New pool - Getting the chemicals right

Tui911

Jan 23, 2023
New Zealand
So we just filled a new above the ground pool - 17000 liters. We started by adding alkalinity booster. My husband misread the quantities and added 4 kgs instead of 3 kgs. So that caused alkalinity and PH to be too high (PH was 8.1 and alkalinity 200). We added some PH decreaser as per instructions from the pool shop (500 gr). This seemed to bring PH within the normal level (7.2). The we added 1 liter of liquid chlorine. Around 3-4 hours after doing this the TC seems to be too high and FC too low. TC is 10 and FC is 1. What's could be causing TC to be so high in a new pool? Or do I need to wait 24 hours after shocking to retest?

Hey there! There are some experts who will be able to help you, but you're really going to need a competent test kit, not the guess strips. Clear Choice Labs ships to NZ and their "Total Pool Water Testing Kit" is analogous to the TF-100/TF-Pro/K-2006C used here in North America.

In the meantime until someone else chimes in, I would take the time to read through the Pool School articles to better grasp what all the various indications mean and how they tie together. Total Chlorine is the Free Chlorine + Combined Chlorine; I wouldn't think there should really be any combined chlorine in a brand new fill - but this is why we don't trust the guess strips.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.