New pool build in San Tan, AZ

You want to keep the water velocity below 6 ft/sec on the suction and below 8 ft/sec on the pressure side of the pump.[7]

Pipe Size6 ft/sec8 ft/sec
1.5"38 GPM51 GPM
2"63 GPM84 GPM
2.590 GPM119 GPM
3.0"138 GPM184 GPM
4.0"235 GPM312 GPM

1656255010359-png.428569

1656255039155-png.428570

Make sure that the pipe is sized correctly.

Spa jet pumps need big pipe.

Sweep 90s are nice, but not critical if the pipe is sized correctly.
Thanks! This stuff I understand from having a saltwater reef tank for years and maximizing flow rates at head pressure!

But the specifics about pools like this are all new to me. There’s a ton of great info on here and I appreciate all the help.

Reactions: JamesW
Updated specs and plan with a few landscaping and design changes. We're feeling pretty good about the overall design at this point. Specs and equipment list below. Not much changed there. We left the 5 relays for now, but the 8 is on our radar.

Pool Size 25 x 17
Pool Gallons 9775
Spa Size 10 x 4.5
Spa Gallons 843
18" Sit and Spin Spa with spillway
18" Tall Waterfall Sheer Decent
Baja Shelf 7 x 17
2 Surface Skimmers + 2 Infloor Drains

PebbleTec Aqua Blue
AutoFill Paramount Paralevel
Main Pump Pentair - Intelliflo3 VSF
Spa Pump 3HP VSF intelliflo Spa Booster Pump
Filter Pentair - 420s.f. Cartridge Filter
Heater Pentair - 400K BTU Heater w/ bypass
SWG Pentair IC-40 Salt Chlorinator
Spa Blower 1 HP - Silencer Air Blower
Automation Pentair - Intellicenter i5PS
Lighting 2 x Intellibrite Architectural

Travertine Coping Pool 72 lf
Travertine Coping Spa 24 lf
Travertine Deck 525 sq/ft
Slate Patio 272 sq/ft

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    366.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Got the first engineering plans back this morning. I was hoping the overall pool depth would have been deeper. I am going to see if we can do more on that last step to get it lower than 3'. Is it possible to just have it drop off more or would we need to add a 4th step if it got significantly deeper?

They also have the Intellibrite light along the spa face. I think their intent was it would provide enough light in this position to give some light to the baja shelf. I'm sure most on here would recommend 3 microbrites (with one on the shelf), but is this an option given the pool is not that big? Our house is toward the bottom of this drawing. Will the light be shining towards us too much?

The plumbing drawing says right on it this isn't the actual plumbing but I'm still going to confirm it does have a proper bypass for the heater. And as a newbie I'm kind of confused on the spa pump. It is a totally different pump right? Or is it just a booster add on for the Intelliflo3 VSF?

1699283211993.png
1699283239935.png

1699283276398.png

3' in the shallow end is not deep enough. Consider 3.5 feet minimum (water depth, NOT from top of deck to pool bottom).

Be sure they install a proper heater bypass. This will allow running the pump at a lower rpm while providing the same flow when not using the heater.

The SWG should be right after the heater bypass check valve. The Intellicenter can be programmed to alter the SWG output percentage when in spa mode. All return lines to the pool/spa should be after the SWG.

The main drain and skimmer should have separate lines plumbed all the way back to the equipment pad - lines should be 'home run' to the pad.

Consider the i8PS instead of the i5PS. This will allow for adding additional valve actuators to non-automated valves, among other things.

Any suggestions on how to make the shallow end deeper? Is it fine to have a drop off or do I need to add another step?

Like I said and it shows that is not the actual plumbing layout but I do plan to confirm all those elements before approving these in any way. Thanks for the heads up on the home runs for the drains. I’ll confirm that as well.

I was hoping to see a more detailed electrical layout. I mentioned I did want both the spillway and the sheer decent to be controlled by valves and we added additional actuators to the quote. But I have:
Lights
Spa pump
Heater
Spillway
Sheer decent
Am I missing anything other than operating the lights separately if we wanted? Future proof for chiller?

Most probably another step.

Future proofing is good.
You may want to add an equipment pad light as well - which can be switched on/off remotely thru the Intellicenter.
Possibly put an actuator on the cleaner valve so you can choose to skim or clean and skim at the same time. Cleaner may clean pool in a few hours, but pump runs for 8-10 hours per day (or 24/7 like mine).

I'd be interested in a detailed plumbing layout as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.