New Pool Build because of Big Green Egg - FINAL INSPECTION

Re: New Pool Build in Central Texas because of Big Green Egg

Wow, you could almost plaster the rock and call it good. ( no plumbing of course).
Your cat is huge! I thought my sons cat was big(30lbs) but he looks small compared to your lion. Bet it's a blast to wrestle with.

davelinde said:
I consider our permit office the department of commerce prevention here. Our PB woefully told us he had to take 3 trips to get the permits and waited most of the day each time. At least in Texas they kick you out of line at 11, in FL they close the doors at 4:55pm no matter how long you've been there. And don't even ask about names called while feeding parking meters and contradictory requirements, and...

Then, we failed twice for bogus stuff and each failure carries a $37 re-inspection fee which can be paid in person (parking meters) or by FAX! (who has a fax?). And the second one we finally paid despite EVERYONE agreeing it was their fault, not ours, but no one would agree to reverse it (or even admit they COULD reverse it), no matter how many times we won the argument that there was no way for anyone to know... oh, I'm discouraged now - I always fantasized that Texas was better and Florida was only a mess because we all brought our dysfunction down with us from the Northeast.

Hey, my dysfunctional parents from New York moved to Florida! I know exactly what you mean...I once flew my parents from Miami to here and got a call from the tsa in Dallas because of my dads meltdown during their layover. But that is a story for a completely different forum!

That is the frustrating thing about the permitting process here, they complain about being under staffed and overworked, but then they make it so they have to review each permit multiple times for crazy reasons. I appreciate that they are trying to protect us, but it sure is frustrating.

jumpinjackieflash said:
davelinde said:
Your build story is great! Reminds me of ours, but without the smoker. Maybe I need a smoker?

Our pool ended up showing up after we decided we needed a porch and hot tub and before we finished building the porch. We are done now and could not be happier. After having my wife do all the permit applications for the porch she decided we would pay someone else to do that for us.

I consider our permit office the department of commerce prevention here. Our PB woefully told us he had to take 3 trips to get the permits and waited most of the day each time. At least in Texas they kick you out of line at 11, in FL they close the doors at 4:55pm no matter how long you've been there. And don't even ask about names called while feeding parking meters and contradictory requirements, and...

Then, we failed twice for bogus stuff and each failure carries a $37 re-inspection fee which can be paid in person (parking meters) or by FAX! (who has a fax?). And the second one we finally paid despite EVERYONE agreeing it was their fault, not ours, but no one would agree to reverse it (or even admit they COULD reverse it), no matter how many times we won the argument that there was no way for anyone to know... oh, I'm discouraged now - I always fantasized that Texas was better and Florida was only a mess because we all brought our dysfunction down with us from the Northeast.

But I digress... it looks like a really nice pool - can't wait to see it come together.

Texas is better, if we get too annoyed we just shoot the permit agent. :mrgreen:

Just kidding, of course we don't!

I thought if you got annoyed with the inspectors you sent them east, to Florida :lol:

For those of you who have told me that I would need to keep my sense of humor during this build was entirely accurate.....I haven't posted since the gunite phase because quite honestly nothing has really happened. What has happened just makes you shake your head and laugh.

I have hardly any access to my backyard and my neighbor agreed to let me remove the fence between our yards to increase the width of the access. They have been great. I paid extra to redo all the landscaping in their yard that gets damaged such as their irrigation system, any trees or shrubs that get destroyed, and redo their sod. The estimate of the time the fence would be down was 2 weeks. Of course you all know how long just my dig took, so needless to say they are way behind. After the Gunite Pour, my PB told me that as soon as we could get my pallets of stone in the backyard they could put the fence back up. They didn't want to touch the pool for a few days, but they could drop off the stone and put up the fence during that time.

Gunite was last Thursday. We had picked out our stone in February, had the pallets moved to an area of the stoneyard where it patiently was waiting to be delivered to our house, which is 3 miles away!

Of course a week went by with nothing, no delivery of stone, no fence work done, neighbors getting upset, dogs running away, the usual.

On Wednesday the masons arrived. Hooray! They told us the stone was being delivered any minute and then they would start working. We went to work, came home and nothing had been done. Masons had left us a message saying it was still supposed to arrive sometime today but they were leaving. It never arrived. We called the stonyard and they told us it would be delivered first thing Thursday morning. OK. We went to work on Thursday.

