new pool

Did your kit come yet? Otherwise the cya number you are showing is meaningless since strips are usually wrong about that...and we need to know that number to dose FC appropriately. If we assume 30 ppm, then you FC shocking level will be 13 ppm.

Just another example of strips being bad (and why we don't recommend them) you show TC at 10 ppm but FC at 20 ppm...which is not possible. TC=FC+CC

Ignore most everything while shocking but i find your 10FC and 20TC confusing.

Does this mean you have 10 ppm CC or that we have bad testing? I vote for bad testing. If you are using strips, you will get inaccurate results. THis is why most of us the TF100.

OK, your FC looks like you are shocking effectively. If you can see the dot in the tube this indicates you have less than 20 PPM CYA. You may have some but not too much.

I would test your FC again tonight, after the sun is off, raise the FC to your shock level, test again after 30 minutes to get your final FC for the day and test again in the AM to see if you are actively killing organics or algae or just dealing with debris in your water. This will tell you if you have actively growing algae.

Can you take a photo of your water so we can see what you see?

Well good news is your cya is very low which makes sense since it is fresh fill. Have you added any trichlor, dichlor, or stabilzer yet? If not then I would put enough in an old sock to get to 30 ppm cya and put that in front of the return. Then the next thing to do is a OCLT: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/overnight_fc_test

For 0 cya, your FC level is too high right now, so let it drift down (the sun will use it up). For 0 cya you should maintain a 10 ppm FC shocking level and once you get the cya in there, then 13 ppm FC level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Don't give up & drain. Any type of water you use to fill with you are going to have to balance there is no way to avoid balancing the water in a pool.

Just take a deep breath, read pool school again and follow the procedure, you will have sparkle before you know it.

Ask questions as you need, folks are glad to help, but you have to follow the method completely to get it to work.

It will work ~ there are many, many people of this forum who are proof of that.

Oh, PLEAE don't give up!!! Way back on july 13th 2009, I was in your place exactly. I just went back to re-read my torturous journey from swamp to sparkle so that I could give you some encouragement. My 1st swamp post was on July 13th and my sparkle post (finally!) was on august 6th. That is a womping 25 days of waking up at the butt crack of dawn to test and going to bed at midnight after adding the last dose of bleach. Seriously, it took almost a MONTH to pass the OCLT. I even kept my FC to 16+ because I feared I had mustard algae. Besides all this, I was brushing twice a day (my rock hard abs and ripped biceps thank me for this...JK!) The fine people at TFP held my hand and got me to where I am today. PLEASE PLEASE stick with it. We need your story and the future people of this site need you too. So, roll of your sleeves and kick this pool's Rear(tronaut).

Update, decided on Thur. not to drain pool. So I put 2 gallons of muratic acid in. Got up Fri. still green and couldn't see 12" so Fri. evening put 2 more gallons in and cut pump off. Got up Sat. and can you believe it I could see the bottom still green but could see bottom and turned pump back on till Mon. evening. Then put one more gallon in and turned pump off. Tue. morning looked like the Bahamas, numbers great kids swam all night. Its amazing what you can figure out just reading a little. Thanks

Had you named yourself sparkle horn, opposed to green horn, maybe it could have been a different story :wink:

Just teasin you a little bit. I am glad you didn't give up and moved forward with it and are finding success. I haven't had to mess with MA so I have nothing to offer there. But I can say without a doubt if you follow the methods here you will be sparkle horn ~ sometimes it takes more time than any of us would like, but it is so worth it in the long run.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.