New Pool -- Southlake, TX (near Dallas)

gunite spraying moves to deep end and you can see steps and sun bench taking shape

Attachments

• gunite spraying moves to deep end and you can see steps and sun bench taking shape.jpg
    gunite spraying moves to deep end and you can see steps and sun bench taking shape.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 277
Help: Quick Question: Gunite without rebar for a step??

I have a question for the experts here in this forum. Is it OK for your PB to form and shape a small step in the pool using gunite but with NO rebar? In other words, when I looked at the steelwork I saw a sun bench with one step shaped out of steel. Now that gunite has gone in I see two steps. I checked the plans and the plans show two steps. So unless somebody did some really fast last minute steel bending and tying this morning while the gunite was starting to spray, I can only presume that the second step (bottom) is formed out of gunite but with no steel.

Is this common and OK?

Re: Help: Quick Question: Gunite without rebar for a step?

FirstPoolLastPool said:
I have a question for the experts here in this forum. Is it OK for your PB to form and shape a small step in the pool using gunite but with NO rebar? In other words, when I looked at the steelwork I saw a sun bench with one step shaped out of steel. Now that gunite has gone in I see two steps. I checked the plans and the plans show two steps. So unless somebody did some really fast last minute steel bending and tying this morning while the gunite was starting to spray, I can only presume that the second step (bottom) is formed out of gunite but with no steel.

Is this common and OK?

they did that on mine...

Gunite complete, it took the crew of five guys about 6 hours. I lost count of how many different trucks pulled up, with more material....five maybe?

Attachments

• View from second floor game room after gunite (day 8).jpg
    View from second floor game room after gunite (day 8).jpg
    191 KB · Views: 242

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Day 9 -- morning after gunite was done and before watering again.

Attachments

• Morning after gunite day before watering again.jpg
    Morning after gunite day before watering again.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 220
  • Morning after gunite day before watering again v2 showns sun bench and steps.jpg
    Morning after gunite day before watering again v2 showns sun bench and steps.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 221
Some interior shots before I watered again......PB came by last night and said we needed to water regularly since we hit 100 degrees yesterday on gunite day and we expect 102 degrees today!!

Got the OK to step inside once or twice so took these pics. One shows the sun bench and steps off the shallow end.

The other one shows on the right side the swim out ledge with step in the deep end

Attachments

• View from deep end of swim out ledge and step taken on morning after gunite day before waterin...jpg
    View from deep end of swim out ledge and step taken on morning after gunite day before waterin...jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 219
  • Inside view on daty after gunite before watering again.jpg
    Inside view on daty after gunite before watering again.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 219
Man that will be one sweet pool. At the rate they are moving, I find the est completion date a bit puzzling. In talking with two builders now, it seems like all them want to give themselves a 90 window. But, I guess you have a lot more to go with walls, decking and such. You have quite a bit more than we are wanting overall in terms of all that. Love it though, and I bet you are getting anxious now.

Watered the gunite 3x a day for the last 3 days. Temps have come down from 100+ to high 80's for next couple days and humidity is ridiculously low for this area. Very comfortable, not sure if it means we'll have to keep watering.

Supposedly stone work starts tomorrow! Short week coming up with the holiday on Thursday, I hope we see some more good progress this week.

Thank You! to all the kind posters who say they like the pool. Here are some photos after the conclusion of day 12. Today was a Monday and the stone and tile people showed up and got a lot done. These pictures were taken in low light conditions near dusk. I'll try to get some better ones tomorrow

Attachments

• Stone work at end of day 12 of construction taken in low light conditions.jpg
    Stone work at end of day 12 of construction taken in low light conditions.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 143
  • tile work starting to become visible taken in low light.jpg
    tile work starting to become visible taken in low light.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 143
  • Stone work began today photo taken at dusk.jpg
    Stone work began today photo taken at dusk.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 143
One more image of the stone wall. It may not be obvious from the pictures I have posted so far but our back yard has a bit of a slope so the pool has a retaining wall 18" high all around the low side. Most of what got done today was setting that stone which is visible here

Attachments

• stone close-up edited and cropped.jpg
    stone close-up edited and cropped.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 146
jamgolf said:
Looking good. Is that Oklahoma flagstone on the retaining wall?

Yes, good eye! Pool coping is going to be Oklahaoma Flagstone "brown tones". The other stone used extensively to form the wall is a carved sandstone...really easy to shape in a natural style but flagstone will be on the top of the wall.

More work going on today and they are cutting and setting the flagstone tops of the wall so I'll post more pictures tonight.

FYI, this link http://stoneyardbuilding.com/products.html was helpful to me in visualizing the various types of stone....DISCLAIMER: the company that link takes you to is not involved in the build of my pool and I have no knowledge of their operations good or bad.

Stone work continues today and here is a photo in better light conditions for the retaining wall and Oklahoma flagstone top. Oklahoma flagstone is very popular here in North Texas and very reasonable in cost since quarries are close.

Attachments

• sandstone retaining wall and getting ready to add Oklahoma flagstone top today.jpg
    sandstone retaining wall and getting ready to add Oklahoma flagstone top today.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 130
With all the dust from stone cutting and construction it is quite frustrating to try to and see what the colors are looking like as the various elements come together but here is what we can see so far. I doubt the tile will show that much pink in "real life" when blue granite pebblesheen is in place and with water in the pool.

Attachments

• sandstone wall with Oklahoma flagstone for cap and showing tile -- still dusty hard to tell co...jpg
    sandstone wall with Oklahoma flagstone for cap and showing tile -- still dusty hard to tell co...jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 126

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.