New Pool IG - Inland Empire, CA - Pool finished, end pix soon!

Re: New Pool IG - Inland Empire, CA - Stone arrive on-site and some gunite questions!

Good to know. I assume the stone mason will cut it since it's in the way... he should be showing up in the next couple of days.

Our tile just arrived with some grout. Tiles are a smidgen grayer than the samples and don't have that hint of electric blue (you can see it when you hold the same 'print' up against a sample we have). Being from the industry (father worked for W.E.T. (Bellagio fountains etc.)) and a detail noticing scientist myself, it could be something we could go on about with quality control and complain about, but, I think we'll let this one go. Professionals would consider the color change and work something out (be forced to by the 'might' of W.E.T.), but dealing at this level of public pool construction, we'd just be laughed at I'm sure (it's within allowance). Overall, it's not noticeable (but my father did notice it at first glance without the aid of the more blue samples, he was good at his job...).

Re: New Pool IG - Inland Empire, CA - No work being done... excuses excuses...

After no contact from the PB for 14 days straight, and a statement from her boss last Monday that the mason would show up within a few days, nothing thus far. We've lost a solid week of work and we're noticing that many other things could have been done while the pool was curing during that 10 day period etc...

We contacted the PB in email today and we received a bunch of excuses and no actual information once again. PB said she'd be in touch with her "field supervisor" (first we've heard of this person existing) and would let us know information after the meeting. The meeting supposedly happened 4 hours ago, nothing. Mason was supposed to show up last week, then on Monday, and then today, and then as of the no show morning we said that's enough kicking the can and made our displeasure known.

So, excuses our PB have given us throughout the project has been- she had surgery, her sister had a baby, her phone fell into water and couldn't use it, and now an emergency with her grandparents. Now, I'm not one to question someone's personal life and potential emergencies to not joke about... but it is awfully amazing how so much has been going on in her life in these past 4 weeks......

What gets us the most is that if there's something going on, why are her duties not immediately being handled by someone else? Also, the excuse of her phone falling in water... she has a laptop (we've seen it), and supposedly an office... so it's not much of an excuse to not answer a weeks worth of emails...

SO, anyways... for the FOURTH time now, the Mason may be showing up tomorrow. I'm sure it'll be interesting when things start moving again as (always mentioned) there are many small things we've identified that will become issues... stay tuned...

Re: New Pool IG - Inland Empire, CA - No work being done... excuses excuses...

It's so frustrating. We had some radio silence with our PB as well, so I feel your pain. Hope that tomorrow is when the tide turns!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: New Pool IG - Inland Empire, CA - Masons showed up, feeling down about the build-

Masons showed up. It's not the guy they said would show up, and is just some idiot in his truck that doesn't know anything about the project whatsoever. He wants to finish the edge of the flagstone with a grinder and give it about 1/8" of scraped 45 edge. I told him about chipping the sides etc. and he said "Oh, I don't know...", my dreams of a nicely chipped edge to the pool apparently never even existed. The West edge of the pool that is raised with stacked stone on the side is problematic with the gunite shell... he says that the coping will be 14" everywhere, but over there since the wall was poured thick, it will be 16". Think that would be noticeable? Personally, I think having it a tad bigger is actually not bad since it'll make it a better seat... but then the other side of me (the scientific side) says coping is 14" so it should be exactly that all around and anything else is not done properly...

This coupled with the current thought that our jumping rock will be a death trap (3.5' above coping, 6' water depth) (check my other current thread) I'm in a pretty care free mode today. I sent an email to the PB asking where Alex is (not David who is here)... but personally I want to call the PB and call them all a bunch of idiots (among other choice words). Not happy today. Just in a bad mood maybe, but god, I think I hate these people.

Re: New Pool IG - Inland Empire, CA - Masons showed up, feeling down about the build-

Convinced him to do a hammered corner a while ago. Then realized he doesn't even have a mason or bricklayer hammer... he's using a framing hammer. Unprofessional idiots. I bet they picked this guy up on a whim today.

Welp, we looked at his work, said it looks horrible, and stopped it. He's not a licensed mason and to be honest, does not know at all what he is doing, he doesn't know how to hit a rock and chip it, how to work with an edge, or anything (not to be snobby, but I'm a geologist, I have the know how). The guy can cut stone and cement it etc, but has not a single concept about full fledged stonework (not his fault he's not right for this job). We called the PB's office and I was... 'firm' with her. I got particularly upset when she wouldn't give me the cell number of our project manager (we have it somewhere, but I figured I'd just grab it from her at the office). I said some colorful words to her in my discussion of "well, who on earth can I talk to?" and when she asked to take a message I responded "Not one single message I've ever left with you has EVER been returned, so why would I do that?"

I also was 'firm' with her when I mentioned not using a mason hammer and she replied dripping with sarcasm "You're upset he's not using the right hammer?"... ya know, actually I am.

The phone was... 'commandeered' from me by the old man and he played good cop... so long story short, the PB owner should be out of a meeting in about 15 minutes or so and is supposed to get in touch with us.

The nightmare comes to life...

I feel for you Geosage. I went through the same thing...3 different Masons to get the chiseled edge I was looking for. I paid the second guy $1,000 to start and when it was done, it was completely wrong. I ended up breaking off the flagstone myself and it was a complete waste of materials that I had re-buy. I was ready to call it quits and purchase regular chiseled wall caps from Thompsons but finally found some sub-contractors that knew what they were doing. As for the different size coping, you'll be okay my spa is about 18" because we wanted it wide enough to sit on comfortably, the rest of the pool is 12".

