New pool startup questions

Still working on getting all the dirt out of the pool. There was a bit more mud in there then I realized. I vacuum for a few minutes, my pressure skyrockets, then I backwash. It's been taking awhile. I tested my water for the first time and provided I did everything correctly, my results are as follows:
PH - 8.2
TA - 210
FC - 0
CYA - 0
Should I wait to until I get the rest of the mud out considering all the back washing I'm doing before I add anything to the water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would lower your PH now with acid. You could be higher than 8.2. I would also get 2-3 ppm of FC via bleach in there to hold off algae to you get things cleaned up. What is the water temp ? You'll lose all the FC with zero CYA during the day, so add bleach accordingly. Add the stabilizer after your done cleaning and backwashing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool math will tell you. Plug in your pool volume, make sure it's accurate as can be. In the CYA section put zero for now and put in your target number and hit calculate. Play with it to get used to using it. It's not hard.

I picked up 2 gallons of muriatic acid so I can bring the PH down. I've also picked up 6 gallons of bleach. I should hopefully have all the mud out of the pool in the next day or two. Not sure how much stabilizer I'll need to get me where I need to be. This pool is going to get a lot of sunlight, probably 8-10 hours of sunlight per day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, so according to pool math, it says I'm going to need about 7lbs of stabilizer by weight (if I did that right). I noticed everything also says that increasing CYA will also decrease PH. Since my PH is so high, and I should have the pool cleaned out in the next day or two, should I hold off on adding the muriatic acid until a week or so after adding the stabilizer and then recheck everything?

No. The stabilizer will only lower PH a little bit. Use the acid to get your PH down. It's too high. The test only reads to 8.2 it could be higher.
At the bottom of pool math there is a place called Effects of Adding Chem's. That will tell you how much the CYA will lower your PH.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.