New Pool Owner looking to Learn...Where to Start?

Ok back with results....

FC: 0
CC: 0
TC: 0
pH: 7.4
T/A: 90
CH: 330
CYA: 30

I estimated for a 23000 pool and overshot the calcium a little... I'll step back my estimates to about 21000 gallons.

So I should be ready for some chlorine now correct? The chart tells me my shock is around 12 correct?

Anything else before i let the chlorine fly? I'm still hesitant to run the pump all day, although that should be fine for now until the stuff starts to disappear.

SWEET! going to add about 2.5 gallons (according to the calculator) to the pool now.

Water is BLACK now! Cover is still on as I need to cut down a overgrown bush in the planter right next to the pool. Once this is gone on Saturday I'll take the cover off totally.

Wiscousian,

I haven't read through the whole thread so I may be repititious. If you put that chlorine in last night, it is likely gone this AM. Chlorine is consumable and a black pool may very well consume 30-40 gallons of chlorine before your pool starts to get really clear.

If the 2.4 gallons is all you have, you need some more ASAP.

When you first start the process, chlorine is usually consumed quite rapidly.....perhaps as much as 50% in the first few hours.

One of the principles of shocking is to keep your FC elevated constantly so you will, in the beginning, need to test every few hours. However, that soon starts to slow down and after a day or so, you can probably replenish FC twice daily. I recommend the earliest AM you can stand and once again in the evening after the sun is off the pool.

If you do not keep your FC elevated up around shock level, you will have inneffective results. There is an article in Pool School....."How to Shock Your Pool"

I agree with Dave, at the beginning we recommend testing often as much as hourly and adding bleach to hold shock level. Then after a awhile your loss slows down and you don't have to monitor it as closely and can switch to the schedule Dave suggested.

ok well since I'm working today it's not feasible to test hourly. I did however add about 1.5 gallons and ran the pump for about 10 minutes while adding before I left today. I tested before i added more and the chlorine was at about 1. I'll be sure to hit it hard this weekend to keep the levels up. Once the huge mugo pine gets cut out i'll take the cover off and snap some process photos.

thanks for the help.... I'll do what i can to keep the level high whenever i'm around.

No vacuum yet but it's set to arrive on Monday...so i can start vacuuming out the bottom.

This leads to another question...do i need a converter for the skimmer or can i somehow plug the vacuum hose into the send line in the bottom of the skimmer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks everyone again,

I've been keeping the shock level up and it's slowly cleaning itself. This weekend we did lots of work, removing an overgrown bush, leaning the patio area and eventually removing and cleaning the cover. There is a few tears in the cover that need to be fixed, any idea who could go this? It would appear to be an easy job requiring maybe a small patch in a few areas. Also there are a few areas the the tile surround needs to be fixed...I have extra tiles but i hope that these missing ones are sitting at the bottom of the pool.

After taking off the cover I found 2 additional return lines and uncapped those. Brushed the bottom of the shallow end to stir up lots of brown gunk. Pump pressure is getting better and the water is slowly changing color. Below is a pick of yesterday, it was much clearer this morning until I brushed the bottom to move things around again.

I need to get skimmer weirs, eyeball vents, a solar cover, and a few anchors for the winter cover to replace the ones that are missing. Should i get a solar cover local to avoid shipping charges? I bet the cover is going to be expensive simply because of the odd shape. I'll keep adding photos as things progress.. keeping my shock level high.

pool1.jpg

pool2.jpg

pool3.jpg

Re. the solar cover, you'd get a rectangular and cut to fit. If there's a local store you'd like to give business to, you can ask them about cover prices. (One shop near me has a free-labor policy on Polaris if you bring it in, and frequently has a 2-for-1 deal on 12.5% chlorine, so I get my acid and DE from them too. If they carried Taylor test kit refills I'd never have a reason to go to Leslie's.)
--paulr

Here are updated photos from this morning....Please tell me you see progress and that I'm in the home stretch!

It still looks a little dirty and now i've got a vacuum so i can start using that...It's looking better but just a little.

pool-5-7-10_1.jpg

pool-5-7-10_2.jpg

pool-5-7-10_3.jpg

pool-5-7-10_4.jpg

What I will tell you from experience with a swamp in which I am still fighting is....keep it up, getting frustrated is easy for sure!
Also when you start vacuuming don't be surprised if your pool turns some aweful colors. Vacuum slowly around the dark areas so as not to over stir.
Pool Owner Patience is the key to success I am learning! Know you are not alone, I have been at shock level for 2 weeks now and my little monster is still eating chlorine, not saying this is gonna happen to you but it can.
From your pics you definitely have progress so keep it up, your getting there!

I'll just keep the level high to keep fighting! Hope that i can get this pool sparkling by mid june...maybe I'm crazy.

I brush it to stir it up every few days....this lets the filter pick up some of the Crud.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.