Newbie installing a filter myself: plumbing size?

nostaljake

Jul 9, 2023
Bethesda, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi everyone! I'm a new pool owner and have been using TFP with great success for balancing chemicals. Thanks so much to everyone who contributes here.

I just purchased a Pentair CCP 320 filter to replace an old filter from the 1980s that is causing all sorts of problems -- leaking, shooting DE to the pool, etc.

If I'm understanding correctly, the new filter has 2" fittings. All of my PVC piping is currently 1.5", so does that mean I need to get reducer bushing? And am I correct that I want 2" MPT and 1.5" FPT, like this?

Also, more generally, is this installation something I can handle myself? I watched a couple videos and read this article and it seems doable to me, but I also don't want to risk any serious damage to the setup. Thanks so much for your advice!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: You have the right concept. Probably more than one way to do it, but that is one way. Then you would have a 1.5" male to fit into that from your plumbing line. Since the bulkhead fittings turn, some people might use an adapter with the 1.5" portion as a "slip" to glue into the in & out pipes. But yes, doing the plumbing (rigid PVC) yourself is certainly a good DIY project on the weekend. Be sure to have some extra PVC and connectors (i.e. adapters, elbows, etc) in case you make a mistake.

Feel free to post pics of your equipment pad and ask all the question you need to. I'm sure others will reply here as well.

Enjoy the forum. :swim:

Hi everyone! I'm a new pool owner and have been using TFP with great success for balancing chemicals. Thanks so much to everyone who contributes here.

I just purchased a Pentair CCP 320 filter to replace an old filter from the 1980s that is causing all sorts of problems -- leaking, shooting DE to the pool, etc.

If I'm understanding correctly, the new filter has 2" fittings. All of my PVC piping is currently 1.5", so does that mean I need to get reducer bushing? And am I correct that I want 2" MPT and 1.5" FPT, like this?

Also, more generally, is this installation something I can handle myself? I watched a couple videos and read this article and it seems doable to me, but I also don't want to risk any serious damage to the setup. Thanks so much for your advice!
On those Pentair filters, usually 1.5" pipe will fit inside the bulkhead connectors at the filter, no adapter needed. For 2" plumbing a 2" coupler would go over the outside of the connector and 2"pipe glued into it. There are no pipe-thread connections on that filter for anything to attach.

Thanks for the replies! Quick follow up question:

Since I'm already going to be working with the plumbing between the pump and filter, should I take the opportunity to install a diverter valve and waste/drain line? Is that worth the extra effort?

should I take the opportunity to install a diverter valve and waste/drain line? Is that worth the extra effort?
IMO, yes.

For my 1st build my PB just installed it with me not knowing any better. For the 2nd build, it was on the non negotiable list.

It's actually a code here for all filters now, for draining and backwashing (if applicable). They installed a dry well and a 3 way diverter valve between the pump and filter. For the 1st build they just piped it into the yard before the code came about.

Reactions: nostaljake
On those Pentair filters, usually 1.5" pipe will fit inside the bulkhead connectors at the filter, no adapter needed. For 2" plumbing a 2" coupler would go over the outside of the connector and 2"pipe glued into it. There are no pipe-thread connections on that filter for anything to attach.

So I finally looked at the filter today, and I'm not seeing how a 1.5" pipe would connect directly without reducer bushing. The bulkhead connector is 1.5" x 2", and it really seems like the 1.5" side is meant to connect to the filter so it sits flush. Which would leave the 2" side for the plumbing line. Am I misunderstanding something?

IMO, yes.

Cool, I picked up a 3-way Jandy diverter valve. So I assume I'm doing this?
Pump --> Diverter --> To waste/drain line on one side and to filter on other side

Oh, and on the waste/drain line, do I need to use any special PVC? Or can I still use regular 1.5" PVC and then just connect one of those floppy blue hoses to the end?

Pump --> Diverter --> To waste/drain line on one side and to filter on other side
Exactly. Here's a pic. The red arrow is to waste. It can be PVC as far as you'd like, or switch to hose wherever it's convenient

Once I passed inspection, I cut the drain pipe and use it to water the grass right there when I have to drain.

Screenshot_20230827_165915_Gallery.jpg

Reactions: nostaljake
So I finally looked at the filter today, and I'm not seeing how a 1.5" pipe would connect directly without reducer bushing. The bulkhead connector is 1.5" x 2", and it really seems like the 1.5" side is meant to connect to the filter so it sits flush. Which would leave the 2" side for the plumbing line. Am I misunderstanding something?
1.5" X 2" is 1.5" ID X 2" OD.
If Pentair made a change and 2" pipe will go directly into the bulkhead fitting, then yes, you need reducer bushings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.