New pool owner concerns

jharr62

May 8, 2024
Hi everyone, new pool owner here. Not a new pool, a gunite pool, 20K gal, chlorine, built in 1974, but acquired by me about 1 month ago.
When I first moved in, I had some algae issues, and some cloudy water. I scrubbed the algae down, and used an algacide and clarifier, as directed by a local pool store, based on their testing. The water was pretty clear after this process, looking good.
Same pool store, looking at some pictures of my equipment, recommended a new filter-the filter in place was fairly old...original equipment? Probably not, but the fiberglass body was definitely showing some wear.
So, the pool store sold me a new filter, and installed an in-line chlorinator.
But apparently, there were some electrical issues that arose shortly after this installation, and the pump simply stopped working. This was also a new pump, installed by the previous owner immediately prior to my purchase of the house.
I sought help from the pool store, but...well sure, I didn't get a lot of response when I called, and when I visited the store, so I found someone else to come look at the situation. He was fantastic, got the pump working, said it was a rather simple wiring issue, and the pump and filter have been working fine ever since.
But...while the pump was out, I had no filtration and no circulation for about 3 days. The water got real ugly again. Only this time, and going to a different pool store for water testing, etc (yeah, not going back to the first one) but nothing they or their computer have recommended have worked. Now, when I go there, I get sort of shoulder shrugs and a "well, it just takes time." It's been a week now since I went to the second store with my water sample.
My water is still cloudy, and I don't know what to do. It isn't a green cloudy, more of a bluish cloudy. The bottom drain is at 9 feet (they built them deep in '74), and I cannot see it from poolside.
Here is another question. What test kit should I get? Or, which chemical property tests should I make sure are included in a kit? Is it all pretty basic?
Does it help to know other conditions? Louisiana, not bad leaf fall directly impacting the pool, bottom drain as well as skimmer,...
Thanks in advance for your commiseration and your guidance.
Jack

Hi everyone, new pool owner here. Not a new pool, a gunite pool, 20K gal, chlorine, built in 1974, but acquired by me about 1 month ago.
When I first moved in, I had some algae issues, and some cloudy water. I scrubbed the algae down, and used an algacide and clarifier, as directed by a local pool store, based on their testing. The water was pretty clear after this process, looking good.
Same pool store, looking at some pictures of my equipment, recommended a new filter-the filter in place was fairly old...original equipment? Probably not, but the fiberglass body was definitely showing some wear.
So, the pool store sold me a new filter, and installed an in-line chlorinator.
But apparently, there were some electrical issues that arose shortly after this installation, and the pump simply stopped working. This was also a new pump, installed by the previous owner immediately prior to my purchase of the house.
I sought help from the pool store, but...well sure, I didn't get a lot of response when I called, and when I visited the store, so I found someone else to come look at the situation. He was fantastic, got the pump working, said it was a rather simple wiring issue, and the pump and filter have been working fine ever since.
But...while the pump was out, I had no filtration and no circulation for about 3 days. The water got real ugly again. Only this time, and going to a different pool store for water testing, etc (yeah, not going back to the first one) but nothing they or their computer have recommended have worked. Now, when I go there, I get sort of shoulder shrugs and a "well, it just takes time." It's been a week now since I went to the second store with my water sample.
My water is still cloudy, and I don't know what to do. It isn't a green cloudy, more of a bluish cloudy. The bottom drain is at 9 feet (they built them deep in '74), and I cannot see it from poolside.
Here is another question. What test kit should I get? Or, which chemical property tests should I make sure are included in a kit? Is it all pretty basic?
Does it help to know other conditions? Louisiana, not bad leaf fall directly impacting the pool, bottom drain as well as skimmer,...
Thanks in advance for your commiseration and your guidance.
Jack
Welcome to TFP lots of folks who get pool stored end up here with similar stories. We only recommend two test kits and Id recommend the TF-PRO. Heres a link to the what/why.

Calling @PoolStored !!
Someone call me? Ha ha...looks like it. Welcome to #TeamPoolStored. Add your story to the PoolStored thread link in my bio.

Get a good test kit as @Bperry indicated.

Add 3ppm of liquid chlorine a day until you test kit arrives...this will slow algae growth.

Print the slam process out, read it three times, keep it with you. When your kit arrives, follow this process to clear your pool. Link-->SLAM Process

Last edited:
Reactions: Bperry
Someone call me? Ha ha...looks like it. Welcome to #TeamPoolStored. Add your story to the PoolStored thread link in my bio.

Get a good test kit as @Bperry indicated.

Add 3ppm of liquid chlorine a day until you test kit arrives...this will slow algae growth.

Print the slam process out, read it three times, keep it with you. When your kit arrives, follow this process to clear your pool. Link-->SLAM Process
Hi PoolStored,
Thanks for your reply and your guidance. I will follow your advice.
I do have one question. How much is 3 ppm liquid chlorine? Where do I get liquid chlorine? Just....oh jeez, at a pool store?
Thanks,
Jack

Hi PoolStored,
Thanks for your reply and your guidance. I will follow your advice.
I do have one question. How much is 3 ppm liquid chlorine? Where do I get liquid chlorine? Just....oh jeez, at a pool store?
Thanks,
Jack
Walmart, home depot, lowes, Menards, pinch-a-penny all have chlorinating liquid. 1 gallon of 10% will add 5ppm to 20k gallons. So a little less than a gallon. Even 5ppm each day is ok, no need for measuring cups.