Hello - I'm a new pool owner and I purchased a Polaris 280 cleaner. Has anyone else run into a problem with the adapter being lager than the output/return pipe?
1.5" is the standard size for a return jet, thus the size of the quick-disco for the cleaner. What size are you connecting to?

Welcome to TFP.
Is your plumbing set up for a pressure side cleaner such as the 280? You should have a booster pump and from that is a dedicated line to the pool. The 280 has has a universal walll fitting (UWF) that adapts to the pipe leading from the booster pump.

You may want to show some pictures of what you have in the wall and the part you are trying to fit in.

Welcome to TFP.
Is your plumbing set up for a pressure side cleaner such as the 280? You should have a booster pump and from that is a dedicated line to the pool. The 280 has has a universal walll fitting (UWF) that adapts to the pipe leading from the booster pump.

You may want to show some pictures of what you have in the wall and the part you are trying to fit in.
I didn’t request for the pool to be set up for the 280 specifically. There is a ‘cleaner’ pipe connected to the filter pump(suction). It has a spring loading flap type cap in the pool.

I didn’t request for the pool to be set up for the 280 specifically. There is a ‘cleaner’ pipe connected to the filter pump(suction). It has a spring loading flap type cap in the pool.
I think you have a Suction side cleaner set up on the plumbing. A suction side cleaner would connect to that flap opening. Did the PB or store tell you to purchase a 280 which is a pressure side cleaner?
Pictures of your equipment pad with close ups of the suction plumbing and return plumbing would help. Also, the specific pipe in the pool that is the connection.

As Herman said, if your pool is plumbed for a cleaner on the suction side, you have the wrong pool cleaner. The Polaris 280 is a "pressure" cleaner. It uses the pressure of water returning to the pool to operate.

The cap you described is also known as a vac-lock. It's an adapter that screws into the 1.5" fitting on the cleaner line. Search "suction cleaner" on Google and you'll get dozens of options that will plug into that vaclock. My personal favorites are the two wheeled variety Rebel/Aquanaut/Poolvergnuegen. We have dozens and dozens of these and they perform more reliably than any other one we've used.

Pictures are helpful though to be sure this recent change in advice is correct.

Reactions: HermanTX
Thank you for your comments and advice.

The PB added an overflow drain which permits the pool to maintain a specific level after heavy rain. I repurposed the drain and converted it into a dedicated line for the pressure cleaner. Works great and does require a power booster pump

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.