Newbie Here

Nice!!! Congrats!

If you found value, you might consider becoming a supporter...we are entirely member funded...and you get discounts at TFTestkits and a nice badge...

Reactions: cdadams1223
Nice!!! Congrats!

If you found value, you might consider becoming a supporter...we are entirely member funded...and you get discounts at TFTestkits and a nice badge...

I definitely will! I've told a few friends of mine that have pools about this site. It's been pretty dang awesome and all of you are so helpful!

Reactions: PoolStored
So as the FC falls back down to normal level, I guess it’s at that time that I should increase my CYA to 70-90? It was 50 when I started the SLAM. Do I need to run all the tests and then post back? Just want to make sure I’m doing things right. Thanks!

So as the FC falls back down to normal level, I guess it’s at that time that I should increase my CYA to 70-90? It was 50 when I started the SLAM. Do I need to run all the tests and then post back? Just want to make sure I’m doing things right. Thanks!
I always do a full set after SLAM so I know where I'm at & anything else that needs resolved

Here’s my post SLAM results:

FC: 11
CC: 0
pH: 7.8
TA: 80
CH: 200
CYA: 50
Salt: 3600
Temp: 84 deg

I know that I need to bump CYA up to 70 at the lowest given I have a SWG. That puts my ideal range of FC at 5-10. I need to figure out what percentage to keep my SWG running at to meet said demand level.

Any thoughts on the above? Thanks!

Question for the team…SLAM has been done. All things are doing mostly well but my FC is 13 right now and pH was at least 8.2. I just added enough Muriatic acid to reduce it to 7.6. Once the pH is good, is this thing swimmable with the FC 3ppm over the suggested 6-10 range? I’ve got some kids that are itching to get in!

Question for the team…SLAM has been done. All things are doing mostly well but my FC is 13 right now and pH was at least 8.2. I just added enough Muriatic acid to reduce it to 7.6. Once the pH is good, is this thing swimmable with the FC 3ppm over the suggested 6-10 range? I’ve got some kids that are itching to get in!
Go Swim. NOW!!!! FC safe up to SLAM level for humans and equipment.

Lets Go GIF by The Fast Saga
Pool Swimming GIF

• Haha

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I know that I need to bump CYA up to 70 at the lowest given I have a SWG. That puts my ideal range of FC at 5-10. I need to figure out what percentage to keep my SWG running at to meet said demand level.
You are good to go. 70 is a nice number to start with. Keep yourself at the high end of the range. At 70, I just keep it at 10. I can have demand up to 5.5 in May/June/July with sun, and swimmers. Keeps me above minimum! 10 - 5.5 = 4.5. Nice.

You are good to go. 70 is a nice number to start with. Keep yourself at the high end of the range. At 70, I just keep it at 10. I can have demand up to 5.5 in May/June/July with sun, and swimmers. Keeps me above minimum! 10 - 5.5 = 4.5. Nice.
Go Swim. NOW!!!! FC safe up to SLAM level for humans and equipment.

Lets Go GIF by The Fast Saga
Pool Swimming GIF
Ahhhh…so it’s the SLAM level that I pay attention to as far as swim safety? Not the FC/CYA range?!?

Also, what do I need to do about the continual rise in my pH?

Ahhhh…so it’s the SLAM level that I pay attention to as far as swim safety? Not the FC/CYA range?!?
Think of it this way. FC/CYA sanitizes the water (kills the bad stuff). Below it you get bacteria and algae. SLAM is the upper limit of safety for people and equipment.

You wanna be goldy locks. Just right.

Don't test ph when fc > 10
So if I don’t know the pH how do I know if it’s swim safe?
When it gets to 8, reduce it to 7.6 with muratic acid.
When it gets to 8, reduce it to 7.6 with muratic acid.
That’s what I’ve been doing. I just don’t understand why it’s always rising. Is it my SWG? I don’t have aeration going (a few deck jets) unless the kids are in. Am I always going to have to reduce the pH? Sorry for the dumb questions.

Think of it this way. FC/CYA sanitizes the water (kills the bad stuff). Below it you get bacteria and algae. SLAM is the upper limit of safety for people and equipment.

Man that helps me so much!!! I was initially thinking that the upper limits of my FC/CYA relationship (range of 5-10…no lower than 3) was the safe level to swim, i.e. 10. My SLAM level with a CYA is a FC of 28. So I’m good to swim up to that point?

That’s what I’ve been doing. I just don’t understand why it’s always rising. Is it my SWG? I don’t have aeration going (a few deck jets) unless the kids are in. Am I always going to have to reduce the pH? Sorry for the dumb questions.
If you are testing when fC is above 10, your pH will look high. And you will try to reduce it. But when you go test again, it will still look high. pH test is invalid when FC is above 10. Stop testing pH when FC > 10.

Let FC drift back down to 8-9, THEN test pH.

Man that helps me so much!!! I was initially thinking that the upper limits of my FC/CYA relationship (range of 5-10…no lower than 3) was the safe level to swim, i.e. 10. My SLAM level with a CYA is a FC of 28. So I’m good to swim up to that point?
Yes, IF and ONLY IF you can see the bottom at the deepest point.
Understood! Thanks @PoolStored!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.