New pool build!

Congrats! What a fun day. I remember my PB saying they are always glad to get past the gunite stage because the shells are essentially bullet-proof at that point. Except for perhaps an earthquake (maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that). As you experienced, the dirt hole doesn't hold up so well to monsoons...but all was fixable and those issues were on his dime. Regarding the small step, yeah, maybe it could have been a narrower continuous step along the whole shelf but stepping down onto the shelf level, or even the bench level, is no big deal for most people except those who have trouble going down steps anyway without holding a railing. Just put a 'no loitering' sign by that small step if it becomes valued entry and exit real estate.

Most seem to say water the shell twice a day for about 10 days (some fewer days, some more). Ours was done in February last year and he told us not to bother with the water as the evaporation rate was low that time of year. I could have anyway but didn't.

Your gunite surface finish looks identical to ours, texture, edges of steps, etc. A nice rough/grippy surface for the final surface to adhere to. Ours was Tristate Gunite of VA, Upper Marlboro, MD. Our PB was actually out of Davidsonville. Did they give you an estimate on when tile/coping would go on? Ours wanted to wait about 10 days I believe, after gunite.

If I had it to do over again, I would have gone a little more bold on our tile. So don't ask me for assistance!

We used the tan tiles from our PB's selection with burgundy brick coping. If you PM me your email, I can send you those pictures. I have not figured out how to upload pictures here. We were going for very neutral look, so it works for us.Pool_around_1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I would go darker & Bolder on the trim line tiles. I am not sure we will see those once the pool is filled.

- - - Updated - - -

another one photo.jpg

Thanks, that tile does look nice; I think we're going to go with a bolder blue 1x1 tile, if we can get it...

The pool builder gave us a selection to choose from, and each of the 4 I liked are "unavailable". I found the same ones at NPT and they do have them in stock, but NPT only takes orders from contractors, not individuals, so i'm asking my pool builder to buy from them. He wants me to just choose out of the (limited) stock they have in their warehouse. If I'm spending $$$ on this pool, I don't want to "settle" on whatever tile happens to be available. I'll keep you posted...

Well, the electrician came today. We are slowwwwwly moving forward...

imagejpg1_zps44e36151.jpg

Yes, they dug up the one patch of grass that still looked nice. Sigh.

imagejpg2_zps73db33e6.jpg

Not very happy that the pool builder STILL has not switched out the mineral sanitizer for the salt water one. That means electrician is going to have to come back yet again. But at least...it's progress.

I am seriously jealous of all those people in Texas who move from stage to stage in just days. Finally 2+ weeks after gunite, we got coping and tile yesterday!

imagejpg2_zpsa7315cc0.jpg

I wasn't too happy that our pool builder kept trying to get us to use tile from their warehouse that was in stock. But our top 3 choices were unavailable, so I went rogue and called suppliers until I found one that had the tile I wanted in stock. Then I sent my pool builder there! It just costs too much money to settle on a tile you don't love.

imagejpg4_zps8dc4c4f4.jpg

imagejpg3_zps58914f2f.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Now we're moving on to pavers around the pool. My pool builder gave us a (very reasonable) estimate for pavers. But I just found out (from the paver guy who did our patio and came out to look at the pool) that we really need a retaining wall ($$$) to grade it properly, add stairs, and a little more decking area...so that TRIPLED the estimate the pool builder gave us. My husband is NOT happy. On top of that, their paver guys are at least 2 weeks (if not 4 weeks) behind...leaving us in this stage until July???

So I'm curious...is that normal? Should I be demanding the pool builder take action a little sooner? Pool builder doesn't seem to mind if we use our guy or his guy...at this point we want to move forward! But he insists that his paver guy can do a better job, and that a retaining wall isn't necessary.

Thoughts from you experts???

As you know I have the same PB...and they are WAAYYYY behind and really don't care. We call and scream everyday at them....we've been passed around to several project managers (which in their case is a joke since they never even show up) and nothing seems to change...when they get to it they get to it. Example, when the decking crew came out they poured the concrete and said plaster could happen the next day. We called PB, nothing, 3 days later they call back and state we are now ready for plaster but it will be a couple of weeks. I was livid and yelled at them when the decking is scheduled, plaster should be scheduled for a day or so after, it's just common sense. I can say this, while the work that's been performed (by subs mind you) has been good, and the pool will likely be very nice, there is no way I could ever recommend these folks to anyone I like.

I will say this, if they use DaSilva Construction for the pavers...they are good guys, who a quick, clean and thorough. To save money I'm building a retaining wall or 2 myself and refacing an existing patio, but the lead (owner) of the decking company walked me through everything and gave me tips to make it look great and how/where to tie in..again nothing but good things to say about the decking folks. For my paver deck, we too have a pretty generous slope on the backside that I think needs a retaining wall....need is not right, I will add it for aesthetics but the way the can load the dirt and grade it, they a probably right in that the wall isn't needed....but maybe it will look better?

And yes, I got the 1000sqft from the PB and was told to negotiate directly for any other I needed....after some dancing we added what was needed to the tune of an additional 7K and that didn't include the wall or other patio....unfortunately they quote exactly as the PB quotes, no discounts...not even when you chat with them in Spanish :D

So, would I demand it be sooner...yes...will it work, probably not. Using your own guys, what does that do to the warranty?

BTW, our Pool was installed too low which meant I had to add an unexpected step between two decks....yeah those aren't cheap either and PB isn't paying for that step since he isn't doing the other patio...even though we clearly discussed elevations and such....like I said I would never recommend the PB to anyone I like.

Good luck...I've seen other work done by PB and they all look great, but everyone had the same story with getting the pool built...unfortunately friends who used them and expressed their issues really watered it down or I would have never gone with them....I think she wanted the free $500 in credit with the company.

Ugh, that is so frustrating! So guess who showed up here today? Their paver guy! He said the construction manager asked him to squeeze us in. (So I guess my phone call worked?!) He is going to do the estimate this week/next week and should be ready to start the week after. BUT, he's saying we don't need a retaining wall, just a "swale".

I think we would have gotten a lot better service if we started this process in Feb/Mar instead of Mar/April. They're just too busy right now. I will say that I went over the coping/tile with an eagle eye and that sub did a really good job!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Plop, great that he can come in to give an estimate. We started the process last November and signed end of feb. This monday the rough grading issue was resolved, and they would not plaster until the finish grade and actual fence is in place. Actually they would put you on schedule AFTER that is done, so that means another 2-3 weeks depending on how backed p the plaster guy is. our dig was april 2nd, so it took them 2 month to get deck ready. our fault, did not chose them for decking/fencing. so I don;t think starting the process early would have changed the experience.

Sorry for all your delays! The tile looks really nice though!

I agree with Casey, the tile does look great and glad you didn't settle. I also thought it was funny that you got your sun deck for your dog - that's why we got the tanning shelf, for ours. Lot's of egress opportunities for them to get out. Oh and by the way, we're from TX and our pool build is going like yours - SLOW :) - Good luck with the rest of your build - Ranger Bob's wife, Karen

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.