Came home Thursday night and all of the stone had been delivered. It was nicely delivered in a neat orderly fashion right in the middle of our front yard! No masons were anywhere to be found, and of course no fence work was done and my neighbor waiting for me asking me why did they have to keep the fence down this long if there is where they were going to put the stone?

For the first time ever I called my PB and unloaded on him.....He kept saying incredulously, they put it in the front yard? He didn't believe me. I told him I wanted the stone moved to where pool was being built and the fence up immediately. They have spent the last day and half complying with that. My fence should be up sometime today.

We did have the tile installed yesterday. We actually were really pleased with the color, and how it matches the stone. We were pretty lucky going to the stoneyard in February because we were able to pick out the exact pallets of stone we wanted, verifying that all the pallets shading matched. We were able to pick pallets that came from the exact same stone dig. We were also able to get a shade that was the exact same color of the brick on our house so we are very pleased how colorwise this is all coming together.

I am including a picture of all the pallets of stone....Imagine how this must of looked all placed in my small front yard!

Attachments

• IMG_1756.JPG
    IMG_1756.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 474
  • IMG_1757.JPG
    IMG_1757.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 475
  • IMG_1758.JPG
    IMG_1758.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 472

We had 15 pallet of paver delivered and the paver guy warned us that unless we were specific with the driver they might go anywhere... he's had them delivered and stacked ON the driveway he was supposed to pave. We were home, but the plumber had open trenches and also warned us that if the staged pavers too close to his trenches he'd have trouble backfilling. Happily the plumber and paver guy were friends so I told them to work it out. The plumber was the one who was on site when the pavers arrived and told the driver where to put them... :) when the paver guy saw where they were staged all he could say was "really? over there?". Then again, that's why they hire day labor I guess.

On the loading instructions it specifically said put in backyard! I felt a little bad for my pb. What more could he have done just short of being there however I needed to scream at someone!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Fence is up....Stone work has started. Actually had guys work three days in a row (not counting Sunday). First time that has happened. Hope the momentum continues.

Attachments

• IMG_1760.JPG
    IMG_1760.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 413
  • IMG_1761.JPG
    IMG_1761.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 415
  • IMG_1762.JPG
    IMG_1762.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 415

denaw said:
This has been one of the best threads I have ever read!...Love the pool!!

I am glad you are enjoying it! I am having a blast writing it. It has been very therapeutic....

Yesterday I went to order the grill, outside refrigerator and several drawers for the outdoor kitchen. It is going to be 15 feet long so even with my egg I will have plenty of room. I really wanted a 36 inch grill but the 36 inch models that I was willing to pay for, when I saw in person were made with really thin metal and looked like it wouldn't last even 5 years. I just didn't want to spend a fortune on a grill because most of my cooking will be on the egg.

I fell in love with one brand but was a fortune. (All I'm going to cook on this thing is hamburgers and hotdogs) The salesman suggested the 30 inch model of the same brand. It was a thousand dollars less but had almost all of the same features except a different grate and a smoking drawer which I don't need because of the egg. I went with the 30 inch model, ordered the other stuff, and drove home.

At dinner I was telling my family what I ordered and said, "Do you think six more inches is worth a thousand dollars more?"

They could not stop laughing at me for about an hour........

Stone work is coming along nicely this week, just slow. I was hoping they would be done tomorrow but it is supposed to rain here.

Attachments

• IMG_1764.JPG
    IMG_1764.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_1765.JPG
    IMG_1765.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 347

I am praying that this stuff works.....It arrived today. I want to get it on before they pour the plaster so I don't risk staining it.

Attachments

• IMG_1767.JPG
    IMG_1767.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 350

harleysilo said:
So what are you planning to do with that privacy fence all said and done? Pressure wash and stain? That can do wonders I'll tell you....

Just power wash. Everytime I do that it makes the fence look brand new. I don't like staining anything because it seems like here, maybe because of the heat, you have to re-stain everything quite often and I like the natural look.

I think my PB found this forum and this thread. People now show up everyday. Unfortunately they only work for less than 2 hours each day. After 5 days of actually having stone in my backyard, coping around the fire pit and spa is not done and the rock around the back of the fire pit isn't complete.

Thank god I didn't have them do a flagstone deck as well because if so I would be in danger of missing this entire pool season!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.