New to the Forum Need Help

Thanks. I just put 3lb in a tube sock and in the skimmer it went. It calls for 6lb but starting out slow. Funny thing I had to go to the pool store that I have used for 15 years to get my CYA stabilizer I could not find it at lowes or any where else, but they know me by my first name and ask Paul what do you need today and I told them I have went to the BBB for my pool now and of course they had a long line and the Manger took me in the back and gave me my stabilizer and checked me out in front of many people to get me out the door you think I parted the Red Sea or something. Thought it was funny.

SSHHH!!!! You discovered the secret.

Based on that it seems like that PS knows what you are doing is right ... unlike the ones around here that either think you are crazy, or talk to you like you are an idiot (although maybe the know the truth and are putting on a show)

Feels great even if Im new at it. Sure makes things simple once you have the help on here. Im sure alot more Questions to come. Bad storms here tonight them old Kansas tornado are lurking around. I really dont care as long as they dont mess up my water. Cant wait to check it. Thanks to every one that help me here it is good to know help is only a click away.

New results let me know FC and CC 0.5 PH 7.2 TA 70 CYA 10 maybe I knows it better then before the black dot is smaller. I will be adding more stabilizer. To the pool calcuator I go. Any thoughts since the last test? Thanks

pr1961 said:
New results let me know FC and CC 0.5 PH 7.2 TA 70 CYA 10 maybe I knows it better then before the black dot is smaller. I will be adding more stabilizer. To the pool calcuator I go. Any thoughts since the last test? Thanks
Assuming there was no other cya put in except the three pounds (seeing you have already used pucks it seems this is not a safe assumption), then pool calculator give me a level of 20 ppm cya for 18000 gallons. It can take up to a week for cya to show up in the test.

Sounds like your FC levels are low and you may still have CC (having 0.5 show up with low FC scares me a little). Are planning on doing the shocking process? If you are I would hold off adding anymore cya till that is done.

Three pounds was it I have a good weight scale. If the FC scares you it really scares me. Was FC 3.8 and the CC 0.6 yesterday. If I need to shock I will we did have some bad storms would that make such a difference?

pr1961 said:
Three pounds was it I have a good weight scale. If the FC scares you it really scares me. Was FC 3.8 and the CC 0.6 yesterday. If I need to shock I will we did have some bad storms would that make such a difference?
So assuming you have no more than a trace from the pucks, your three pounds should only raise you to 20 ppm.

How is your water looking? You may want to try and Overnight Chlorine Loss test (OCLT), the instructions are here: EDIT: linked fixedhttp://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/overnight_fc_test, I would raise the FC up a few ppm before doing the test, maybe ~10 ppm.

Pouring Rain. No rain in two months and this is about right with my luck! I will raise the FC I will run it through the calculator to see how much bleach to add. And report back. How long do I wait to do my check for any chlorine loss? Overnight or longer also my pump has been running 24hrs straight since Monday man that water is clear!

I gave you the wrong link my previous post for the OCLT :oops: Here is the right one:http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/overnight_fc_test

You take a FC reading after the sun is off the pool, then you do not add any more chlorine until you take a FC reading the next morning and subtrate the two.

The rain is going to make it more difficult, but you can still try. Post your numbers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Rained all night Im sure all my neighbors thought I was nuts. Brought my FC up for the for the overnight FC test in the pouring down rain. But here we go. The FC 10 last night it was brought up to 11 but my CC stayed at 0.5 the PH came up to 7.6 All the stab 3lb in the sock is gone. Now I did not check my CYA today but I did yesterday and the old dot was smaller then the very first test I took on Friday the 26th I know now that it takes time for that to come up. Do I go ahead and add the other 3lb of stab or wait? My FC only drop 1 overnight even with all the rain I guess that is a good thing? Now what? Im keeping a log now on all test and times to keep it straight. Thanks

