Nov 16, 2022
West Covina, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello,
I am excited that my pool project was completed last weekend. I was thinking to pay for an online pool lesson to learn how to take care of it. But after spending a day reading "Pool School" and forums in TFP, I am confident that I can learn more here than anywhere else.
I am happy to join and support this wonderful community. Please don't mind if I ask some noob questions in the near future.

Reactions: hedchange
Hey SkyWing and Welcome !!!
Please don't mind if I ask some noob questions in the near future.
Please ask. Anytime. If you do something you're unsure of, we have several problems to fix, not just the one. Don't worry we'll gladly help with those too, but it's much preferred for all parties to have less issues going on. :)

You found pool school. (y) here's a link for easy finding. Pool Care Basics

And the obligatory eye candy How Clear is TFP Clear?

I can learn more here than anywhere else.
No question! Good Choice! Welcome.

Make sure you follow this --> LINK FC/CYA Levels
Joining Welcome Home GIF

Thank you and glad to meet you all! I have just done...
✔️ Pool Math app downloaded
✔️ TF-Pro with Smart Stir ordered
✔️ Add 4 3-in chlorine tabs in the floater

The Pool start-up tech had water balanced for me and now it's on my own. Here is my current read from the test strip.
IMG_5360.jpg

Everything seems in the correct range, only the pH looks slightly lower. I have read that curing plaster will drive the pH up, so I guess it is ok for now.
Can you suggest what chemical I should prepare for the coming month? I assume Muriatic acid to lower pH?

Can you suggest what chemical I should prepare for the coming month? I assume Muriatic acid to lower pH?
Chlorine stabilizer, muriatic acid and Liquid Chlorine. We don't recommend pucks for a variety of reasons. The main one being it adds CYA. When CYA gets too high, you can't get enough FC into the water to sanitize. And the only way to get rid of it is to drain the pool.

We recommend liquid chlorine or Salt Water Chlorine Generator

It is probably ok to use pucks until your CYA comes up to 30-50ppm, then switch to liquid chlorine or SWCG.

Last edited:
Reactions: skywingkk
I have just done...
✔️ Pool Math app downloaded
✔️ TF-Pro with Smart Stir ordered
:party:

Add 4 3-in chlorine tabs in the floater

Here is my current read from the test strip.

tumblr_mp2l3l2HQ01ro5xweo1_400.gif

KIDDING !!! You can't do much until the kit comes. GREAT choice btw.

Tabs add CYA because that's how they stabilize the chlorine. The 3 over the counter ways to do that are CYA, Calcium (shock powders / Cal-Hypo) or water (bleach). You'll want to be on bleach (liquid chlorine) asap so you don't jack the CYA or CH levels.

Both only come out by draining, and more CYA raises the amount of chlorine needed to sanitize at the same efficiency. See the CYA/FC chart linked above. At each CYA increase you need a proportionate increase of FC due to their relationship. CYA does degrade on its own, but it's a slooooow process and will take too long once it's high.

After these tabs, sell the rest on FB marketplace. 'Blue' (Xtra-Blue, etc) is industry code for copper which is a terrible thing to add to the pool. It builds and eventually stains surfaces and swimmers. It messes up your shorts and turns blond hair green. It also only comes out with draining, and like the whole pool, not 15%. Most chlorox products contain additives you don't want. For now, avoid anything Chlorox.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Tabs add CYA because that's how they stabilize the chlorine. The 3 over the counter ways to do that are CYA, Calcium (shock powders / Cal-Hypo) or water (bleach). You'll want to be on bleach (liquid chlorine) asap so you don't jack the CYA or CH levels.

Both only come out by draining, and more CYA raises the amount of chlorine needed to sanitize at the same efficiency. See the CYA/FC chart linked above. At each CYA increase you need a proportionate increase of FC due to their relationship. CYA does degrade on its own, but it's a slooooow process and will take too long once it's high.

