New Pool Build - Trouble Struck! Please help 2.1.14

My spa was done in 1989 so things likely have changed, but mine is 90 degree angle from seats to wall. If the bench is supposed to be centered in the main pool, then they should probably redo it. Its like my grandmother said years ago to a contractor that screwed up the bars he put on a basement apartment and he tried to blame her for it. She told him she does real estate, he does bars on windows so fix it.

Yaka: the columns were supposed to be symmetrical with the bench centered.

What is now frustrating is they are acting like that's how all spas are done and that they had previously communicated that to us. Frustrating that they are saying this. I'm not really sure what to do here. I'm still holding on to their check for gunite. Maybe drastic, but shouldn't they just scrap this all and start anew?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In your pool, the water level will be even with the height of the spill-over. Personally, I like to have my shoulders covered by water with the water level being at neck level when seated. Our spa has two different seat depths, so it also works with young kids or shorter people.

The cupped shape of your spa bench would be okay when using the spa by yourself, but would be awkward with other people in the spa. Laying back like it forces you to do, naturally kicks your feet up, which puts them in the crotch of the person across from you.. lol.

Yeah, I am not sure what is going to happen here. They said that it is standard to have the spa this way and that we should have known. This spa is not representative of any of the spas on their website, plan, our contract and doesn't even match the in person physical spa's we were shown. As for our column, they propose (without coming out to physically see the pool) that it needs to be jack hammered out and redone. They are not offering this sort of fix for the spa (at this juncture). I am concerned about having a pool that is pieced together and is not all part of the united structure.

I think they need to rip out the entire pool and spa and start over. They said twice now that this will not be an option. We are meeting at 6:30 in the morning to discuss and physically examine the pool/spa. Hopeful they look at it and just say scrap the entire job, redo it all. It is frustrating that the client is left with the impression that we are at fault for the spa shape for not communicating that we wanted a standard 90 degree angle spa. Saying a prayer that tomorrow doesn't become a nightmare. In the meantime, I am getting a skateboard and will be teaching the cat how to half-pipe.

Look at it from their point of view, scrapping it all would cost a fortune so I doubt that will happen, but they do need to make it right. They can probably just shave down the inside of the spa to make it more normal

Yeah, I am not sure what is going to happen here. They said that it is standard to have the spa this way and that we should have known. This spa is not representative of any of the spas on their website, plan, our contract and doesn't even match the in person physical spa's we were shown. As for our column, they propose (without coming out to physically see the pool) that it needs to be jack hammered out and redone. They are not offering this sort of fix for the spa (at this juncture). I am concerned about having a pool that is pieced together and is not all part of the united structure.

I think they need to rip out the entire pool and spa and start over. They said twice now that this will not be an option. We are meeting at 6:30 in the morning to discuss and physically examine the pool/spa. Hopeful they look at it and just say scrap the entire job, redo it all. It is frustrating that the client is left with the impression that we are at fault for the spa shape for not communicating that we wanted a standard 90 degree angle spa. Saying a prayer that tomorrow doesn't become a nightmare. In the meantime, I am getting a skateboard and will be teaching the cat how to half-pipe.

I am extremely hopeful that they can shave down the spa. The good news is the rebar does not extend into our guacamole bowl. Scratching my head as to what type of tool could shave this down. Hopeful that tool exists!

As for our column, all I can find online is someone who did a remodel on garden web. I think if they really have to cut it out and remove it, the builder is going to need to bond the new steel with the old, pin it, use an engineered epoxy along the patch. Is it too much to ask for a thicker rebar used on the patch and to have the repair shot at a higher psi?

I also think the gunite company needs to produce warranty documentation signed off on by both them and the builder stating that they believe this remedy is appropriate and is one and inclusive of the original warranty.

There definitely are issues with your pool, but I dont think either would require removal of the whole pool!

Both are fairly easy fixes, but I would personally be more concerned about corrosion of the reo in the column than anything else.

It looks to me like the columns are both equal distance from the conduit in the centre, the bench is just not long enough on the right (looking at the picture) side. I'd imagine they could take a bit off the left side, chip the right side back to reo and shoot a bit more onto it with more build. I think that would be a safer fix and leave the column as is.
As for the spa, the reo is set square inside all that concrete, so a jack hammer will make it square again and with a bit of patching it'll be fine for surfacing.
Definitely not bad enough to warrant demolition.

Just met with the contractors both with the pool and gunite team. They too saw they errors. They say it is a no problem type of fix and plan to fix it all tomorrow or Wednesday. They liked our description of the hot tub being shaped like a half pipe and teaching our cats how to skate board in it. Good morning everyone. Thanks for everyone's comments thusfar, it is great to be able to bounce conversation off others.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just met with the contractors both with the pool and gunite team. They too saw they errors. They say it is a no problem type of fix and plan to fix it all tomorrow or Wednesday. They liked our description of the hot tub being shaped like a half pipe and teaching our cats how to skate board in it. Good morning everyone. Thanks for everyone's comments thusfar, it is great to be able to bounce conversation off others.

See, it's all going to work out. Better videotape the skateboarding cats before they demo. :p

That spa looks terrible. I'd grab your 3D rendition and compare.

Also, the bench needs to be extended to center between the 2 columns.

Sounds like they are willing to fix things so that's good.

I'm surprised your builder was not present during the gunite to catch the errors.....

Mind me asking who your builder is?

JR Plastering is who our gunite company was. Our builder is Premier Pools and Spas. From what I can tell, PPAS uses a couple of companies in the Houston market. I think we just happened to be the one out of a hundred who got this sort of result. I am still scratching my head as to how it even happened. They came and made the repairs today and I think it may be all fine. (I can't really check it out fully until daylight). As for some positives, I received a call from the owner of the builder for the Houston PPAS owner and he wanted to make sure I was happy. That is comforting that the owner realizes a call to the customer may be in order. As for the cats skateboarding in the half-pipe, that could have very well paid for the pool itself.

Thanks for everyones continued support and commentary.

JR Plastering is who our gunite company was. Our builder is Premier Pools and Spas. From what I can tell, PPAS uses a couple of companies in the Houston market. I think we just happened to be the one out of a hundred who got this sort of result. I am still scratching my head as to how it even happened. They came and made the repairs today and I think it may be all fine. (I can't really check it out fully until daylight). As for some positives, I received a call from the owner of the builder for the Houston PPAS owner and he wanted to make sure I was happy. That is comforting that the owner realizes a call to the customer may be in order. As for the cats skateboarding in the half-pipe, that could have very well paid for the pool itself.

Thanks for everyones continued support and commentary.

I heard Premier was good so it's nice to see they took care of the situation. Poop happens, but I'm glad it all worked out.

We got gunite tomorrow...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.