New Pentair mastertemp installed, pool and spa mode issue

Sal512

May 17, 2015
Austin, TX
I got a pentair mastertemp propane heater installed last week. Its 400k btu model number 460737. Its seems to be working fine. Its connected to the main aquarite panel. When i keep it in pool mode on my aquarite control panel, turn on heater from the aquarite. The heater turns on , but the indicator on the display panel on heater shows 'spa'. Then when i switch to spa mode on aquarite panel, it does not switch on the heater panel. How should i fix this ? The pool professional was unable to fix it and he left saying its working fine so ignore what it shows on the heater panel. Which is BS!
I read the manual, there seems to be jumper that needs to be set to disable the buttons of the heater panel so its controlled remote only, i suspect that was not set properly by pool guy, i am unable to find that jumper when i opened the heater panel, anybody know where it is. I have attached pictures from my manual
3a4f587366ed58f0cabb6b23eeb0c7e6.jpg

89b9c56445975afb0d69f53c224c74fa.jpg

It doesn't matter if it's in spa or pool mode but it has to be set to one or the other. You are controlling the temp from the Aquarite. They have it hooked up thru the two(2) wire configuration. So don't worry if it's on spa or pool, just set your temperature accordingly.

U mean i am controlling the heater on/off and spa or pool mode from aquarite, correct ? I cannot control temp from aquarite it does not have buttons for temp , see pic . My concern is somebody heating the pool by mistake, dont want to heat entire pool , only want to use propane heater for heating spa
b35bf801ce7c31ca08c369748bfdaa9c.jpg

Yup. That is where you control the outside unit to run the pump and to turn things like the heater on and off as well as set the temp for what you want the heater to heat to. See the buttons on the bottom for heater.

It doesn't matter if it's in spa or pool mode but it has to be set to one or the other. You are controlling the temp from the Aquarite. They have it hooked up thru the two(2) wire configuration. So don't worry if it's on spa or pool, just set your temperature accordingly.

Is there a separate exit pipe for the spa on the heater? Without a separate exit pipe, how could you heat "just your spa" or "just your pool"

In a pool/spa combo setup where the spa spills over into the pool, you have valves you either turn manually or via your automation system to isolate the water flow for just the spa. The heater doesn't know where the water comes from or goes back to. You or your automation system will determine that. Keep in mind, that when you are in what would be called pool mode on your system, you are heating ALL of the water. So if you set the heater to 88 degree's, ALL water in the pool and spa will heat to that temp.

Yup. That is where you control the outside unit to run the pump and to turn things like the heater on and off as well as set the temp for what you want the heater to heat to. See the buttons on the bottom for heater.

I was able to set different temps for pool and spa from the inside unit and the heater worked well. Thank you. However, the buttons on the heater unit still worked though i had the main controller in 'Auto' mode ?? Is there a way to disable the temp high low buttons on the heater unit ? I want to prevent folks from changing settings from the outside.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was able to set different temps for pool and spa from the inside unit and the heater worked well. Thank you. However, the buttons on the heater unit still worked though i had the main controller in 'Auto' mode ?? Is there a way to disable the temp high low buttons on the heater unit ? I want to prevent folks from changing settings from the outside.

With the two wire setup, no. Is this a rental house that you don't want someone from changing the temp on the heater?

You should though on the heater, set the pool and spa temps all the way up to 104. This way you can have the full range of temp from your indoor controller.

With the two wire setup, no. Is this a rental house that you don't want someone from changing the temp on the heater?

You should though on the heater, set the pool and spa temps all the way up to 104. This way you can have the full range of temp from your indoor controller.

Its not a rental, I live here. The heater is out in the open in the side yard, providing easy access to kids walking by, i have two and my neighbor has 4 kids all under the age of 10. How do i make this a 3 wire setup, i think i have 3 wire coming from the controller, the installer chose to use 2 wire

b161fd57d7b83da6befa5f3d79a59298.jpg

If I am not mistaken, I do not think your controller allows for a three wire hook up. The pages of the manual you posted shows how a three wire hook up is done at the heater but again, I do not think your controller allows for it.

I don't know your children or the neighbors, but I wouldn't think they would just come along and mess with it. Unless the unit has been turned on via your controller, the keypad and system has no power to it. So it would have to be on and running in order for them or anyone to mess with it. Besides, they could always put your outdoor controller in service mode and then do whatever they wanted to do. Unless of course you keep that locked which isn't a very good idea as your breakers are in there and in case of an emergency that you would need to power something down, you wouldn't be able unless you unlocked it first.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.