New Pool Build because of Big Green Egg - FINAL INSPECTION

Re: New Pool Build in Central Texas because of Big Green Egg

Only 2 BGE's shessh i thought you were going all out.... :cool:

Is that a giant palm tree on the left side of the picture of the BEAUTIFUL CLEAN fence?

Do you already own BGE's, or have any experience with them?

Has the pool builder given you an estimated time of completion?

Edit: Forgot the thread title....obviously you already have a BGE, so are you going with a Large and Small, or and Extra large and large?

Only 2 BGE's shessh i thought you were going all out....

Believe it or not I thought about three but the wife put an end to that thinking! I already have a large and I am adding a medium......

Is that a giant palm tree on the left side of the picture of the BEAUTIFUL CLEAN fence?

Yep, my neighbors spent an absolute fortune bringing in two large Palm Trees to go around their pool, over 20K. One died and the other one isn't doing to good!

Do you already own BGE's, or have any experience with them?

I already have one and I am getting pretty good at it. It was a learning curve but now I make some of the best ribs, briskets, pork loins and steaks according to our friends and my family. They are a lot of fun!

Has the pool builder given you an estimated time of completion?

No, but I am happy, they are now out every day working their butts off!

Edit: Forgot the thread title....obviously you already have a BGE, so are you going with a Large and Small, or and Extra large and large?

Friday they started framing my deck. Worked all day and said they would be back Monday. Team was a bunch of great guys that were some of the hardest workers I have ever seen.

Didn't expect anybody over the weekend which was good, it was graduation weekend and we had enough going on. Sunday morning my wife exclaims, they are working out there today. I looked out there confused because really nothing more can be done until the deck is complete. We see three guys from the pool company milling about in the back yard looking at our stone that hadn't been used yet. We still need it for the top of the fire pit, our outdoor kitchen, stone chair around the fire pit, and our retaining wall around the back of the pool.

Remember, we went to the stone yard in February to pick out all of our pallets of stone so everything would match perfectly.

Mystified, we watched in anticipation on what they were going to work on. I knew they weren't the deck crew and didn't see the masons with them either. They were the guys who seemed to do all the general work such as the landscaping, they helped on the dig, etc so I knew who they were. Well, lo and behold, they each picked up three stones and walked around to the front of the house. My wife and I scrambled to look out the front window to try to uncover this mystery. This was like 8:00 in the morning. We then had the pleasure of watching all three of them load the stone in their truck and climb in the cab to drive away!

I hurried out there and stopped them and asked them what was going on. All they could mutter was they were working at another site, ran out of materials and their boss told them to come to my house to get some stone! I actually couldn't stop laughing for 5 minutes......so much for the 2 hours we spent at the stone yard picking everything out.

On a more positive note, it took 5 dump trucks of fill that the guys had to manually move to my backyard but my deck is framed and ready to be poured on Friday. We are thrilled how it is coming out.

Attachments

• IMG_1868.JPG
    IMG_1868.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 640
  • IMG_1869.JPG
    IMG_1869.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 639
  • IMG_1873.JPG
    IMG_1873.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 640

harleysilo said:
Glad you left the tree, hope it adapts to the reduced water via all the new concrete.

That tree has survived four years of drought. We are working on an irrigation plan for it and in fact it will probably end up with a bit more water than it currently has been getting. We also have a drain at the base of it so it doesn't drown in a downpour and that circle around it fills up with water. We are redoing all of the irrigation lines in the backyard and I am strategically trying to place them where the roots of that tree can access the water provided.

Our original plan was to take the tree down and put up a covered patio. However we felt a bit guilty doing that to a wonderful tree...(my wife spent a summer in Belize saving the rainforest by chaining herself to a tree to prevent farmers from cutting the trees down there). I kept kidding her about the irony in all that....I also have to admit when I got the prices to put a covered patio over that area and realized it would be cheaper to keep the tree that covered the entire area we wanted covered anyway that helped sway us as well!

denaw said:
Wow..I think I am almost as excited as you are skylar18!! :party: I love the different levels...soo exciting!!!
Keeep us posted!
Dena

Thanks Dena! We are excited as well...today was the first day where we could see the end in site and all of our design work and vision seems to be coming together and we love how it is turning out!

I am still jealous that you are swimming and we are still a few weeks away but am thrilled for you guys. I love how your pool ties in so well with your channel behind you!

My PB told me that today would be an inspection day followed by the deck pour tomorrow! I thought nothing could stop us now. They actually said that this inspection is very simple, they just check to make sure the deck is grounded in 4 places which it is.

I was in my backyard when the inspector showed up. Awesome, everything is going to plan.

He called me over and said the deck looks great, however when did they pour the gunite? I said like 6 or 7 weeks ago with a sinking feeling in my stomach. He shook his head and said, they never got your electrical inspected to verify that the pool was grounded before they poured the gunite......

For what seems like the 100th time during this build I asked the question..."What does that mean?"

