Newbie! needing help with chemistry. confused

Hé he water here is always free, from the sky or from the hose :rolleyes:

I wish that were true for everyone but nope--------several people have to pay for their water at their house. They have a water meter and are charged each month for the amount of water they use. Different areas pay different rates so it varies quite a bit.

I am one of the lucky ones. I am on a well and the water is WONDERFUL! I do have to pay for the pump to run on the well so....

Kim

The previous owners had well h2o here but it came from the adjoining land which they kept with the sale. So we were connected to municipal. It is fairly cheap. Our normal usage is 2000-2500 gallons per month and the bill is around 30-35 bucks. Not bad. The well water the house was connected to came from a former hog barn so I wouldn't have used it in this house if I could!!!

Im curious as if I need to open up the clear filter portion of the pump and pour more water each time I drain below skimmer then refil. My pump has still been primed each time and strong pressure in jets. Is there any need long as the pump is pumping water strong??? The water in the clear cover came all the way up to the top instantly when I turned my pump on. May sound dumb but the last thing I want to do is have to replace the stupid pump. It is only 1.5 yo. Reason I even ask is the pump sounds a tad different. Like more of a pulsating sound. Probably just me worrying too much

Not dumb at all.

What I do is get the water where I want it in the pool. I then shut off all of the valves coming out of the pool. I open the clear cover and take out the basket and clean it if needed. I put the basket back in THEN I crack open one of the valves to let in just enough water so that it starts to overflow just a tiny bit. I then close the valve and put the top back on tight. That way there is no question there is water going to the pump.

Do you know about the o-ring lube you can and should put on the o-rings? It looks like this:

http://www.instockpoolsupply.com/Magic_Lube_630_p/630.htm?gclid=CLiqweXRycUCFZOFaQodHJgA1Q

There are many different kinds. It helps the o-ring seal.

Kim

Alright!!!! I done another drain... So, here's my tally:

1st drain: 19 inches below skim line
2nd drain: 6 inches below skim line
3rd drain: 4.5 inches below skim line

So, my total drainage is approx 29.5 inches

Some math whiz help me out here and check my math...
I did keep up with my water meter with yesterday's drain (#2) and I refilled about 2800 gallons. That was 6 inches below skim line.

So-- 6 inches = approx. 2800 gallons
2800/6= 467
467 gallons are in one inch
467*29.5=13,765 gallons drained

Am I close or not? I wasn't a math genius by NO means!

I am out of cya test so I am patiently waiting until tomorrow for it to be delivered and praying that my cya level is down to a manageable point this time and I can get my bleach in there before I have a green pool.

I tested this afternoon before the last drain and here were my numbers:
FC: 2.4
CC:0.2
ALK:40
PH: really don't know. took 21 drops to get to 7.4
CH: 60

Didn't have any cya testing material left to test

Once you get a CYA reading, we'll know how close the math was.

In the meantime... your TA and pH are very low. You can go Borax and Baking Soda, but Washing Soda/Soda Ash/pH up will do it all for you with just one chemical. If you can't find Washing Soda in the laundry aisle somewhere, go to the hardware store or pool store and buy some pH up. It should show the ingredient as Sodium Carbonate, not Bicarbonate.

Add 1.5 Kg of Washing Soda and let it mix and recheck it. It might need more, but HUGE adjustments are difficult to calculate and you don't want to overshoot. Let it mix an hour or so with the pump on and maybe brush a little before retesting. Take it up in steps until the pH color starts to look like something in the middle of the tester.

Once you get a CYA reading, we'll know how close the math was.

In the meantime... your TA and pH are very low. You can go Borax and Baking Soda, but Washing Soda/Soda Ash/pH up will do it all for you with just one chemical. If you can't find Washing Soda in the laundry aisle somewhere, go to the hardware store or pool store and buy some pH up. It should show the ingredient as Sodium Carbonate, not Bicarbonate.

Add 1.5 Kg of Washing Soda and let it mix and recheck it. It might need more, but HUGE adjustments are difficult to calculate and you don't want to overshoot. Let it mix an hour or so with the pump on and maybe brush a little before retesting. Take it up in steps until the pH color starts to look like something in the middle of the tester.

I like a few inches on this refill and I can treat it. I have this in stock at the house... 24lbs of baking soda and two boxes of Borax and( 5) 121 oz of bleach.

