New Pool Build - Porter Ranch, CA

Hi all - not a ton of news to report. We passed inspections and now we're waiting on bids from two gunite contractors. The good ones are pretty busy, apparently. In the meantime, the crew has been able to back fill the trenches (mostly) and they got some of the yard drains in while they were at it. They're also starting on some of the footings in the front yard landscape, so all is not lost while we're waiting. So, on to trying to pick out waterline tile and I thought I'd get your opinions. We're thinking of going with a light pebble finish, probably Pebble Sheen White Diamonds:

i-nj3pPC8-L.png

i-cJXcD8t-L.png

Although the lighter color won't retain as much heat, we really like the light, beachy, resort feeling. They have this color in one of the model homes in our community and it looks great.

For tile, so far we have several options (OK, we should have stacked them differently because the wide quartz will be above the tile, but you get the idea). First, a stone tile that is much more monochromatic:

i-SJrPv5m-L.jpg

We're not into a crazy amount of contrast but we like this gold-ish glass tile:
i-TKgXqMj-L.jpg

And this light blue glass tile.
i-FNzpzm4-L.jpg

Here's all three next to each other. The glass tiles are iridescent and they really change with the angle you look at them (look how different the blue tile on the right looks at this angle):
i-R2NC5FH-L.jpg

i-KfLg35h-L.jpg

i-FDcNV64-L.jpg

I welcome your opinions as well as anyone's thoughts on the costs, challenges of installation and maintenance of glass tile.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks, Brian. I appreciate it. I don't have a quote yet but that will be soon. The installation is a specialized skill, right? My PB/Consultant was talking about a membrane that is set before the tile to mitigate effects of expansion/contraction? I'll be paying direct to an installer so if he's not 100% accurate I won't necessarily be overpaying. I'm just not sure what to expect yet.

I would go with the gold or blue tiles. The other one is too much of the same, just my 2 cents. My tiles and stacked stone contrast my coping tile, and I think it really pops nicely. When the sun is shining on the gold tiles, it really is pretty.

It's been a while since I've posted since we were waiting for gunite. The hardscape crew was able to make lots of progress around the yard while we waited. Although a little out of order, they're nearly as done as they can be in the front yard for now. They also started working on the BBQ/Counter island and the P/E wall in the back. We scored on 9 really mature palm trees that are now planted and look amazing! Next is watering the gunite for two weeks and then coping so that we can get started on the travertine deck. Here's some progress pictures.

Big truck, tight cul-de-sac, patient neighbors!
i-JQ7SLzr-M.jpg

This guy shooting in the orange jumpsuit is 72 years old!
i-kVWC8sJ-M.jpg

Out our bedroom window:
i-xKk4mFT-M.png

Big spa!
i-tnm39rm-M.jpg

P/E pad:
i-zbgXCHL-M.jpg

Lots of extra room for storage
i-rHpkdPQ-M.jpg

We relocated the BBQ from the original plan. It's now up to the left of the pool. We made a counter island that is detached from the BBQ:
i-7gNktNf-M.jpg

And the BBQ against the back wall:
i-zqWrkpj-M.jpg

The view from the BBQ. Much better than staring at the block wall before:
i-XfpqCxW-M.jpg

THIS is why we're doing this. Can't wait to be able to enjoy it.
i-fcjDJPX-M.jpg

I'm curious about something, if anyone can help. My pool will be ~38,000 gallons. That's really close to the max size of the Hayward SWG. I've heard that you want to oversize the SWG but, in my case, do I have any options? Can you put two SWGs in parallel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Its very common to overestimate gallonage because its so difficult to get accurate measurements. You could stand to have a larger SWG but if yours have already been purchsed then ride it out until it dies and then look at going bigger.

Thanks, Brian. I looked at the chart and it shows 17.2 hours of runtime - in the red zone. If the recommendation is to size a cell to double the volume, I guess my only option is 2 cells for my application? The pool is going to get a lot of west-facing afternoon sun. Would you advise that I look into 2 cells now?

It's been a while so I figured it's time for an update. We've made a ton of progress! The travertine coping is nearly complete. For the coping, we decided to go with the same tiles as the decking, so they're 1 1/4" square edge. The straight tiles are 16" x 24" and they simply cut those in half and then cut them to fit the front radius. The radius at the spa is almost done and by then the back radius should go pretty quickly. Lots of detail work on this bad boy! I'm hoping the paving contractor will install the deck in another week or so. First, the hardscape crew needs to finish forming the stairs and the raised patio areas. I'm in a rush to get water in the pool so that I can close on a cash-out refi of our house (long story on that one). So, as soon as the deck, coping, stacked stone and waterline tile is done we'll probably get the front fence/gates up so we can pass inspection. P/E was set today but I haven't been home yet to see. I'm hoping to be swimming by Labor Day and then we'll finish the landscaping and front yard around it the pool. It's not the conventional approach but it is what it is.

Pics!

Here's the most recent overview:

i-df3LXVm-M.png

i-kFDfFrB-M.jpg

i-jBttn8M-M.jpg

i-dvLG4mV-M.jpg

i-wt2Vk3G-M.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.