He shook his head, said it wasn't good, got in his truck and drove away!

Ohhh My Goodness Sakes!..skylar18...I am Soo (angry) Sorry for you right now!!!... :cry:
I swear I am feeling your devastation!!!....What a dummy!! :hammer:
What does the PB say he is going to do now????
Please....keep us posted!
I swear I want this to be so easy for you until the end!!!...
Not sure I should post this...But..I will anyway...I am sooo soo praying your build will continue without any more disruptions!! :?

Dena

please don't try to trick the language filter. MITS

Thanks Dena,

Don't know what is happening.....Our deck pour was supposed to start at 8 this morning and I am assuming it was cancelled as no one is here. Of course I have to assume because my PB hasn't called me tell me what is going on and how they are going to resolve this. I guess he doesn't want me to yell at him about this latest round of incompetence.

Yea, that will make things better, ignore me!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Here is the latest.....

When the inspector left Thursday morning the only other thing he said is that he would be in touch with my builder. He has not called yet. In addition my builder and the electrician have called and paged him multiple times. Nothing. He didn't fail my deck inspection but he didn't pass it either. So I am officially in purgatory waiting for the inspector to communicate with my builder and explain what steps are needed to resolve the missed inspection that was supposed to take place before the gunite pour.

I had taken pictures of the pool rebar and several show the bonding wire going around the frame and of course the wire also going to where the equipment would be and I am hoping that will be good enough to verify it was done. However, the way this has gone, I have visions of them forcing us to remove some coping and gunite just because they feel like making us do that.

I'm trying to keep a sense of humor but it is getting hard.

Need some help and/or advice......

Well today my PB contacted us and said that the inspector is insisting that they remove some of the gunite from outside the pool so he can verify that there is a bonding wire that is connected to the rebar and it goes to where the equipment will be. (It doesn't seem to matter that I had a picture of that already from before the gunite pour that show that very thing. The city is insisting that we take this step.

My PB said they would then just patch up the gunite as good as new and it would be no problem. Won't that affect the integrity of the pool, and won't that make it more likely to crack farther down the road?

Am I being too sensitive or do I have a reason to worry? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank You!

No, it won't affect the integrity at all, its on the bond beam (top of the shell)...it will be fine...that's bs the city won't accept your picture! What a freakin hassle! Your PB shud have known better though....then again, you have one heck of a pain in the azz city inspector!

I feel a little better now. There is an area of my gunite that is not covered by coping because that is where the jumping boulders will go. They chipped out a small area and connected a new clamp and bonding wire. I am pretty sure I have the most grounded pool in Texas now.....

Inspector came by and passed it all!

PB called and said that my deck pour is scheduled for Monday. This little snafu will end up costing us a week and a half or so.....

Attachments

• IMG_1876.JPG
    IMG_1876.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 446
  • IMG_1877.JPG
    IMG_1877.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 447

Wow thats crazy, I deal with city inspectors for a living doing commercial construction and they accept pictures for far more important structural issues then this. He has a hard on for making your build as rocky as possible. Good luck

Yesterday when the inspector came my wife went out to talk to him and offer him a Gatorade. He said he is a health food nut and declined. Our son is a health food nut as well and we ended up talking to him for 15 minutes or so. He took one of my son's health drinks. He was a really nice guy.

Our pool project was a beehive of activity today. Some more electrical work was done and the masons came to finish the fire pit and pour the equipment pad. My wife was thrilled with how it came out which means I am thrilled as well. I think we are going to lose only 3-4 days with the missed inspection, not the week and a half that I thought.

Attachments

• IMG_1878.JPG
    IMG_1878.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 402
  • IMG_1879.JPG
    IMG_1879.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 404

It coming a long, a little slower than you like, but it will most likely pick up now. I know the bonding issue was a pain, but I would be on the inspectors side. I want to know my pool is grounded properly. It's one thing to have pipes leak, structural failures but a totally different issue with an electrical hazard.

harleysilo said:
Love that the spa spillover is covered, so the seating area on the ledge of the spa is uniform all around.

That is actually the fire pit that is integrated into the pool. There will be stone seating around the other side. We really like how that came out.

10 minutes after the guys left after smoothing over the concrete pad for the equipment we went out to look at it again. Noticed that our cat had walked right across it! We were so worried about our dogs that we forgot all about the cat who is never over by that side of the house. I guess you can say that there is nothing more curious than a cat. We now have a bunch of cat footprints in the pad. Pretty funny.... we thought about smoothing them out but actually thought who cares about the pad, we will have great memories of him when he is long gone and we are doing something with the equipment it will bring up memories of him.

It also taught us a lesson and we will be much more vigilant when they pour the deck which is Monday.

Today the equipment arrived and they started setting it up. Looks like a very clean install, I am pleased.....

Attachments

• IMG_1881.JPG
    IMG_1881.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_1880.JPG
    IMG_1880.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_1883.JPG
    IMG_1883.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 332

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.