After these tabs, sell the rest on FB marketplace. 'Blue' (Xtra-Blue, etc) is industry code for copper which is a terrible thing to add to the pool. It builds and eventually stains surfaces and swimmers. It messes up your shorts and turns blond hair green. It also only comes out with draining, and like the whole pool, not 15%. Most chlorox products contain additives you don't want. For now, avoid anything Chlorox.

Wow, thank you for that useful information. I will start using liquid chlorine then.
Something like this right? Any particular one that you recommend? Or just buy whatever brand that I can find in the store?
1674770840453.png

Wow, thank you for that useful information. I will start using liquid chlorine then.
Something like this right? Any particular one that you recommend? Or just buy whatever brand that I can find in the store?
Yep, or Bleach. HOWEVER, NO Clorox, no blue anything, no splashless, no fragrance, no fabric softener. JUST PLAIN BLEACH.

Something like this right? Any particular one that you recommend
EXACTLY those. 'Chlorinating liquid' is usually 10%, household bleaches are 6% and less value besides all the polymers added to make them splashless, colormax'd or grape flavor.

In a pinch, 'disinfecting bleach' in the cleaning aisle is plain jane usually, but also weaker. The labels always have the strengths listed and it's all 'Sodium Hyperchlorite'

Also check the date code, it's Julian. It will have a # with 22XXX ( or maybe XXX23). The 22/23 is the year and the XXX is the day # of that year. May 15th is the 135th day of the year so it would read 22135(whole bunch of more numbers). Bleach degrades so you want it 3 months old or less when possible, then store it out of the heat. If you have weak bleach you just need more of it, no harm other than to your wallet.

Or just buy whatever brand that I can find in the store?
Chlorine sourcing and pricing is a "thing" around here...

62 pages!

I went liquid chlorine AFTER I had been pool stored and learned the CYA trap. Put in a tank with a pump and it worked great. Then @Newdude FORCED ME, by THREAT OF PHYSICAL VIOLENCE, to get a Salt Water Chlorine Generator. After 3 days, I was impressed. After 7 days, I told him SWCG was boring...nothing to do. NOW, I will fill in the pool before you will take my SWCG away from me.

If I could give my newly PoolStored self any advice, go get a Salt Water Chlorine Generator...NOW.

Last edited:
Chlorine sourcing and pricing is a "thing" around here...

62 pages!

I went liquid chlorine AFTER I had been pool stored and learned the CYA trap. Put in a tank with a pump and it worked great. Then @Newdude FORCED ME, by THREAT OF PHYSICAL VIOLENCE, to get a Salt Water Chlorine Generator. After 3 days, I was impressed. After 7 days, I told him SWCG was boring...nothing to do. NOW, I will fill in the pool before you will take my SWCG away from me.

If I could give my newly PoolStored self any advice, go get a Salt Water Chlorine Generator...NOW.

Thanks for the advice.
After reading posts here, I think I will eventually get a SWCG. Need to give my wallet a break now.
Can you also recommend one SWCG for 20k pool? So I can know how much I should save up.

Thanks for the advice.
After reading posts here, I think I will eventually get a SWCG. Need to give my wallet a break now.
Can you also recommend one SWCG for 20k pool? So I can know how much I should save up.
That’s a good question. You want at least a 40k cell for your pool, the bigger the better. Discountsaltpools.com has a nice comparison chart here:

Do you have automation?

Thanks for the advice.
Hi neighbor.

Make the move to a SWG sooner than later. Prices will only continue to rise as demand and productions costs increase. It will pay for itself in chlorine savings, but eliminating the need to add chlorine each day is priceless. Select a unit rated for at least twice your pool's volume.

Circupool units are well-regarded here on TFP. The unit linked below is on sale now. The current price is what I paid a couple years ago. It got up to over $1,500 last year. You'll need to take advantage of the $10 upgrade to the RJ-45 model. I installed this unit a couple years ago and it has been working well for me.

Best wishes.

I have a bucket Clorox Pool & Spa XtraBlue 3" Chlorinating Tablets from Costco.
Beware. Those have copper sulfate in them and are adding copper to your pool water. Copper builds up and eventually will turn blonde hair and fingernails green and stain the pool surfaces. Best to eliminate the use of that product as soon as you can.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support