Killman

Jun 2, 2021
Bonner Springs, KS
I'm sure this question has been asked multiple times, but I can't seem to find an answer in the searches. I have a newly installed vinyl pool and at the same time converted to a SWG system. I am noticing salt (calcium) deposits in the corners of the walls and floor. It brushes up easily, but my automatic cleaner collects a lot, and more in worried that it could be clogging the filter (pressure hadn't increased any though), or worse, damaging my new salt cell!
Is this a normal situation, or do I need to adjust the cell output? I purchased a salt tester and used it yesterday for the first time. My salt level was 3820ppm. My normal level should be 3200. With that, I reduced output at the cell from 40% to 20% (my cell changes in 20% intervals).
Thank you in advance for your guidance.

Attachments

• 20230627_055818.jpg
    20230627_055818.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 10
Can you pick up this salt? Is it in flakes like chips of paint or crystals?
If you can pick some up, lay it on the grass and put a drop of acid on it. If it fizzes, its most likely calcium.

Can you provide us with a full set of test results?
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt

Maddie :flower:

I have a newly installed vinyl pool and at the same time converted to a SWG system
How new ? Just started and everything isn't quite fully dissolved, or you added salt weeks ago and it should be well mixed by now ?
Is this a normal situation, or do I need to adjust the cell output?
You aren't understanding how it works yet. It uses the salt to create chlorine (as a byproduct). Adjusting the cell output makes more or less chlorine, and does not affect the salt content.

As Maddie said, it is very likely calcium, as salt would dissolve readily in your water.

Your Poolmath logs show varying TA, and odd test results. Do you have your own test kit? You need to manage your water chemistry to keep the CSI at or just below 0. It is showing as being very positive in your current logs.

How long ago did you add salt? It can take several days for it to completely dissolve. Also, you'll want to adjust your swg setting based on the amount of FC you measure in the pool, not on the salt concentration.

Wow, you all are quick to respond. I love that!
Maddi and mknauss, yes, what i have are flakes. I also know that my numbers are off and I've been working to get them figured out. I've been working to get Alkalinity down.
I was out of town for 5 days, so the attached screen shot was my tests (I have my own test kit) from last night when I got home.
The liner was installed and filled with very hard local water and salt about 3 weeks ago, so I am sure the salt is dissolved.
My goal is to make sure that I don't mess up my salt cell!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230627_082754.jpg
    Screenshot_20230627_082754.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 9
You need chlorine and CYA first. Then work the TA down using lowering pH and aeration. Use muriatic acid.

When you get a chance, run a Calcium Hardness test on whatever water you filled the pool with. City or well? I'm curious as to how your CH got that high so quickly and wonder if your fill water is so very hard? We know how to deal with that, but no rush.

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.