New Pool Owner in Mesa, AZ

Yeah, perhaps it was a test error, or something like that because everything has been holding so well. Hopefully if that was the case, we'll be able to tell on the next test.
Just let me know what reading the hubby comes up with when he checks it, and we will go from there.

OH and Happy Anniversary, Rusty and Bonnie. I hope you 2 have many more happy, and healthy years together. Enjoy your special day :)

Thanks, we are going out to get a nice dinner tonight and get away from the kids for a little while. We have 4 of our 6 adult kids living with us right now and one 3 year old granddaughter. It will be nice to get out of the house for a little while.

4 hours later FC 28 so stayed the same. This time my daughter got the water sample for the first time. It will be interesting to see what the results are next time. Rusty will be home from work in time to do the next test! This test might have been flawed. My daughter got the sample and sat it down while I was scooping out the powder. Right after I dumped it in she asked if it was at 10ml. I thought she had measured it. It was a little way above the mark, so it might have been off some. Then I got to drop 29 and ran out of the liquid and had to go find the 2nd bottle we bought. Lol it's always something.

LOL yes it is always something. (or at least it always something here at my house).

If the test your hubby does tonight shows little to no FC loss then proceed with the steps for OCLT.

Thankfully, once you pass OCLT and your levels drop, you won't have to be using all that many drops. LOL I lost count a few times during my SLAM and had to start over. :). You guys have fun and be safe. Again Happy Anniversary. :)

Humm, that's a tough one trying to determine if it was it a testing error, or an actual drop when it's been holding so well.

Let's see, what to do, what to do, should we test OCLT tonight, or not? I'll settle it the democratic way- Eeny, meeny, miny, moe
LOL just kidding.

It won't hurt to attempt OCLT tonight if you want to, or since it's your Anniversary you can wait until tomorrow see what the numbers do and test tomorrow night If the numbers remain stable. It certainly won't hurt to leave the levels in the higher range for another day for sure with all the dust he's been finding the past few days. Either way will be fine.

If you do decide to go ahead and attempt OCLT tonight just don't forget to do Both a FC and a CC level tonight, and test them both again in the morning. I hope this helps. Have a wonderful night. :)

Eeny, meeny, miny, moe, making me feel like a kid again, after all that's how we made decision back then...lol... how funny! Anyway, we already decided to wait until tomorrow night for the OCLT test. Rusty doesn't work Saturday or Sunday this week (very unusual for a Home Depot worker). He will be here to do all the testing so less chance of errors. Hopefully the chlorine usage will hold steady tomorrow!

Have a wonderful night ��

I guess it's a good thing we didn't bother with the test last night. We took the last test a little earlier than usual last night. So in a little over 10 hours last night we lost 6. After bumping it up to 28 last night it was down to 21 this morning at 7:10am.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually I think he only bumped it up to 27 last night. I typed it wrong in the above.

Oh poo. Yeah an OCLT would have done you no good at all. :(. But that's why we do this and encourage people to stick with it as to not prematurely stop the SLAM. Well apparently the chlorine has found more in there to eradicate, so we'll let it just keep doing it's job.

Did you by any chance check a CC level either last night, or this morning? It's not a biggy if you didn't, I was just curious if it went up anymore, or not. Well carry on just like you have been, and we will hopefully get it all killed out of there soon. Have a wonderful day.:)

You guys are doing great keeping the chlorine levels up!

One thing I'm not sure anyone has mentioned - if your pool has an underwater light, it may be very beneficial to pop the light out of its niche, scrub inside the niche and all around the light housing. Lots of nasty stuff can be hiding in there. To remove the light, you probably have to physically get in the water - so, let the chlorine level get to your SLAM level or just below, hop in the pool (wear an older bathing suit to avoid bleaching out a newer one), take a phillips screwdriver with you and remove the one screw at the top of the bezel. After removing the screw, tilt the top of the housing out a bit and lift slightly. Be sure to scrub the inside of the niche and the entire light housing real good. Some folks have even left the fixture "floating" in the pool until completing their SLAM. Just be sure to not lose the screw or let the pool cleaner get tangled in the cord.

After you're done, hose yourself and the suit off. Then, bump your chlorine level back up. The removal instructions above are generic, your actual light fixture may vary - but most I've seen are as above.

Cleaning behind the light may assist in getting you closer to the end of your SLAM.

Keep up the great job!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
After losing 6 over night we went six hours today only losing 1. Now, four hours later and we lost 4 and dropped to FC 22.

Thanks for the new idea proavia. We do have an underwater light which was broken when we got the pool and you can see water in it. We haven't had the money to fix it yet, but sounds like a very likely place for the algae to hide. We just poured in more chlorine before we read your post, but plan to get in there and clean it out as soon as our levels are down enough to get in.

Yeah, there is something definitely still lurking in there somewhere. Just keep on doing what your doing. When you all remove the light cover etc. be sure, and throw the breaker for safety.

