Newbie! needing help with chemistry. confused

pictures please, but at this point I am thinking that your floor is plumbed to the 2nd hole in one of the skimmers and as such you can not isolate suction from the floor well enough (the float diverter is not a good seal).

Re: Cya > 100

Also I'd suggest you keep all your questions etc in your original post instead of starting a new thread with each new question so everyone can read your complete history with your pool instead of having to jump back and forth to your different post.

Thanks for merging jbizzle...it was getting confusing. Lindz.....I'd suggest renting a sump pump. You'll have it done in a few hours, refill, get new numbers w your test kit, post them here and everyone will be glad to help. I'm rather new myself but can tell you your problem isn't that big...at least your pool is clear and you can probably get everything leveled out rather quickly as soon as you get the CYA under control. From experience I can say I stayed so confused at first that I just read ALL of pool school, etc over and over and over. I think I can recite it all by heart :D. And I have a sparkly pool....after a cya level over 200 and FC of 45...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So looks like I can only drain by a sump pump or siphoning? I think Ill just scream now :)
If you post a picture of your valves and pump someone might be able to tell you if you can drain from the bottom through waste, or if not just rent a cheap pump. It took 2+ days to drain my big boy with a pump, you would be looking at something like < 1 day to get down to 1/2 drain. I would also drain/refill (recirc for 30 min) drain/refill and then test CYA. If > 100 ; do the diluted test.

I know it seems overwhelming but in a few weeks you will be amazed at how easy it really is.

If I have access to two 550 gallon tanks and a pump. Which is my best bet: tap water through garden hose (way slower but water will be closer chemistry wise I suppose ) or creek water ?(way faster but i would think more time on chemicals) Also.... when I drain to just above shallow end (shallow end is 3.5ft) how much do you estimate being left in pool??? Pool is 20000 gallons. 5.5 deep end. 18x36

- - - Updated - - -

I have pics on my phone of pump but the it keeps saying upload failed. I am on the go so I can't use laptop at this time

If you go through the search function for creek water or pond water, you'll find that people who use those sources end up fighting the chemistry for weeks. Tap water is a much better bet.

Figure your average depth is 4.5 ft or 54 inches If you want to exchange 25%, .25*54 = 13.5" 50% is 27 inches.

And refilling with per tap water ... wouldnt it make sense to maybe run two hoses if possible in the pool at same time??? The water dept may come looking for me :)

- - - Updated - - -

And using pond water just sounds very gross btw!!!

Reckon if I use 2 hoses how long it would take to fill it back up from half? I am going to test my cya after the first fill up even though it looks like it will be useless.

It really depends on your water pressure and plumbing, so it's hard to gauge.

If it helps, when I did my 7 drain/fill sessions (I could only do about 1/5 of the volume at a time) two hoses filled about 1,000 gal an hour, give or take.

No main drain and I didn't have (convenient) access to a submersible pump. The wall drain on my in ground is a little over a foot below the skimmer line. I tried using vacuum and a hose, but I couldn't get it to work without the pump sucking air after a bit and losing its prime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.