New pool startup questions

e2ypu5av.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Approximately how much water should I be losing each day to evaporation?

It depends a lot on heat, wind, and humidity. When we get those hot Santa Ana winds in SoCal, I can lose 1/2" a day.

If you suspect a leak somewhere, do a bucket test. Use the search box and you'll find many, many threads describing it.

Ok,we do get a lot of wind here, but it hasn't been too hot yet. Today was by far the warmest day so far this year at about 86. Anyway, I had a small leak when they first filled the pool. The pool builder let the water leak out until it stopped losing water and isolated the leak to the molding around the steps. He resealed it and tightened the screws and the pool sat all winter without losing water. Now that I've slammed the pool and got my water crystal clear, I'm noticing a loss of about 1/4 inch or so per day. I didn't notice it last week much because I was backwashing so much that I just attributed the water loss to the frequent backwashing. I topped off the pool last night and made a notation as to where i filled it to (the top of the skimmer intake at about 8pm last night). When I got home from work today at around 3:30, the water line was about 1/4 to 1/2 inch below the level I left it at last night. I called my builder again as it hasn't really been used at all aside from my kids being in it for about an hour yesterday, and he told me to just let the water drain out until it stops so he can find out exactly what level the leak is at. I really don't want to do that considering all the work I just did getting the pool clear and ready to use. Is there an easier way to locating a leak if I've got one?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.