New pool owner - SWG

Sorry couldn't post photo...out of country limited data.

So today the wife has taken a sample every 4 hours. I'm trying to keep an elevated FC of 15 just in case she gets busy. Each time she tested 12 and I had her add bleach according to pool math. Cc has remained at 0.

The pool contractor is insisting on adding salt...claims that will clear the water. I have the SWG off during SLAM. Will it hurt to appease them and let them add the salt to keep them from nagging the wife? Does running the SWM increase or effect CYA? I know it would skew the FC numbers. If I was home it wouldn't be an issue.

So today the wife has taken a sample every 4 hours. I'm trying to keep an elevated FC of 15 just in case she gets busy. Each time she tested 12 and I had her add bleach according to pool math. Cc has remained at 0.

The pool contractor is insisting on adding salt...claims that will clear the water. I have the SWG off during SLAM. Will it hurt to appease them and let them add the salt to keep them from nagging the wife? Does running the SWG increase or effect CYA? I know it would skew the FC numbers. If I was home it wouldn't be an issue.

The pool contractor is insisting on adding salt...claims that will clear the water. I have the SWG off during SLAM. Will it hurt to appease them and let them add the salt to keep them from nagging the wife? Does running the SWG increase or effect CYA? I know it would skew the FC numbers. If I was home it wouldn't be an issue.

Addimg salt won't hurt it during the SLAM, but it really won't do anything but make the pool guy happy. If you are not running your SWG, it really won't do anything. I have a SWG pool, and just didn't run the generator while SLAMing. Actually running a SWG during a SLAM could damage the cell. But hey, let them add it, then you won't need to when your SLAM is done. Once you pass the 3 tests for SLAM, you can let your FC drift down to the recommended level per your CYA and run the SWG adjusting your run time to keep FC at the correct level. Worked out great for me. You have to wear sunglasses to look at my pool it's so sparkly!

Thanks, aboykin and Sandra....I'll probably let them dump the salt in tomorrow when I'm home.

As an update, the wife says she can finally see the drains clearly in the deep end. So, either time, SLAM and/or the DE is helping clear the cloudiness...Did another manual vacuum to waste today, and the wife will start scrubbing today. Running the Dolphin, and normally it kicks up a cloud of dirt and makes the pool murky, but now it's not so that's a good sign. Still SLAMing and waiting patiently for the color to turn blue :)

FC levels this morning were the same as last night, so no additional bleach at the 8am sample (doing 8am, 12pm, 4pm and 8pm checks).

Will stay the course today, and tomorrow I'll probably do a backwash, and add DE again maybe a little more aggressively when I'm home and can monitor.

Weird....all my posts and pics this morning have disappeared :(

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, those drains were a sight for sore eyes, Kim...Todays pictures

Day4_zps351ygpr4.jpg
[/URL]

Day%204%20Deep_zps368mpdhb.jpg
[/URL]

- - - Updated - - -

So, what I posted this morning that disappeared is that still a little greenish tint....the trees in the photos make it look worse than it is though.

Question: It's only been 4 days since I started SLAM and I added enough CYA to get from 0 to 30 based on pool math, but I had my gallons at 28,000 instead of 23,000 which I learned later from the pool contractor is my actual gallons.. I know it takes up to a week for CYA to fully dissolve but I went ahead and checked today and it's at 22. I checked 4 times and all four right around 21 to 23 giving user error. I've been keeping my FC elevated at 15 instead of 12 simply because I've been out of town and it was easier and safer if my wife missed a time and anticipating slightly higher CYA due to my error in gallons. At this point, should I add a little more CYA, drop the FC to 12, or assume I have CYA of at least 30 and just stay the course as it seems to be doing fairly well.

- - - Updated - - -

Question: It's only been 4 days since I started SLAM and I added enough CYA to get from 0 to 30 based on pool math, but I had my gallons at 28,000 instead of 23,000 which I learned later from the pool contractor is my actual gallons.. I know it takes up to a week for CYA to fully dissolve but I went ahead and checked today and it's at 22. I checked 4 times and all four right around 21 to 23 giving user error. I've been keeping my FC elevated at 15 instead of 12 simply because I've been out of town and it was easier and safer if my wife missed a time and anticipating slightly higher CYA due to my error in gallons. At this point, should I add a little more CYA, drop the FC to 12, or assume I have CYA of at least 30 and just stay the course as it seems to be doing fairly well.

