New Pool Build Plaster Questions - (Updated with photos / stain issue)

aumfc

Apr 16, 2023
Pelham, AL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi, I'm in the process of filling my new pool. It's a large gunite pool holding roughly 35,000 gallons. I'm on well water and my well only produces 4-5 gallons per minute. The pool was plastered (plain white with small specs of blue quartz) a week ago (4/10), and I've got another 36 hours or so before it's full.

The pool builder told me to wet the entire surface twice a day, but I've been doing it 4 times a day. I assume the plaster is curing unevenly based on the multiple dark and light areas.

Will it eventually all even out such that the plaster is all white?

Will there be any long-term effects of being unable to fill the entire pool in a couple of days?

Realistically, based on your experience, when will I most likely have to re-plaster?

Thanks!

HI and welcome to TFP! I am sorry to be meeting this way though.

The flow of water should not be stopped once it is started. If the flow is stopped then a ring can form on the new plaster that is almost impossible to get off. When you were wetting the entire surface was water being put in the pool to fill it up? I do worry the wetting of the plaster is what caused the uneven curing. I hope that once the equipment is started up and you can brush the pool it will even out a bit.

If you maintain the proper levels in your pool your plaster can last a good, long time as in many years. Here is link to help you learn how we balance our pool water: TFPC for Beginners

Here is a link to show the test kit we like and use: Test Kits Compared

Take and share a pic so we can see what you are working with.

Thanks for the reply. I woke up this morning to a new problem. I'm not sure what caused this stain. The water from the well comes out at 6.5pH and 3ppm iron with a little hardness to it. It's running through a pH neutralizer to raise the pH, then through a softner that also filters out the iron.

Any ideas how to remove this stain? The plaster is just today 1 week old.

Thanks.

Everything should be fine, and that the color variation should even out within a few weeks. However, it would help to see some photos of the current discoloration variations and of the stain that you just mentioned has showed up this morning.
It would also help to know what the alkalinity and calcium hardness is of the well water and of the current pool water.
Pool plaster generally will last about 20 years.

This was a few days ago. You can see the splotchiness through the water on the bottom. You can also see where I tried to keep areas wet under the cabo shelf / tanning ledge area, and on the first step. I guess that was a mistake that lead to the stain, but there were no stains or anything for 6 days straight. Now on what should have been the last day, that happens. So upset with this situation.

IMG_6951.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.