Jan 8, 2016
Pearland, Texas
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I recently installed an IC60 SWCG. I adjusted the chemistry as prescribed by TFP.
I increased the CYA to 80 ppm and I am surprised as to how little chlorine is evaporating.
Its kind of made it difficult to set up the cell.
I am in Texas (near Houston) with temperatures between mid 70s to mid 80s F and I am seeing .5 to 1 ppm of chlorine loss per day.
I am curious as to what others in a similar climate are experiencing.
I know that chlorine loss is affected by other factors but I am curious about what others are seeing just based on temps.
Thanks,
Puertex

I’m in Houston and I just upped mine to 3ppm a day from 2ppm

I am at 70 cya with a partial sun/partial shade pool

CYA helps for sure, I am in Atlanta and raising my CYA from 60 to around 80 made a big difference In how my SWG worked. I was able to turn the output down a good 25% or more and still keep the same FC

CYA helps for sure, I am in Atlanta and raising my CYA from 60 to around 80 made a big difference In how my SWG worked. I was able to turn the output down a good 25% or more and still keep the same FC
I am finding out that I have to be careful when I try to make adjustments or I end up overshooting the FC concentration. I am trying to keep the FC between 7 and 9 ppm at a CYA of 80 ppm. I have not been able to reach the target FC concentartion and keep it there. When it gets down to about 6 to 7 ppm of FC, I will make a small % increase on the IC60 to compensate and check the results the next day. I think the challenge is that the ambient temperatures are increasing and we are getting some rainy days in between...
Thanks,
P

I am finding out that I have to be careful when I try to make adjustments or I end up overshooting the FC concentration. I am trying to keep the FC between 7 and 9 ppm at a CYA of 80 ppm. I have not been able to reach the target FC concentartion and keep it there. When it gets down to about 6 to 7 ppm of FC, I will make a small % increase on the IC60 to compensate and check the results the next day. I think the challenge is that the ambient temperatures are increasing and we are getting some rainy days in between...
Thanks,
P
I’m in DFW and use the same targets, but I don’t worry too much about overshooting. As ambient temps rise, so will chlorine demand, so if FC is up around 10, I know it will eventually drift down.

I’m in Houston and I just upped mine to 3ppm a day from 2ppm

I am at 70 cya with a partial sun/partial shade pool
Interesting, I am not experiencing that rate of loss. But my CYA is a bit higher and @markayash said that even increasing the CYA from 60 to 80 made a big difference for him... I am trying to relearn how to adjust the chemistry with the new cell. Before the cell, I was injecting chlorine and I kept a low CYA of about 30 to 40 ppm. But I had to bail out of liquid chlorine when the cost per gallon shot up to $9.
Thanks,
P

I upped mine as family is beginning to use the pool, it’s been more sunny, hot and raining (all at same time!) and my FC which stayed at 10 in March and April is drifting down to 7s despite me adding LC a few times here and there. I will see if 3ppm is too much and I may reduce it again. I’m new to pool too (brand new built) and am targeting to stay around 8-10 for my CYa. As @Newdude said once which stuck with me - don’t play around with minimums…

Reactions: Newdude
In Austin using about 2-2.5 ppm a day right now with temps in the upper 80s and lower 90s. Just raised my CYA to 70 (it dropped with the last round of major rain, or I eyeballed the eyeball wrong :D). My cell was at 20% but with the increased CYA I hope lowering it to 13% will allow me to maintain that 2-2.5ppm production with running the pump 24/7. I will need to monitor the next few days because of the rain and overcast but I am hoping even in height of summer I am able to keep it below 20-22%. I'm new at this too.

I too am not worried much about overshooting as I think it will work out in the end. I have been struggling a bit with PH rise since install of the SWG though (but expected because it was in all the reading).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In Austin using about 2-2.5 ppm a day right now with temps in the upper 80s and lower 90s. Just raised my CYA to 70 (it dropped with the last round of major rain, or I eyeballed the eyeball wrong :D). My cell was at 20% but with the increased CYA I hope lowering it to 13% will allow me to maintain that 2-2.5ppm production with running the pump 24/7. I will need to monitor the next few days because of the rain and overcast but I am hoping even in height of summer I am able to keep it below 20-22%. I'm new at this too.

I too am not worried much about overshooting as I think it will work out in the end. I have been struggling a bit with PH rise since install of the SWG though (but expected because it was in all the reading).
I am in Pearland (near Galveston), with a CYA of 80ppm I lost only 1ppm of chlorine in 24 hrs yesterday. I too have spent quite a bit of time adjusting to my new life as a SWG owner :). I read another forum member say that there could be even lower CL usage if you up the CYA to 80. Maybe that is why I am seeing lower loss. The weather around here has been a mix bag with some sunny days mixed with rainy days. There is a lot of of good info in this forum about the suggested SWG system chemistry. There are some old threads that explain the chemistry very well and the target numbers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.