Mstrope

Jul 21, 2023
Pennsylvania
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all. I found TFP last month and I desperately need help! I’ve read dozens of threads here but am at a loss right now. Sorry this is lengthy.

I bought a new house last winter. It has an awesome pool that was winterized and covered. This May, we opened it to find a dark green pond. I found TFP and within two weeks, we had it blue and clear (thank you all!). Took a while with SLAM, vacuuming, etc but it worked.
Here’s where I’m feeling totally helpless - for the past 4 weeks, it constantly starts turning green every 3-4 days.

I feel like I’m overdoing things to try to prevent this, but it doesn’t matter. By that, I mean: I’m brushing the pool thoroughly 2x a day, running robot cleaner daily, skimming surface 3-4x daily, running filter 24/7, keeping FC at 5-7 (hasn’t dipped below 5 in 3 weeks), testing 2-3x daily (results below). After a shock treatment, it will be good for 2-3 days, then bam, back to turning green. I’m at a loss.

What else do I need to test for? What else do I need to do? Test results below are very similar over the past 3-4 weeks and the same thing keeps happening. I’m using 10% liquid chlorine - haven’t used any algaecides, clarifiers, etc. Filter pressure starts at 12 and hasn’t gone above 14.

Test results yesterday (blue and clear)

TA: 100
pH: 7.4
FC: 7.0
CC: 0-0.5, hard to tell difference
CYA: ~35
Hardness: 180

Test results this afternoon (light green starting, with obvious small patches of algae on floor and walls)

TA: 100
pH: 7.4
FC: 6.0
CC: 0-0.5, hard to tell difference
CYA: ~35
Hardness: 180

Can someone please help me before I turn this thing into a garden or a pickleball court?!?!

Thank you in advance!
Matt

Last edited:
Hey Mstrope and Welcome !!!

In the end, It doesn't really matter if you have leftover algae, or new algae, you have algae.

You need a new SLAM Process. We'll help and make sure you're good from here on out.

Hey Mstrope and Welcome !!!

In the end, It doesn't really matter if you have leftover algae, or new algae, you have algae.

You need a new SLAM Process. We'll help and make sure you're good from here on out.
Hi Newdude,

Thanks for the quick reply. I understand that is the thing to do when you have algae, but I’ve done that twice already. Followed it to a T, met all the criteria, then maintained FC at 5-7 (CYA has been 30-35 throughout). And it continues to happen.

Looking at the SLAM process again, particularly this part, “If you are maintaining proper FC levels there is no need to SLAM (or shock) weekly, or on any other regular schedule.” I am maintaining proper FC levels but it is not preventing the algae problem.

I’m brushing more than once a day, filter is running 24/7 and not gaining pressure. I guess my concern is, already did SLAM twice and I’m still back at square one, so I’m wondering if there’s possibly another issue that might need solved?

Thanks again for your quick help.

It sounds like you ended the SLAM too early and/or possibly have hidden algae somewhere (ladders, lights, skimmers, drains are all sneaky hiding spots). Get it back up to SLAM level and keep it there until you are positive it’s gone, then you can even keep it there a few days extra for good measure.
After you are done with SLAM, keep the FC higher than you have been for extra insurance.

+1. Algae is likely hiding in plain sight and started being introduced as soon as the FC levels returned to normal. Ladder rails, all up in the skimmer, light niches, auto fills, etc. Literally every inch is suspect until proven otherwise.

You have algae and there's no two ways about it.

There are also pools that require more than average FC from environmental circumstances. It's entirely possible (but too early to call) that you've done everything right and your pool simply needs a higher target.

Reactions: Mdragger88
+1. Algae is likely hiding in plain sight and started being introduced as soon as the FC levels returned to normal. Ladder rails, all up in the skimmer, light niches, auto fills, etc. Literally every inch is suspect until proven otherwise.

You have algae and there's no two ways about it.

There are also pools that require more than average FC from environmental circumstances. It's entirely possible (but too early to call) that you've done everything right and your pool simply needs a higher target.
I agree, just frustrated and a bit confused. The two times I’ve SLAM’d, I met the criteria to end the SLAM. After, I intentionally kept FC a little higher just in case. Doesn’t seem to matter. I didn’t put the ladder in yet, there’s no lights, no drain, just a skimmer.

