New sand filter... not what I expected.

Jun 25, 2014
wallkill,ny
Hi,
I have had a DE filter for 25 years and had no problem. Mine died and they put in a sand filter . I know and hope I'm doing something wrong.
I have an appreciable amount of what I believe is Dead alge or pollen in my unground pool. I deal with this every year , and this year I had less than usual. Tne De filter would have managed this with 3 changes of earth and 48 hours of running.
The sand filter is throwing dirty water back in and I still have a cloudy pool.I was expecting to vacuum for the last time today , and I have to start over tomorrow.
I k ow the sand is not handling tne small particles. I can't vacuum to waste because I can't keep dumping that much water.
I have been been backwashing and rinsing , and all looks clear in tne rinse glass.
I do notice that the rinse glass is filling only a quarter of the way full. My biggest concern , though , is that the is a smal , it viable amount of sand and glass on my steps. I'm concerned the glass will cut my vinyl liner.
Any help would be appreciated. I'm very frustrated.

When they put in the sand filter, did they do a couple nice long backwashes?

Can you post a picture of your pool?
How are you testing your water?
What are your current test results?

Reactions: Mdragger88
When they put in the sand filter, did they do a couple nice long backwashes?

Can you post a picture of your pool?
How are you testing your water?
What are your current test results?
I was not home at the time of install. My testing results are done at tne pool
Store and I added what they suggested:
1. 12 lbs of balance pak 100 for low alkalinity.
2. 2.5 cups of balance pak 2 to bring up pH.
3. 12 lbs of balance pak 3 to increase hardness, but I have a vinyl line anyway.
4. 6 bags of shock.

I have not tested the water yet. I only have a limited Taylor a test kit for alkalinity , pH and chorine.
I can attach a picture of the pool tomorrow in the light of day. Thank you!

Hi,
I have had a DE filter for 25 years and had no problem. Mine died and they put in a sand filter . I know and hope I'm doing something wrong.
I have an appreciable amount of what I believe is Dead alge or pollen in my unground pool. I deal with this every year , and this year I had less than usual. Tne De filter would have managed this with 3 changes of earth and 48 hours of running.
The sand filter is throwing dirty water back in and I still have a cloudy pool.I was expecting to vacuum for the last time today , and I have to start over tomorrow.
I k ow the sand is not handling tne small particles. I can't vacuum to waste because I can't keep dumping that much water.
I have been been backwashing and rinsing , and all looks clear in tne rinse glass.
I do notice that the rinse glass is filling only a quarter of the way full. My biggest concern , though , is that the is a smal , it viable amount of sand and glass on my steps. I'm concerned the glass will cut my vinyl liner.
Any help would be appreciated. I'm very frustrated.
Unfortunately, sand filters and algae are not a good mix. Believe it or not, the remedy is to add a couple of handfuls of DE through the skimmer to put a thin layer on the sand bed. It will be removed each time your backwash. Do it until the algae is gone.
Its possible that the filter wasn't backwashed first or completely before put into a filter cycle and a small amount of sand (vitreous sand/glass?) got into the pool. Needs to be vacuumed. Just vacuum to the filter. Those particles will then be at the top of the sand and be gone after a backwash.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.