I've not talked to my sis in AZ today. What are your current temps running?

We've had a cold front move in here today with a big high of 68F, and a low of 50F. So swimming here is officially over. LOL my sis came in from AZ this past Summer. Our temps then were like in the 80's, I laughed at her the entire time because she was constantly complaining she was freezing, and wore a flipping Coat the entire time. LOL I told her the hot AZ temps have made her a sissy. (actually she had recently be battling breast cancer, and the chemo, and radiation had a lot to do with it. But being her sis, I felt it was my place to aggravate the dog snot out of her because of it lol).

You guys have a wonderful night. I'm hoping whatever is still lurking gets located.

It was actually a little cooler yesterday but we had full sun so crazy. I think it got up to 86 yesterday. Hotter today. The outside temperature reading when I was driving earlier said it's 107. I haven't had a chance to watch the weather news today, but we are starting to get storm warnings.

This pool has done nothing but eat chlorine since about May or June and we kept going to the pool store and pouring in different things that would clear it up for a week or so and then have it come right back. We're glad we found this website.

Sorry to hear about your sisters health problems. We wish her well. Yes, it is your place to giver a hard time...lol.

We will get your pool issue resolved. We just have to keep at it until it's all located and killed out.

Sis is actually doing really well now, and is currently in remission. She even has her hair back in from the chemo. :) The cancer was found After she moved to AZ, so I hated the fact that I was so far away from her while she was fighting that battle, but she fought it like a trooper, and came out even stronger on the other side. :).

Anyway, you guys have a wonderful night, and we'll see what tomorrow brings. :)

9:20pm FC 26, didn't drop at all in the last 4 hours 20 minutes. We also tested CC 1. We are bumping it back up to 28 for the night.

I know you're either 2 or 3 hours ahead of us depending on where you live in KY, so if you're still up have a wonderful night. If not, and you don't see this until tomorrow, have a wonderful day. My sister in KY lives in central time and works in eastern
Time... how confusing!! I like living in AZ, we don't even have daylight savings time and I don't miss that at all! No more springing forward or falling back!

I'm glad to see the levels holding again. Hopefully they'll hold tonight too.

I am 2 hours ahead of you right now.

Yes living in one time zone and working in another would drive me bananas. Nope, I don't think I would like that one bit.

I don't think I would miss not having daylight savings time either. I don't mind the Springing forward, but I hate the Falling back part of it. It seemed like when I was working nights that I always got stuck working on that fall back night, and was stuck there an extra hour. Yuck!

You guys have a nice night tonight, and day tomorrow too. I'm fixing to hit the sack. :).

8:15am FC 24, down about 4 from last night.

Rusty is trying to take out the underwater light. With obvious water in there it has to also have some unwanted algae. He's running into problems getting it out. It looks like the previous owners forced a larger screw in than should be there. No luck getting it out. Maybe he will try again later if he can figure out something else to try. Like I said before, it's always something!

We are bumping it back up to 26.

We are having an exciting day. Grandbaby #6 is on the way in Chicago �� we are going to facetime with our daughter, son in law and new grandson after he is born. We won't get to see him in person until we meet them in Nashville sometime in November.

Have a wonderful day��

If he can't get the screw out right now, have him attempt to spray water from the hose all around the outside and inside of the metal bezel. With enough pressure, you might see a bit of green gunk or dirt come out. Not the ideal way to do it, but if the screw is stuck.....

Congrats on the new grandbaby! :goodjob:

Yeah with that drop something is still hiding for sure.

I'm sorry he's having issues with that light. I agree that could very well be where some of the hiding algae is lurking. I think you said the cover is broken with a large crack/hole on it, didn't you? If that's the case, and he's not able to get the cover off. Perhaps if he sticks the hose of a wet/dry vac down in front of the light, and then someone else turn the vac on once the hose is down there he can suck a lot of it out? At least until he can get the cover off to thoroughly clean behind it? (Do this without him in the pool of course for safety reasons).

LOL of course that will only work until the vac fills up with water, which it will do quickly, but it might help pull some of the algae out of hiding in order for the chlorine to reach it better. Also once it is clean be sure and replace the cover or seal the light off somehow to try to prevent anything from hiding in there in the future. I hope this helps.

I'm so excited for you on grandbaby #6. Nothing any more precious. Enjoy your facetime. Have a wonderful day :)

2nd reading today FC 25.5, down only .5 in 4 hours 10 minutes.

He just sprayed around the light to see what happens. A black leaf and a bunch of black gunk came out. The water in the bulb looks black. There are no visible cracks or holes in the light to go in and vacuum it out. I guess we're going to have to pay someone to come out and replace the light. We got a quote of $400 a while back. We have no credit cards because we lost everything to the economy a few years ago but we will figure this out. I think this pool will just keep eating up the chlorine until we get this fixed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.