If I SLAM again and meet the criteria to end again, is there something else I should do to ensure this doesn’t happen a fourth time? Is the SLAM process killing any possible hidden algae in the skimmer basket, in the filter, in the pump, etc? I removed cartridges and clean them well with a hose. Do they, the skimmer basket, anything else need cleaned with a chemical once SLAM is done again?

I don’t mind doing the work to complete the SLAM, I’m just not willing to do the same thing over and over to get the same results (definition of insanity!). I’m not taking short cuts. I work from home and can, and do, do it right.

I’m not taking short cuts
I gotta say. For all the times ive heard this, and it wasn't the case, it sure seems like you're following everything to a T.
If I SLAM again and meet the criteria to end again, is there something else I should do to ensure this doesn’t happen a fourth time?
I don't know yet. We're gonna ride with you this time and you'll give us a play by play. Maybe we can spot something you didn't, eventhough you gave it your all.
I removed cartridges and clean them well with a hose. Do they, the skimmer basket, anything else need cleaned with a chemical once SLAM is done again?
Nope. Just a good once over towards the end of the SLAM.

I'm gonna call in @Mdragger88 and @PoolStored for good measure. And HECK. What's a party without @mknauss and @Texas Splash.?

Reactions: Mstrope
I gotta say. For all the times ive heard this, and it wasn't the case, it sure seems like you're following everything to a T.

I don't know yet. We're gonna ride with you this time and you'll give us a play by play. Maybe we can spot something you didn't, eventhough you gave it your all.

Nope. Just a good once over towards the end of the SLAM.

I'm gonna call in @Mdragger88 and @PoolStored for good measure. And HECK. What's a party without @mknauss and @Texas Splash.?
Haha thanks so much for the constant replies and bringing in the big guns!

I’m fully committed to the effort and resource to get it right, hence me reaching out. I found this forum and it immediately helped with our “pond” at our new house. I believe in the process, there’s just something I’m missing I guess. I got the good test kit and my wife is pretty much sick of hearing about my constant testing of the pool ;) I’ve spent dozens of hours reading these forums and even more on the pool itself (how many times is too many times to brush the pool in one day?!?).

I appreciate all of your help, thank you.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Check your weir door foam. Check around the skimmer face plates and around the trim that holds the liner down around the side and bottom of the steps. I had algae in the trim and had to hit it with a tooth brush.

Reactions: Mstrope
What is your water source, well water or city water? Have you completed an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. I'm curious how much you're losing overnight?
We have city water. Yes, I did an OCLT during the two SLAMs and it was less than 1ppm. Due to my analytical brain and being neurotic about this, I’ve done a few more non-SLAM OCLTs and it’s never been more than 1ppm. I’m doing AM and PM testing and seeing about 1.5-2ppm loss during the day, which I’m replacing with liquid chlorine in the evening.

Reactions: Newdude
Check your weir door foam. Check around the skimmer face plates and around the trim that holds the liner down around the side and bottom of the steps. I had algae in the trim and had to hit it with a tooth brush.
Pesky jerks. Haha. I hit these areas with the pool brush but maybe I need to with a finer brush like that?

This sounds exactly like my situation, I just finished a SLAM only to be back at it days later (only difference is that I’ve not ever had visible algae, just high chlorine consumption). Definitely going to follow along to see if you figure out how to kick it once and for all.

The weir door foam comes out on alot of skimmer doors. If yours does take it out & look at both sides.
Any drains, light niches, abandoned lines, water features, overflow pipes, auto fill? If water can go there algae can grow there.
If you have a cover give it a scrub.
Also, when calling slam done you want to be sure you have truly passed all 3 end of slam criteria.
You are done when:

✅ CC is 0.5 or lower;
✅ You pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
AND
✅ The water is clear.
(Crystal Clear w/no algae dead or alive)
How Clear is TFP Clear?

Tooth brush, face mask,
Pesky jerks. Haha. I hit these areas with the pool brush but maybe I need to with a finer brush like that?
This right here was amazing advice, thank you! Dove down today with a toothbrush and the trim that holds the liner down by the steps, holy Crud. Loaded with green algae. Brushed it for 10 minutes or so until nothing more came out. Hoping this was the culprit, didn’t find any by the skimmer weir, around the returns, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support