New Pool Build in Miami

Thanks, kimkats and great idea on taking a photo of everything labelled.

@cchopkins - I'm using the XL whale wall brush. I think it is the pole that makes the difference. I bought a pole that is heavy! I didn't realize this until now. My neighbor's pole is much lighter than mine.

It does require more than strength than I expected. After the second day, my arms and shoulders were tired! The drag of the tail makes it easy for the walls but more effort for the floor.

Thanks, Northrider; it's a great feeling, isn't it?! The kids are in the pool everyday, all day. Friends over from morning 'til night! I'm out there anyway brushing and "overseeing." I'm so grateful they have at least a month before school starts to live in the pool.

I have to tell you that the white plaster is my fav! It looks stunning!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks everyone!!

We returned from vacation this week and I thought I would give an update!

Since the plaster was completed a week before vacation, I originally contracted with PB's recommended pool service. I was home the first week of service and observed the first two service visits. I was not happy with what I saw. On the second visit, they didn't even test the water or add any chemicals! They hardly brushed! They were here for maybe 15 minutes.

About two hours after they left, I tested the water with my trusty TFT100 kit and sure enough, pH was super high and absolutely no chlorine in pool. I took a water sample to local pool suppy shop and their results matched mine.

I then scrambled to find someone who would properly look after the pool while I was away. The search was completely stressful, but completely worth it! I found someone to come and do exactly what I wanted.

When we came home, this is what the pool looked like. Awesome!!!!
20140802_154915.jpg~320x480

Also, thought I would give an update on the pool in general.

The open spa is wonderful. Originally, I envisioned adults hanging out and relaxing in it. It's used for that, yes, but I did not anticipate how much the kids would use this space as part of their pool play. The open spa is a war bunker for water gun fights, a secret hideaway cave, a house, a "base" for various games, etc.
20140802_155046.jpg~320x480

The handholds that I complained about and did not like are very useful. My youngest had a friend over and they used them a lot! The imagination of kids is amazing to me. They allow "Tarzan" to swing through the forest from tree to tree, to provide a place to keep dive toys while you get the other ones, and to just hang on to while you're deciding which way to go.
20140802_200507.jpg~320x480

If I had to do it again, I would do something different with the planters. Walking around the pool, the back corner is easy to bump into it and it's pretty sharp on that edge! Also, kids want to hop over them rather than go around and that makes me nervous. Also, I need to cover the dirt with large river rocks or something to keep the dirt in the planter and not in the pool!

For the raised wall, I should have paid more attention to the width of the steps. The first step up should have been 12 inches deep, but somehow ended up only 6 inches. It's another place that makes me nervous as kids have to carefully step on that step, but mostly they skip over it.

Overall, we are loving the pool and anyone who has read this far of my thread, thank you!! The end result is worth the headache and stress!!! :swim: :cheers:

Congratulations! You are making me very jealous! The open seating area is very nice, and definitively agree with what you said about kids' imaginations. They can still have fun and will definitively find things to play and play with if you just take away their electronics!

I'm glad to see how great the lounging area looks and thanks for the tips on the steps - my husband and I were just talking about the two steps into the pavilion. I hope you enjoyed your vacation! and now you can enjoy your pool.... - Karen

So true, cchopkins! I'm happy that our pool has higher status than the electronic entertainment to our kids! Hopefully, yours will finish up soon!

Karen, I'm glad you'll have the chance to consider the steps into your pavilion. With so many details, it's hard to keep track of every little thing.

I'm still trying to understand how my pool equipment was set up and it's frustrating that I did not consider its operation more carefully in the design phase! :!:

Thanks Northrider and Lisa! It's great to see them in the pool. I love it.

I'm curious -- could either of you post a picture of your pool pump/filter timer? I have finally realized that my timer only switches between the high and low speeds, but never actually turns the pump off! I'm told this kind of timer is required by code. I have a hard time believing code would prevent an on/off timer from being installed. Is this the same situation for you?

Would you believe I went 3 weeks with the pump running continuously? I'm afraid of what my electrical bill will be!

I've already contacted PB, but it bothers me that this was installed in the first place. No less, I have air bubbles coming out of one of my returns! :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.