What can I do with the Borax and Baking soda?

Well, I think I am going to scream.... Got my stuff in today to redo my cya testing after approximately 50-60% water dump and my cya level is still 200 (diluted test). I don't understand!!! The first time I done the diluted test it was right about the cya letters at the bottom below the 100 mark. This time the diluted test showed it at 100. So it is 200. I'm really at a loss for words. All of that time and money spent draining and still at 200. I drained it approx. 30 inches below the skim line (that is accumulative in between three sep. drain/refills). That took it about 1 foot left in the shallow end. So aggravated :(

pH was 7.0
FC 7.2
TA 80
CC 0

water temp 76

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I really don't understand the reading! I mean I drained about half at least!!! After the first drain my diluted like I said was just at the CYA word.(drained 19 inches) After second drain (drained additional 6 inches) it was just a notch below 100 (guess 220ish?) So, then I drained again (4.5 inches) and now it is 200. From my calculations from my second drain, 6 inches, equaled around 2800 gallons. Reason I know is I looked before fill and after fill and that is what my meter registered. So, an inch equals around 467 gallons for my pool. I drained 29.5 inches in all for around 13,777 gallons!!! My pool is 20,000! I drained the 67% the pool calculator called for.

There is a lot of error when you start diluting the test ... and it is logarithmic scale, so even a little below the 100 is a big CYA jump.

You do not know what PoolMath was recommending was right because you do not know how high the CYA started.

And you can not just add up all the smaller fills and say they are the same as a single drain and fill because in subsequent drains the CYA has been diluted.

If you drained 1/3 and filled 3 times. Your CYA would then be 30% (0.667 * 0.667 * 0.667) of where you started .... even though in total you added 100% of the capacity of the pool.

You have to just keep draining and replacing until the CYA is reasonable ... and then remember this pain to avoid the same problem in the future.

There is a lot of error when you start diluting the test ... and it is logarithmic scale, so even a little below the 100 is a big CYA jump.

You do not know what PoolMath was recommending was right because you do not know how high the CYA started.

And you can not just add up all the smaller fills and say they are the same as a single drain and fill because in subsequent drains the CYA has been diluted.

If you drained 1/3 and filled 3 times. Your CYA would then be 30% (0.667 * 0.667 * 0.667) of where you started .... even though in total you added 100% of the capacity of the pool.

You have to just keep draining and replacing until the CYA is reasonable ... and then remember this pain to avoid the same problem in the future.

Well, I couldn't drain large amounts at a time due to my liner condition and age. And I inherited someone else's problem :( He kept 12 pucks in it at all times and shocked it weekly regardless.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like I am peeing in the wind about how much to drain until I get it to register at least 100 on the regular cya testing. I really don't know what to do at the moment. My water bill is already going to be outrageous. Do you know of any equipment pool stores have that gives you an accurate reading when you are having to dilute for the Taylor test?

You have the best CYA test.

Let me ask you, why does it matter how high the CYA level is? If it is 500, are you going to be able to drain more than you have been? No. So just keep draining what you are able to, refill, circulate, test, repeat until you get a good CYA number.

You have the best CYA test.

Let me ask you, why does it matter how high the CYA level is? If it is 500, are you going to be able to drain more than you have been? No. So just keep draining what you are able to, refill, circulate, test, repeat until you get a good CYA number.

When I vaccum with my Polaris nothing goes to the filter? Does it go to just the bag? I was wondering if I could set it to where it would go to waste when I vaccumed with it. Trying to find ways to at least get something out of the drains. And can I backwash too much? I know that will help. Just kinda disappointed because I have worked on my pH and TA for two days to get it under control because it was both very very low.

You have a boostered pressure side cleaner. It just collects dirt in the bag.

Do you have a waste function on your filter? You could get a manual vacuum and suck the debris/water to waste.

What filter do you have? Your signature is kind of lacking in details.

All I know about my pump is it is a Hayward and it says Vari-flow xl on the valve... I do have waste function. I have been draining that way the last two times. If I do that do I block the other skimmer off with the swing-around cover and then just turn on waste and vaccum through the other skimmer?

The vari-flow is part of your filter, not your pump.

I do not know how your plumbing is setup to be able to advise you on how to isolate suction from the floor. If you are relying on the float diverters under the skimmer basket though, they are not usually air tight and you may not be able to drain very far.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.