New pool - Oro Valley (Tucson) AZ

Thanks! Time to start landscaping and get this project completed, the yard is still a disaster. Here are a few new photos of how things are moving along. The builder was nice and upgraded us to the color changing intellibrites as they did not have the white bulbs in stock.

D802F614-B6F7-4E3A-86F9-006CD3E3335A.jpg

850A240B-311A-401B-A7CA-AEE2FD2959AC.jpg

05A7E6B6-2CB7-417B-A2B7-34DF18245A5B.jpg

84E56A0D-9962-4BE9-98A9-17DCAF8B9985.jpg

D24EF4B5-F65E-49EB-99C7-DE5C6AF8E3A7.jpg

I love talking plants....are those H. funifera (giant hesperaloe)? If so they will clump up too big for that area...within 5 years or so they will be 6'x6' and pushing out over the pool.

What elevation are you at there, and how much cold protection are you willing to do? None, a little if it's really really cold, ___?

Yes they are giant hesperaloe... I figured I could keep them trimmed up pretty good? No? Maybe this is the reason I have landscaped my back yard 3 times in 7 years....

You can see the first few pictures to get an idea of the plants we have at our disposal (I really didn't want to waste them).

I believe we are about 2800 feet... the issue is we back on to the Canada Del Oro Wash and the cold air that runs down the wash kills us in the winter. We have a few citrus that we are willing to protect, but I would rather not have to cover anything else. We would also prefer plants we do not need to water. I am very appreciative of any suggestions you may have! I wasn't kidding about the beer.... wine... or lemonade.... depending....

I don't think those plants take well to pruning...they clump up from the base, and so there isn't really a way to keep them looking small. They will continue to spread outward even if you keep them short, and eventually you end up with something like this in just a few years:
http://www.public.asu.edu/~camartin/plants/Plant html files/Hesperaloe funifera sheared.JPG
I wouldn't put those there.

If you are growing citrus you must not get too terribly cold. There aren't that many things that will thrive with no supplemental water at all, but with a little help (every other week maybe) your options open up a lot!

What kind of look are you going for? tropical, deserty, somewhere in between? Vines, succulents, flowers? No spines allowed, or are they OK? I see you had some cacti back there before, but they're gone now. They can be a little tough on inflatable pool toys! Just trying to get an idea of what you might like.

Of the stuff we've put in, here are a few favorites of mine for Tucson:
Yucca recurvifolia (weeping yucca, huge stalks of white flowers)
Salvia greggii (lots of colors available)
pomegranates
Pedilanthus macrocarpus
Poliomintha maderensis
Lateveria maritima 'bicolor'
Aloe ferox (all the aloes will need protection in low 20s)
Aloe karasbergensis
Aloe wickensii
Aloe variegata
Aloe hemmingii
Aloe vera
Buddleia davidii (butterfly bush)
lavendar (various types)
Hibiscus coccineus
smaller Hesperaloes (parviflora various colors, campanulata)
Drosanthemum floribundum
Chaemerops humilis (Mediterranean fan palm, looks like you've already got one!
Callistemon citrinus 'Little John' (fantastic low shrubs)
Caesalpinia gilliesii
Urginea maritima (winter growing bulb)
Eremophila glabra ("emu bush" once was hard to find, now getting easy)
Agave (my favorites....)
- victoriae-reginae
- titanota (protection below 30)
- 'Sharkshin'
- pelona (very very drought tolerant)
- parryi
- montana
- lophantha 'Quadricolor'
- ferdinandi-regis
- bracteosa
- parrasana
- 'Little Shark'

Wow, that got really long really fast.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, forgot the vines.

Hardenbergia violacea 'Happy Wanderer'
Parthenocissus 'Hacienda Creeper'
Jasmine

The grass went in last week.... yes look at all that debris in the pool...... :( The idea behind it came from eliminating the plastic pool drain and joining the slate and travertine decks. I think it turned out quite well (better once the slate gets sealed)! Onto the next phase - we decided to stucco the back fence and paint the house since it looks like junk next to our shiny new pool! Landscaping is on hold until we can find the time to finish that up.

C245670D-E848-460E-A759-1A3153922946.jpg

8CA00B14-A0D8-42CE-93E9-8C9ED400377F.jpg

610824A8-893A-49A5-A411-BC1E9A32CFBD.jpg

59471C1B-77E0-4EBA-949E-9B8FEB6C96E5.jpg

E5435121-5B2C-4786-93C8-F32CE2DCC6A8.jpg

4D173F08-E8DE-4ABA-A718-AEB2E9D2B92F.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pool is spectacular! The back yard and view is beautiful! Thank you for updating!

What type of lights are those on the ground around your house ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In ground 15x27. 84 feet perimeter; Gallons 12,800; Jandy VSP; Jandy DE60; Jandy LXI 400k NG; Barrcuda T5; 2 pool led lights; 1 spa Led light; aqua blue pebble sheen

Sorry for the late reply, I am assuming you are talking about the lights along the house? They are made by Hinkley - Piza is the model name.

What type of lights are those on the ground around your house ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In ground 15x27. 84 feet perimeter; Gallons 12,800; Jandy VSP; Jandy DE60; Jandy LXI 400k NG; Barrcuda T5; 2 pool led lights; 1 spa Led light; aqua blue pebble sheen

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.