New Pool + Cabana + Putting Green - Lucas, TX

Two returns on the ledge? Why is that?

Auto-fill-some people love them, some say no to them. The no reason is they can "hide" a problem like a leak. It sure will look better than a hose going over to the pool to add water.

Adding the extra concrete and stone runners-you would not know it was needed until you have the forms in and see everything in real life.

OH NO on the phone control! You would think it was the standard any more! Glad you caught it now but sorry you have to come up with more $$ :(

Kim:kim:

Two returns on the ledge? Why is that?

The answer is circulation. Our ledge is kinda shaped like a bay so we were worried about water stagnation in that area. Combine stagnant water with shallow depth, hot sun, and stone bottom... sounds like a breaking ground for algae to me!

The original rendering showed a bubbler there, but somehow it didn't end up in the plan.

The answer is circulation. Our ledge is kinda shaped like a bay so we were worried about water stagnation in that area. Combine stagnant water with shallow depth, hot sun, and stone bottom... sounds like a breaking ground for algae to me!

The original rendering showed a bubbler there, but somehow it didn't end up in the plan.

What are you saying is missing and not in the plan? The picture you've post of the plan shows two returns on the ledge, they are in several pictures going back to post 152 that show two pipes coming up on the tanning ledge and even you noted that you had found a special eyeball to put on them to direct water flow? What are these if they aren't the bubblers you are talking about now? They do seem too close to the edge for bubblers, but you've got some sort of return plumbed there that looks like it could be a return. Is that something other than a return with the two pipes sticking up on the ledge? A bubbler is just a standard return in the floor pointed up. There are special ones with lights in them, but a standard bubbler is just a pipe pointed up, you can change the eyeball on it to control it's height, along with hopefully a dedicated valve back at the pad to control it as well.

What are you saying is missing and not in the plan? The picture you've post of the plan shows two returns on the ledge, they are in several pictures going back to post 152 that show two pipes coming up on the tanning ledge and even you noted that you had found a special eyeball to put on them to direct water flow? What are these if they aren't the bubblers you are talking about now? They do seem too close to the edge for bubblers, but you've got some sort of return plumbed there that looks like it could be a return. Is that something other than a return with the two pipes sticking up on the ledge? A bubbler is just a standard return in the floor pointed up. There are special ones with lights in them, but a standard bubbler is just a pipe pointed up, you can change the eyeball on it to control it's height, along with hopefully a dedicated valve back at the pad to control it as well.

The plan I posted above is after the addendum to add those returns.

The original plan (posted below) shows nothing on the ledge (except for lights) despite the rendering clearly showing a single bubbler (also posted below).

To be honest, the plans don't show the locations of any of the returns. Not sure why.

What I'm really saying is I expected a bubbler on the ledge as it appears in the rendering. I wanted it to keep the water moving more than anything and even remember talking to the PB about it before signing. For whatever reason they left it off the 2D plan (which all the builders look at), and I didn't notice that when I signed. Same situation with iPhone controls... I'm positive it was mentioned as a feature before signing. Then we sign and it's magically not included. My bad for not scrutinizing every word of the contract.

I had forgotten how big your shelf was! Good call on the extra return!

Have you had a sit down talk with your PB or Pool Company owner about the "missing" stuff? Tell him up front you realize it is your fault in the end for not reading closer but you trusted that what was in the picture would also be in the contract. All they can do is say no...............

Thanks for the clarification - didn't realize I was looking at the later plans. I agree completely though, a lot of it is probably not on purpose, but they should be responsible for making sure what you've bought and agreed on should make it in to all of the documents and the finished product. I'm watching with interest and see for the most part that you like your PB. There is another build thread here and they were very happy with RS. I'll only say that I would never use my PB again (not RS) and would steer people away from them (in private as that is discouraged here in public forum). I had RS come look and they provided a drawing and initial specs, but I didn't get a lot of follow up from them. I felt they weren't interested, so I moved on. I kind of regret that now following a few threads here.

