New pool owner testing help

New pool owner here...

My VS pump is set to run at about 1750 RPMs. When it's on though, my pool cleaner which is attached to the side of the pool doesn't seem to be moving all that much. Seems very slow and ineffective. I'm almost positive it doesn't reach the shallow end of my pool either, just stays in the deep end.

Should I get one of those battery powered ones I've seen online? Does anyone have one? Are they worth it or is there something I can do with my current one?

Thanks for the help!
From what you explained, you have a suction side cleaner. You may need to run it at a higher rpm for it to move, and it should be a dedicated line - i.e. no suction from the skimmer, et. Maybe show a photo of the equipment pad and type of cleaner.

From what you explained, you have a suction side cleaner. You may need to run it at a higher rpm for it to move, and it should be a dedicated line - i.e. no suction from the skimmer, et. Maybe show a photo of the equipment pad and type of cleaner.
Thanks for the reply. See attached for the type of pump I have. I think it's a Pentair Rebel?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-06-03 at 3.29.26 PM (3).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-06-03 at 3.29.26 PM (3).jpeg
    176.8 KB · Views: 3
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-06-03 at 3.29.27 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-06-03 at 3.29.27 PM.jpeg
    311.1 KB · Views: 3
That cleaners manual should have directions for setting the wheel RPM.
If the wheels turn too slow, itwon't climb to the shallow end.
Chances are your pump RPMs are to low to support the necessary requirements of the dleaner.

See your other thread (keep everything in one place) for more on your cleaner issue.

Thanks for the reply. See attached for the type of pump I have. I think it's a Pentair Rebel?
It is a suction side cleaner which works off your pumps suction power. Show us a picture of the equipment pad on the suction side that shows which pipes are leading to the main filter pump.

Also, does your cleaner connect to a port in the side of the pool or does it connect to your skimmer?

It is a suction side cleaner which works off your pumps suction power. Show us a picture of the equipment pad on the suction side that shows which pipes are leading to the main filter pump.

Also, does your cleaner connect to a port in the side of the pool or does it connect to your skimmer?
See files attached. I think this is what you're referring to?

My cleaner connects to a port on the side of the pool.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-06-03 at 3.29.26 PM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-06-03 at 3.29.26 PM (1).jpeg
    365 KB · Views: 5
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-06-03 at 3.29.26 PM (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-06-03 at 3.29.26 PM (2).jpeg
    372.6 KB · Views: 5
See files attached. I think this is what you're referring to?

My cleaner connects to a port on the side of the pool.
So yes it has a dedicated line from the pool. The valve shows to be partially open to the skimmer. If you close it completely on the skimmer pipe and have 100% suction from dedicated line? Then increase your pump speed to 2500rpm - does the cleaner roam more?

What cleaner are you using?
If a suction side cleaner, you need a much higher rpm than 1750 to get enough water flowing thru the cleaner to provide enough suction to pick debris up and get it to climb into the shallower end of the pool. Some cleaners also recommend a specific min/max wheel speed/revolution for optimal cleaning.

With your EasyTouch system, you can set it to run at a higher rpm for a few hours to allow the cleaner to clean sufficiently, then go to a lower speed for skimming and SWG production.

If you have algae - dead or alive - you need to perform an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
If you fail the OCLT (be sure SWG is off for test), a SLAM Process is needed.
I think it's a Pentair Rebel.

I did perform the OCLT and I believe I passed. Tested last night with SWG off and got a 5.5 FC. This morning I tested and it was the same. Based on this, I should be in the clear right?

This is why I think the stuff I brush off the walls is dead algae unless I'm thinking about it wrong?

After brushing, the stuff falls to the bottom of the pool and stays there. Really wanna get it out so my pool starts to look even clearer. That's why I want to figure out my cleaner so I can get it out.

Add you test kit(s) to your signature - as well as model numbers for ALL your equipment.

You will need to run your cleaner at a higher RPM to get it to go to the shallow end and to pick up more debris.
Try around 3000 RPM or so. Also, all the suction should be directed to the cleaner and not split between the cleaner and skimmer for at least 2-4 hours per day.

Brush the walls and floor at least daily until this clears up.

As well as setting the automation to increase the RPMs for the cleaner, you can add an actuator on the valves that adjusts suction on the cleaner line. Then program the cleaner run times into the EasyTouch. This way, it will automatically up the RPM and set the valves to allow more suction from the cleaner for a set time per day.

Post a few pics of your equipment pad from a few different angles so we can see all the equipment, valves and plumbing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.