New Pool Build Houston area

I need some advice. The pool has been filled for almost two weeks. The startup guy has been out 3 times but I haven't been home when he was putting any chemicals in. The pool is clear and the water looks very pretty. However, there have been a few white spots showing up randomly every few days. They don't go away. I'm attaching a picture. they are small but noticible by the return. He is sanitizing with pucks until we can put the salt in. The pucks are set at 2 on the chlorinator (that we didn't want it but they insisted on putting it in) Here are the pool readings from today.

FC: 0
CC: 1 (I think)
TC: 1
CH: 375
TA: 150
PH: off the chart

Any idea what the white spots are and how concerned should I be with basically no chlorine and PH that's so high?

image.jpg

First thing first...........talk to your PB as he holds the warranty card.

Next look back on page 4 at post 64. I posted quite a few links that show you the way we do pools here at TFP. Print the recommended levels out as well as the plaster start up page.

Let us know what your PB says. We can go from there.

:kim: Kim

First thing first...........talk to your PB as he holds the warranty card.

Next look back on page 4 at post 64. I posted quite a few links that show you the way we do pools here at TFP. Print the recommended levels out as well as the plaster start up page.

Let us know what your PB says. We can go from there.

:kim: Kim
Kim,

i have talked to the pool builder a couple of times (well, him and his construction manager). I have read all the TFP info you snt me, thank you for that, which is why I'm asking. The ph has been above 7.8 since the beginning and I have asked the pool builder about it. I haven't wanted to fix it myself and void the warranty. The builder told me he would have the plaster company look at the white spots, but they haven't been out yet.

its been difficult to get a hold of the start up guy. He has come by when I'm at work and calling him hasn't resulted in a call back. It's starting to concern me, because of the ph. At the beginning, the start up guy told me he couldn't put a lot of chlorine in the pool and he also told me salt in 14 days. I told him the instructions they sent me said 28 days. And he said ok to that.

So, what should my next step be?

What kind of plaster do you have again?

I'd say the next step is to look up the start-up instructions that are direct from the manufacturer. I can't imagine them voiding your warranty if you are following manufacturer instructions and they are not. Tell them that you have a good test kit and are knowledgeable. They may give you permission to add what is needed like mine did.

I'm not one of the experts but my biggest concern for you right now (from personal experience and advice I was given on here) is to get chlorine in that pool - now. If I were you, I'd go dump in a gallon of liquid bleach and turn on my filters. You don't want an algae breakout. 0 FC and 1 CC is really bad. You can also add a little acid to lower your pH. Follow Pool Math. Honestly, your PB need never know if they aren't getting their butts out there and caring for it properly.

I flat out refused to let my PB use tabs. He couldn't void my warranty because I told him to find another way. I would test the water and text him results and ask permission to add the chemicals (according to Pool Math).

It doesn't hurt to ask. Worst thing he can say is No.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be nervous calling the plaster company though because of the poor startup. Maybe just get permission from PB to take over the chemicals if you text him all test results and let him approve all chemical additions?

I would be nervous calling the plaster company though because of the poor startup. Maybe just get permission from PB to take over the chemicals if you text him all test results and let him approve all chemical additions?

i will do that. For some reason I misunderstood and thought you got permission from the plaster people. It seems to me the pool builder is letting the start up guy determine what happens with the chemistry. I didn't intervene sooner because I didn't want to void the PB warranty. I will get ion top of it tomorrow. The water actually looks pretty good. The pumps have never been off, which seems odd to me. It' seems like it's been enough time to get them on a schedule.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pumps running 24/7 is probably the only reason you haven't already started having an algae issue with an FC of 0. It's not their electric bill so...

I would definitely make PB fire the startup guy for your pool and give you permission to start taking care of it. It's in his best interests, especially if that is how the startup guy has done it. You need to get some chlorine in there ASAP though. Your TA is also high. You'll be able to lower that with MA same as you do the pH. It's pretty easy once you get the hang of the testing. Pool Math is your friend!!

The pumps running 24/7 is probably the only reason you haven't already started having an algae issue with an FC of 0. It's not their electric bill so...

I would definitely make PB fire the startup guy for your pool and give you permission to start taking care of it. It's in his best interests, especially if that is how the startup guy has done it. You need to get some chlorine in there ASAP though. Your TA is also high. You'll be able to lower that with MA same as you do the pH. It's pretty easy once you get the hang of the testing. Pool Math is your friend!!

thanks so much! It's been a pretty smooth build so I think I was hoping the whole process should be good.....

thanks so much! It's been a pretty smooth build so I think I was hoping the whole process should be good.....

Lol. Well, then I'd say you were due! You need at least some kind of story to relay and keep it interesting when sharing about your pool build. Ha! J/K

It stinks the PB's don't know more about the chemistry and can mess up the start-ups so bad as a result. It seems most are like that. I'm totally OCD and micromanaged my PB (his son did the chemistry) when it came to the testing and chemical additions. Even making him give me his test results (text) so I could keep a log of all them for the warranty. I'm quite certain he thinks I'm a total PITA. Shrug. I'm absolutely okay with that. My pool water and test results are pretty beautiful and TFP perfect these days. I'm also having to micromanage them less and less. Excited for the point where I can start testing just once or twice a week. With the SWG I think that time is coming soon!

TM stepped up and said what I would have.........THANKS!

You are on the right track. Just think of the poor people who have not found TFP :( They have no idea and their plaster will not last as long as yours in the long run.

:kim:

My startup guy came out on Monday and started up all of the equipment, added some CH up and stabilizer, and told me he was taking a water sample and someone at the company would email with what else needed to be added. I ran the filter for 24 hours and haven't heard from them.

I added muriatic acid to get the ph under control and added some chlorine to get that up into the right range. I figured it was doing more harm than good sitting there without any chemicals and the ph off the charts.

I talked to the start up guy this morning (he was here bright and early to add some acid!). He is coming back tomorrow to check it. Also spoke to the plaster people. He said the white spots are from the kind of cement material they use around the fittings that end up in the plaster and then become exposed during the curing process. He is sending a guy out in a few days to pick them out and fix them. Good to know its not scale. He also told me to keep the ph low and I was free to add acid as necessary and chlorine and cya. The pool builder told me the same, so I'm going to get everything under control in the next couple of days. The plaster guy told me salt was more difficult to manage than chlorine. Funny. I have multiple friends with salt pools who would never go back to chlorinating with chlorine. :)

The ph right now is at 7.2. Still no chlorine showing but the plaster guy and pool builder told me high ph will result in not showing the correct chlorine levels. Is that the general consensus here too? Start up guy said TA was 120 this morning. I tested it at 150 but will do it again in a bit - maybe I did it wrong.

Thanks Kim and TW for your help!

LOL Oh my! They got it backwards!!!

High FC (over 10) messes up the PH test :rolleyes: Well at least they can build a pretty pool!

You can work on the TA at a later date. We need to get the PH and FC settled for a couple of days. As you keep pushing down the PH the TA will slowly lower as well.

LOL Oh my! They got it backwards!!!

High FC (over 10) messes up the PH test :rolleyes: Well at least they can build a pretty pool!

You can work on the TA at a later date. We need to get the PH and FC settled for a couple of days. As you keep pushing down the PH the TA will slowly lower as well.

That's what I thought I read here. It's been busy here today and I haven't had time to reread. So funny. Pool builder did tell me I was ahead of most people in understanding the chemistry.

Pool math- Says 113 oz of 6% bleach. Does that look right? I'm headed to the store in a bit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.