New pool owner with a constantly dirty pool

Jmag34

Jun 7, 2023
US
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Hi all- we moved into a house recently that had a pool so I have just been a pool owner for 2 months. I did not grow up with a pool so I have taught myself what I can from this site so thank you!

Our pool is surrounded by gardens, mulch, grass as well multiple trees, including a large tree which hangs over the pool so there are leaves in the pool often. I find myself out there brushing daily, if not twice a day as it gets dirty pretty quickly after each brushing (will get a robot next year to help with the cleaning). I hired a pool company since I was brand new and so far they have said it is just organic matter settling and no algae. I also do my own testing now but when I brought my water to Leslies earlier this summer, they had the phosphates over 4000.

I don't mind putting the work in and understand maintenance is part of the gig but I wanted to write to you guys and make sure the constant brushing is typical for a pool in an environment described above and not something else that need to be addressed. The water itself has always been clear. Here are some photos and my latest taylor test results

thanks for all the information so far!

PH 7.4
FC9
CYA 60
TA 80

Attachments

• pool3.jpeg
    pool3.jpeg
    394.6 KB · Views: 14
  • pool2.jpeg
    pool2.jpeg
    434 KB · Views: 14
  • pool.jpeg
    pool.jpeg
    423.3 KB · Views: 15
Welcome. Let us know what your first testing shows and how the OCLT test goes.
Agree with the above get any cleaner you like and set it up or you’ll have to do what you’re doing long term.

I am blessed with a few dozen trees on my property and near my pool. My best advice for dealing with leaves.
1) Replace your pump with a variable speed pump.
2) Cut off main drain to send all flow to skimmers
3) Run VSP 24/7 at low speed, all the time, to skim constantly.
4) Invest in a SWCG (salt water chlorine generator)

With a robot and constant skimming, I have no issues even with copious leaves and debris. My weekly "maintenance" is empty skimmers, empty robot basket, test, and maybe add some muriatic acid. It's less than ~10 minutes of work.

Reactions: Jmag34
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.