Pool is clear as ever. Added nothing yesterday. But today a little worried here are my numbers. FC 5 CC 0.5 PH 7.4 CYA maybe 20 CH 100 TA 70. It did rain some more on Sunday but not much but no sun. The FC scares me it has drop from a 10 to a 5 today I know my CYA is low I did add 3lb of stab Thursday the 26th but no more since then. Im going to raise my PH today. I might go buy Liquid stab today they say it acts faster. It is going to be in the 80s and 90s this week and afraid I will lose all my FC. I will also put in 32oz of bleach to get to a 6. Any thoughts?

pr1961 said:
Pool is clear as ever. Added nothing yesterday. But today a little worried here are my numbers. FC 5 CC 0.5 PH 7.4 CYA maybe 20 CH 100 TA 70. It did rain some more on Sunday but not much but no sun. The FC scares me it has drop from a 10 to a 5 today I know my CYA is low I did add 3lb of stab Thursday the 26th but no more since then.
A 50% FC loss with 20 CYA sounds about right.

Im going to raise my PH today.
Your pH is perfect. No need to adjust it.

I might go buy Liquid stab today they say it acts faster. It is going to be in the 80s and 90s this week and afraid I will lose all my FC. I will also put in 32oz of bleach to get to a 6. Any thoughts?
Yes, the liquid CYA is practically instant (about an hour or so to circulate in the pool), but it is pricy.

You are right Liquid stab should be called Liquid gold! But I put that in the skimmer at 3. I will take a test a 8 or so also added 32oz of bleach to bring my FC up to 7 or 7.5. Thanks for all your help and advice. I learn something every day here and without this forum I would be scared to death! I also check my pressure on my filter after I poured the stab in the skimmer and all is fine.

9am Test FC6 CC1 CYA45 PH7.6 TA90 CH90. I think everything looks good but the CH I check it twice and thats it. My TA came up from yesterday but in range. The pool calulator has me adding 458 oz of calcium chloride. Its a plaster pool. Do I add this or wait and see? If I do add this where is the best place to buy? I know I use this stuff in the winter. Also does it go in the skimer or just broad cast it. I do have a dolphin cleaner Im putting in today. The water is as clear as ever I can even see the screws that hold my drain cover on from some distance. THANKS to all 1 week ago today I was lost and all of you put me on the right path. This Forum is priceless If you are new here join TFP $30 is nothing for a pool that is perfect. Listen to all the info and READ READ READ Pool School these Guys will not stir you wrong!

8pm Test FC 3.5 drop from a 6 this morning we had rain in the morning then at noon sunny and hot. the CC 0.5 and my CYA drop to a 40 maybe 42. My pressure on my filter is 5psi over normal should I go ahead and back wash? I started out with with 3lb of stab in skimmer then switch to liquid stab yesterday. I went ahead and added more bleach tonight to bring it to a 6. Why the drop? is this normal in a day? Thanks

pr1961 said:
My pressure on my filter is 5psi over normal should I go ahead and back wash?
What is your clean pressure? We recommend backwashing the filter when the pressure goes up 25% from it's clean pressure.
pr1961 said:
Why the drop? is this normal in a day?
There really is no normal, but your drop combined with your CC of 1 this morning has me a wondering if their could still be organics in your pool. The rain could have been part of it. A typical FC loss with no bather load might be 1-2 ppm, but it can vary quite a bit from that depending on amount of debris, sunlight, etc. getting to the pool. If you continue to see that high of a FC drop/day or if your CC shows 1 or higher again, I would raise your FC up to shock level and do another OCLT.

How much liquid stabilizer did you add?

Pressure runs 10psi its 15 now. I added 2gal of liquid and 3lbs thru the skimmer I must of had a 0 reading on this all along it is a hard one to read it was in between the 50 and 40 mark so it could have been a 45 with no drop. On the backwash I did not want to lose any of my stab if any was still in the filter. Will do on the OCLT.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.