My PB is well known around Plano/Frisco and the area, but they also exclusively use all subs. It was very interesting as I've seen you and the other homeowners be happy with RS, 3 of the subs that came and worked on my pool all dished RS pretty hard. Looking back on this I think I've discovered why. It seems I got a substandard job on a few aspects of the pool and it looks like RS must stay on them harder and demand better work. So I hope your pool continues well and I'm interested in seeing how it turns out.

Thanks for the clarification - didn't realize I was looking at the later plans. I agree completely though, a lot of it is probably not on purpose, but they should be responsible for making sure what you've bought and agreed on should make it in to all of the documents and the finished product. I'm watching with interest and see for the most part that you like your PB. There is another build thread here and they were very happy with RS. I'll only say that I would never use my PB again (not RS) and would steer people away from them (in private as that is discouraged here in public forum). I had RS come look and they provided a drawing and initial specs, but I didn't get a lot of follow up from them. I felt they weren't interested, so I moved on. I kind of regret that now following a few threads here.

My PB is well known around Plano/Frisco and the area, but they also exclusively use all subs. It was very interesting as I've seen you and the other homeowners be happy with RS, 3 of the subs that came and worked on my pool all dished RS pretty hard. Looking back on this I think I've discovered why. It seems I got a substandard job on a few aspects of the pool and it looks like RS must stay on them harder and demand better work. So I hope your pool continues well and I'm interested in seeing how it turns out.

It probably sounds like I'm complaining. These few misses are small in comparison to how amazing this pool is turning out and how well Riverbend is sticking to the schedule. The stone masons were here again today (3rd day in a row). I was impressed they'd work a Saturday. And I wish you could see the work in person... it's stunning. This rock crew is really talented. I'll post more pics tomorrow.

I don't see complaining really as much as sharing the importance of reading and double checking. That does not mean you cannot try to get some help from the PB for the stuff not included in the contract that you missed.

The pool IS coming out great! I can't wait to see it all together and done!

Artist! They are true artists!!! You have to right crew working on that coping for sure! WOW! You could walk along and take section shots of the stone work and keep us "fed" for a long time LOL That point alone would be cause of :party:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
On the curve point, is there any chance anyone could hit that from a jump? It looks really nice and adds character but could be a huge pain point (pun intended). I'm sure you've thought about it but better to check before you got any further.

On the curve point, is there any chance anyone could hit that from a jump? It looks really nice and adds character but could be a huge pain point (pun intended). I'm sure you've thought about it but better to check before you got any further.

I'm not worried about that at all. Look at this pic. The corner in question is highlited. The pool is well over 20' wide at that point, there's a bench immediately below it, and it's far from any jumping point (diving rock, waterfall, etc).

More progress on stone runners and rock waterfall...

Here's the long runner that will separate the existing covered patio from the new pool deck

I love how the spillway turned out!

Jury is still out on the waterfall and weeping wall...

I do like that the table rock should cast a shadow creating a cool shady spot on that bench!

Jumping rock is a BEAST!

Bench seat (18" raised coping) that will sit under the cabana.

View from the balcony (last night)

Here you go... I have to assume they are done at this point.

Is it my favorite feature...? eh, not exactly. It's not what I pictured. But my wife likes it and the PB designer is jazzed about it, so maybe I'm just hard to please.

I'm a detail freak. And I studied this forum for months before engaging a builder. As thorough as I was, I'm finding there are things I still missed.

And today's surprise...

The electricians were here today. Turns out my equipment package doesn't include the Jandy I-Aqualink. I still get the PDA remote control, but no smartphone controls for me unless I pony up some more dough. I'm shocked it's not part of the standard package. Every PB we talked to wouldn't shut up about controlling the pool with your phone. I guess we never specifically said we wanted it, just assumed that was the norm these days. By the same token nobody asked us either, cuz I know I didn't say no. Looks like I'll be signing another addendum on Monday.

Read your contracts folks, very closely!!

Guess I should have commented a day sooner....that sux.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.