New pool owner - overwhelmed and not sure where to start

nrbauer

May 22, 2023
Fort Thomas, KY
We just bought a house that has a 15,000-gallon above-ground pool. The previous owners already had an appointment with a pool company to open it for the season, so we kept that appointment, and the pool was opened last week. However, it feels like they didn't really do anything or educate me at all on what the next steps are.

They added pool shock and stabilizer (4 days ago) and then I had to get the water level up before starting the filter/pump. I've finally got it to the right water levels but when I tested the water with a test strip (I know, I know, I've already gathered I need to ditch these and get a real test kit) everything is reading at the lowest levels.

Where do I begin?
What chemicals do I start adding first? How long do I wait until adding something else? 😅

Where to begin? Buy a proper test kit. Then likely you'll want to SLAM.
Until your test kit arrives, add 5ppm of liquid chlorine daily.

Once you have your test kit - post up your results and we can help from there. It'll be super easy.

However, it feels like they didn't really do anything or educate me at all on what the next steps are.... I had to get the water level up before starting the filter/pump.
Yes, what did they do? I would never contact this pool company again if their idea of "opening" a pool means you are the one starting the pump and making sure it works! Do you have the pump running?
Where do I begin?
See posts about testing water and get that pump started (if it's not already).

Where to begin? Buy a proper test kit. Then likely you'll want to SLAM.
Until your test kit arrives, add 5ppm of liquid chlorine daily.

Once you have your test kit - post up your results and we can help from there. It'll be super easy.

Thanks for the response. Is slamming necessary if the pool water is crystal clear? Or does it depend on the results of the first test?

OCLT will prove it, as linked above... but if you haven't added FC in 4 days, I would think it's a safe bet and good idea to SLAM once you can self-test. If water is clear, it'll go super quick and can help ensure good results for the summer!

Initial test levels:
Chlorine: .5-1
pH: 6.8
Bromine: 1
Alkalinity: 50
Hardness: 70
CYA: 100

With CYA being so high, next step would be to drain some of the water and add in fresh water?
Put 5ppm per day into the pool. Start today...now.

Do the following. Before we drain, we need to know how much to drain...

For CYA > 90ppm, repeat the test adjusting the procedure as follows:

1. Fill the mixing bottle to the lower mark with pool water.
  2. Continue filling the mixing bottle to the upper mark with tap water.
  3. Shake briefly to mix.
  4. Pour off half of the contents of the mixing bottle, so it is again filled to the lower mark (15 ml line).
  5. Continue the test normally from adding R-0013, but multiply the final result by two.
Read up on no drain water exchange here:

Would also be nice to know a bit about how big and what type of pool we are dealing with...
Can you update your signature?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.