I thought I had answered you and mine is gone too!

Oh well moving on.

-CYA do NOT add any more yet. Wait until it has been a full week and test again. It is MUCH easier to raise than lower.

-If your pool is clearing stay the course!

It looks MUCH better!

Here is a link to adding DE to your sand to give your pool a polish. You will need to do it when you can be there to babysit it as the pressure can shoot up. Add it 1/4 cup at a time and wait about 5 mins to see if the pressure goes up. You are looking for your pressure gauge to go up 1 psi. Some people can only use 1/4 cup and some need 2 whole cups so..........

Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

Kim

Thanks Kim...I've already been adding DE....1/4 cup at a time up to 1 cup. No real change in pressure and one backwash in between with another cup of DE. But I think it has helped remove alot of the fine clay along with multiple vacuums.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you kim...and thanks so much to all that have helped me through this process...dave, sandra, cowboy, aboykin et al.

So the water is very clear this morning...and I lost 1 ppm last night from 10pm until 8am.
But this being my first pool I'm a little lost on how to quantify clarity...I don't want to stop SLAM prematurely. And I'm still getting a dusting of the red clay on the stairs and in the crease on the slope from shallow to deep that I'm vacuuming each day. So with clay is there a danger of organics still hiding and growing within? Also with the party on Saturday afternoon at what point should I start to let the FC drop to normal levels for a safe swim if in fact I continue SLAM? Can I slam all the way up until Saturday morning just to be safe?

Robert, clarity=being able to see the heads/tails of a coin on the bottom of the pool.

-Party on Saturday-Keep it up to SLAM level all day today and tomorrow. Bring it just under SLAM level Friday night. Have the party Saturday and bring it back up to SLAM level when everyone is out of the pool.

It is safe to swim in with a FC of just under SLAM level for your CYA.

HAVE FUN!

Kim

I could definitely be able see the heads/tails on a coin...I can see the screw heads on the bottom drain covers :) I'm trying to determine if the bluish - greenish tint will be normal for my pool. My liner isn't blue (except for the trim). It's a brown stone.

This is the liner I have:
Bonneville_TanMosaic.jpg

And pictures of the bottom

drain_zpsxfovxinx.jpg

I can read Dolphin on the cleaner

Dolphin_zpsimq4yzqp.jpg

It looks fuzzy, but that's just the water moving from the returns :)

Dude that is a clear pool! Love the liner!

Hummmmmmmmm can your wallet take SLAMing a little more just to see if there is a color change? If so I would do as I said in my last post. Better safe than sorry.

Kim

Haha...you're funny...the cost of bleach is peanuts and of no concern. I would have paid 100 fold to insure the pool was ready for the 4th so TFP was cheap!!

I think I'll continue slamming at 15 today and do an OCLT tonight...if it holds again like last night I'll drop my slam down to 12 tomorrow. And then Saturday let it drop to 8ish anticipating kids and bad habits...although I've told all the neighborhood kids we have a chemical that turns blue on pee pee...lol

After the party I'll check my Cya since it will have been a week and start bringing it up to 70 in anticipation of turning on the swg. I'll keep fc at 8 until I get my SWG and pump schedule ironed out and then try to maintain 6.

Sound reasonable?

Oh and how long does FC need to be below 10 before getting PH back in line?

Your pool looks great! I'd slam one more day, get some of that haziness out. Great job and just in time for the pool party!

- - - Updated - - -

No set time for CL to be under 10. Once under 10, ph will read fine. Yay!

We're having some rain tonight with thunderstorms. Is it possible to still do an accurate OCLT with rain? Does the additional water dilute the FC concentration significantly enough to fail the 1ppm test?

If the rains adds enough water to use the overflow than it might mess with the results. I don't think I would worry about it. Just put your SLAM FC in and call it good.

Follow your plan leaving out the OCLT part. You should be good!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.