New Pool Owner in Mesa, AZ

Yes, give it 30 mins to an hour to circulate then recheck the FC and CC level, and let us know where they're at.

What was your FC level this afternoon before adding?

Probably just the filter pump will be enough to circulate it well enough. If we see it isn't then you can turn the other on with it later. No sense in using extra electric if you don't have to, but if he's cleaning it now too that's fine, but I don't think it will be necessary to run the cleaning pump all the time.

Our FC was still at 5 this afternoon. Thanks for all of your help. I'll let you know what the first results are in a little while.

Also, a big thank you to the person who posted that liquid chlorine is cheaper at NPS. At $5 the two gallon box was $1.48 cheaper than Walmart.

You're welcome like I said you caught yours in the early stages so it shouldn't take too long to get all the algae killed out of there.
Wow that's an awesome price. Saving money I like it. :) Catch ya in about an hour. :)

Yes just do it in an hour and see how well it's holding. If it holds pretty well you can expand the checks to every 2, 3, 4 hours etc., and add as needed to bump to 24 when it drops below 24ppm, otherwise you are good to go, so just let it ride at 26ppm.

Just check it in an hour or so to see if it's still above 24ppm, or if you need to add any to get it back up to 24ppm.

At bedtime, I always just checked it and bumped it 1 or2ppm higher say the 26ppm you're at now, and since your algae issue isn't a severe one it should hold it relatively close tonight while you sleep. Then recheck and adjust again in the morning. Also about once a day check the CC level too just to see if it's changing. Otherwise, that's the way it's done :). Your level looks good.

I suspect the cloudiness is the chlorine breaking down the algae or perhaps something caused by the other stuff you've added. :) Just keep the filter running, backwash when the pressure gauge gets 25% higher, or around 5psi higher than it's usual level. Brush the pool a couple times and day, and vacuum as need if you see debris on the bottom. It might also help to catch the smaller particles to put either a skimmer sock or a knee high panty hose in the skimmer basket. It can sometimes help prevent those small particles from getting to the filter preventing you from having to backwash as often. I hope this helps. Have a wonderful night.

Last edited:
So when we tested about 1 1/2 hours later (6:40pm) FC was down to 25. Then we tested it about 10pm and FC was down to 20. We decided to also check CC which was 2. We added 102 ounces to bring it up to 27 overnight and will test again around 7am tomorrow.

Sounds good. You guys are doing great. The FC level (chlorine) will drop faster through the day because of the sun depleting it, so you might want to check it frequently, and bump the levels back up and maintain them at 24ppm. If possible try to do this hourly at least until you can determine how fast the sun depletion will drop the levels. The more often the chlorine remains at shock level, the faster the algae is killed off. :)

Once the algae starts to be killed off, you'll start to notice the FC levels will hold much longer, you'll not have to add as much chlorine. I suspect we'll start seeing that start to happen fairly soon. You guys are doing an awesome job. Have a wonderful night. :)

Good morning,

That sounds good. Just continue to bump the chlorine level up to 24ppm as often as possible. How does the pool look this morning, is it still cloudy?

As long as you can see the bottom (for safety reasons), and let the FC drop just below 24 it will be safe to swim in. After swimming then bump it back up to 24ppm or slightly above. You both are doing awesome and you'll be algae free before you know it.

Have a safe Labor Day weekend. :)

Good morning,

The pool looks a lot clearer this morning. We put enough chlorine in it around 7:15 this morning to bump it up to 25 because we thought it would be a couple of hours until we could get back to check it again. We just returned and at 10:48 we took the reading and it was back down to 21. We will be able to monitor it more closely until about 2:45 when my husband has to go to work. He will be there until 11:00 tonight. I'm not sure if I will be able to monitor it while he is gone because I have a super hard time getting down on the ground and an even harder time getting back up... it's not fun getting old...lol. I know I will have a hard time getting down there to get a sample of the water and not sure if my son or daughter will be here to help. Any recommendations on what level to bring it to before he leaves? At least it's a cloudy day and doesn't have the full sun on it today.

By the way, what part of KY are you from? I grew up in Cincinnati and spent every summer at Gwinn Island, KY near Danville. My sister now lives in Russell Springs and my husband's siblings live in Columbia and Nancy near Somerset.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello I completely understand about it being difficult to get down and back up, as I am getting old, and am disabled myself. LOL gravity will get us down there, but unfortunately won't get us back up.

It appears you are losing about 4ppm of chlorine every 3 1/2 hours-4 hours, which is pretty consistent with last nights drop too. Once the sun goes down you will lose a little less. Let's try having him bump it to say 30ppm before he leaves today, and you don't have to do a thing, but let the pump run while he's at work.:)

Then have him check it when he gets home and bump it to 26-27ppm at bedtime to try to keep it from dropping below shock level during the night.
I hope this helps. Have a wonderful day.

Oh, I am actually from Owensboro. I'm 90 miles North of Bowling Green, and a little over 100 miles Southwest of Louisville. Small world isn't it? My sister lives in Mesa.

We bumped it up to 25 at10:48 this morning and have checked it twice then then. Both times it read 25. Second reading was taken about 2:30. It hasn't gone down at all since the 10:48 reading this morning. Should we still bump it up before he leaves?

That's okay, after all that's what the pool is for! He went ahead and bumped it up to 31 since he will be gone for 8 hours. We will test again when he gets home. Hopefully we won't have to add again at that time since he bumped it up so high.

Yes, it is a small world. I met my husband in KY when I was 23. I was living in Cincinnati and he was in Chicago and we'd meet in KY while he was visiting his mom and I was visiting my sister. 4 1/2 yr long distance relationship until we married in 1982 and I moved to IL. I miss labor day weekends skiing on Lake Cumberland!

Thanks for all your help. We will test FC and CC again tonight, adjust if needed and continue tomorrow morning. Have a good night.

Awesome story, thanks for sharing it. It sounds like a storybook romance, and that you 2 were destine to meet. Yes, Lake Cumberland is a Beautiful place.

We have a beautiful 3BR cabin on Rough River, I use to do a lot of skiing, but can't anymore. The hubby and I have both had a rough year, and we've not even made it up there this Summer at all :(. I'm getting ready to have surgery #35 on the 17th, and my hubby is also disabled, and is going blind from his diabetes, so we're a pathetic bunch around here anymore. I suspect we'll probably end up having to sell the cabin, but I'd sure hate to see it go because there are a lot of happy memories from up there for sure.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the levels continue to hold for you. I'm hoping the CC level has dropped some from what it was at last check, but only time will tell. The main thing is that we ensure all that algae is killed off before dropping the chlorine levels because if not, as soon as the FC level drops, the algae will kick back in on you guys, and we certainly don't want that to happen. We will defeat the algae. lol Have a wonderful night. :)

We put enough chlorine in to bump it to 31 around 2:40 this afternoon since my husband was going to work for 8 hours. He just got home and we checked the levels. FC 22 and CC 1. We are going to bump it up to 28 and see how it does through the night.

Sorry to hear you've been having such a rough time. I wouldn't be able to ski anymore either, but it was the most fun I ever had when I was younger. I always loved being in the water. I wish you two well and hope things get a little better for you. Wishing all goes well for you on the 17th.

I'll post our numbers again in the morning. Goodnight!

So from 11:30 last night to 8:400 this morning it went from FC 28 to FC 24. From the reading at 8:40 this morning until 11:00 (we were going to check it sooner, but lost track of time) it went from FC 24 to FC 20. We are bumping back up to 24.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.