label), and whatever is needed to fix a broken lateral (help on this, please!).

Are there any other scenarios that I should be prepared for? Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Doing great, keep it up!

Thanks, Matt!

I hope this shows up. It is a pic with labels.

https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/Parts Diagrams/ProSeries-Top-Mount-2.pdf

This shows what I THINK your filter looks like inside. Part 8 is a lateral! I HOPE your helpful place has these. They just screw and unscrew from the pipe! You CAN replace them with ease ONCE you get the sand out and can get to them.

I do agree with just replacing the sand. Although I guess you could wash it out while it is in the shop vac. It is up to you.

The undoing of the bottom did NOT work for me. I could not get it loose. I just hand scooped the sand out. (I did not know about the shop vac idea :(

Multi port-I do not think it matters but am not sure. ANYONE??? My gut says it does not matter where it is set........

I hope I touched everything.

Kim

Help!

I am trying to replace the key/assembly for the multi-port JUST to rule out that this is a factor. I replaced the part, thought that I've put it back together again, and plugged it in and water is coming out the top by the handle. What am I doing wrong? I tried putting the key in both positions with the chambers at the top and then chambers at the bottom and either way the water is coming out! Help!!

Oh man! I have NO idea! I have not had to do this.

Have you looked on line for a video on how it is done?

Was there a gasket? Did you put the gasket back in?

Kim, I figured it out. The gasket is attached, it's one unit. I put the old one back on, and it works like a charm. But I realize now that there are o-rings in the shaft of the key that I did not put on the new one. I am not going to pry them off, because they'll stretch out and probably break. I will get new o-rings tomorrow for the new key and try that out. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.