I am so sorry to hear of your frustrations. But if it makes you feel any better about the width of the coping, I don't think it will be a problem going 16" on some of it. My coping is 14" but my friend's is either 16" or 18" and we used the same PB. She just didn't want any concrete or tiles butting up to her coping as she was placing artificial turf adjacent to it instead. So they made her coping wider to make it easier to walk on, etc. I didn't know there was a standard width in the industry but I think it can be customized without any issues (like the depth of a Baja shelf).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
New Pool IG - Inland Empire, CA - Masons showed up, feeling down about the build-

So sorry to hear about your PB's personal experiences. Very unfortunate. When the excuses start repeating that's really not good news.
Agree that the coping width will not make any difference and hardly be noticeable. Our flagstone coping has the exact 1/8" 45 degree bevel (which I did myself - and splendidly I might add) but the square edge is what we were looking for versus the rock face. For a rock face edge there is clearly an art to do it by hand. You also clearly had far from an artist. Best of luck with your resolution.

Beautiful design. One thing I noticed is the bench near the bottom of the jumping rock. Is there any way you could hit that when jumping?

Absolutely a huge risk and the diving platform should instead hold a nice big potted palm or something. Its an accident waiting to happen, IMO.

Yip :flower:

Re: New Pool IG - Inland Empire, CA - Stonework! (cautiously moving forward)-

Why not just pull the plug on these guys???
This is an argument I had yesterday and one I'm not going to continue with the old man. It's his money, I can only guide and suggest... so, things go onward...

Just curious- did you ask for a dive pool or a 6' deep pool?
Asked for a 6' deep pool. The jump rock came to be because we initially in our personal drawings had plans for a slide back in that corner. When we mentioned the thought of it to the PB, she said it's too expensive, she then suggested a jumprock and we said "sure!". To be honest, we're up for a bit of wild jumping, making sure to keep away from the seat, and not scrape our 'side fat' down the stacked stone sides, and very few people other than us and a couple of close friends will be using the pool... but we're just wondering if jumping from that height into that depth 'works'. I'm actually thinking or trying an experiment at my friends pool tonight to check it out.

SO... today... well... long story short... after a couple of long meetings (phone and in person) with the PB owner yesterday, we're moving forward. I don't have a picture of what the... 'mason'... was doing yesterday... but he was taking our flagstone, and just tapping the sharp corners and giving it an 'edge'. We went and picked up another piece of flat flagstone for the spill over as well as some chisels for them to use for the stone. This morning the team showed up and we were quite firm with them as well as the PB on the phone. Statements were made such as "I'll do 4-5 feet and if you don't like it, I'll leave" and then us to the PB "Where is our project manager, we're the ones managing!" and many more 'firm' words and statements. Not a peep from our 'project manager' at all, we only deal with the owner now... we assume she has abandoned the project and the owner is now in charge...

Some photos-

P8170481-1.jpg

No pictures of the work, but this is what the guy was doing yesterday, just hitting the stone a bit to soften the corner, and nothing even resembling a chiselled edge. He didn't even want to cut the slabs into smaller pieces, just wanted to use full lengths and shave off the sides (lazy). It sort of backfired on him when he went on saying "the more I work with the stone the smaller the pieces will be" and we said "well, we like smaller pieces, gives it a more varied and natural look" and then he even went on saying "well, but then the stone will be this size *holds up a piece* and not bigger" and we go "yeah, we know, that'll look great"... he complained to the PB about the time he'll have to spend on this project, but oh well. Looks like you can't just lay down slabs and cut them to shape.

P8170484-1.jpg

Not much to look at, but this was the extent of work yesterday. They're actually laying out coping and chiselling the edges today... so it'll have coping by today (likely cemented tomorrow).

P8180486-1.jpg

This guy showed up today with the other guys and showed us what he can do... he cuts the stone a bit on the edge and then chisels it to give it a natural broken edge look. What a concept... this is what everyone else has said to do (who knows what they're doing). This takes time and a bit more work, but it's what needs to be done to have it look right.

P8180487-1.jpg

Here's what the stone will look like sealed with the tile.

SO, we're moving forward, the stone guy is having to spend more time to do the job properly, and at least has a guy there who knew what he was doing. The PB owner this morning had things to say like "Well, we usually don't do this on projects, but we want to make you happy" and I shut him down with "Our project manager has known what stone we wanted for at least a month... it was her job to know the material, that it's harder and needs to be worked differently than cheaper sand flagstone, and it was her job to determine "that will cost extra for us to work with" or to inform their stone workers about the material so they would have the correct skills and tools to do the job.

The PB owner joked when we said "We're the ones managing this project" and said "Haha, well how much should I pay you?" and we shut him down informing him it's not a joke. I wonder if we'll ever heard from our project 'manager' again.

Re: New Pool IG - Inland Empire, CA - Stonework! (cautiously moving forward)-

We were voicing concerns about the stone should have a curve to it and not straight edges (think the curve of a circle vs. an octagon). The stone guys complained (too much work and difficult to do), but they're giving it a curve thus far... I think it looks fine...

P8180492-1.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.