Newbie…Need Chlorine Advice

Jasnmary

May 13, 2023
East Texas
Hey everyone! I’m trying to read through the site and learn as much as I can. New pool owner here. I took a sample to my pool store today and my FC is 1.8, my TC is 12.6 and my CC is 10.8.
The pool store suggested 2 lbs of shock and 9 pounds of non-chlorine oxidizing shock.
Does that sound reasonable? Can I do this with bleach? Thanks so much!

Does that sound reasonable?
Nope. But first .... welcome to TFP! :wave: Please do not take any action based on the pool store testing and advice. Most often their testing and advice is way off the mark.

First thing, order your own (proper) test kit. Either a TF-100 (link in my signature) or Taylor K-2006C. With reliable testing from one of those we can coach you through anything. In the meantime, use our PoolMath APP to add about 5 ppm of liquid chlorine to the water each day. If you can't find liquid chlorine, laundry bleach is fine, just weaker in strength. Only get plan/regular bleach, nothing splashless or scented.

Be sure to read our Pool Care Basics page for all things TFP. Enjoy the forum! :swim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.