New owner, want to see if I have the basics of startup correct

starquake

Aug 1, 2023
Ohio
Hot tub is due next month and I'm doing as much homework as possible. This is all very overwhelming.

1. Fill tub through filter well with filters removed. Using a hose filter.

2. Use Ahhsome to purge the system.

3. Cut power off and drain.

4. Clean shell etc.

5. Put filters back in and turn power back on.

6. Refill tub through filter well.

7. Heat to at least 80F.

8. Balance TA to about 125, then Ph to 7.5.

9. Use sodium bromide to get to levels about 5.

10. Get Calcium to about 175.

11. Use liquid unscented bleach to shock (what level of what am I looking for here?).

12. Once at correct levels, put bromine tablets in floater.

13. Enjoy?

Am I missing anything? Any advice?

Hot tub is due next month and I'm doing as much homework as possible. This is all very overwhelming.

2. Use Ahhsome to purge the system.

3. Cut power off and drain.

4. Clean shell etc.

5. Put filters back in and turn power back on.

6. Refill tub through filter well.

7. Heat to at least 80F.

8. Balance TA to about 125, then Ph to 7.5.

9. Use sodium bromide to get to levels about 5.

10. Get Calcium to about 175.

11. Use liquid unscented bleach to shock (what level of what am I looking for here?).

12. Once at correct levels, put bromine tablets in floater.

13. Enjoy?

Am I missing anything? Any advice?

I must say as i have learned on this Forum with a wealth of knowledge from a few key experts, ie; Joyfulnoise, Ahh-some guy, Rdspa, etc.. Your steps look good except for 5/6 and you need to establish a bromine bank first before you are even able to test that level from what i have learned. I also would not use a floater and would only use those to maintain somewhat of a level of sanitizer if on vacation. Myself as well am expecting an install in the next few weeks prior to winter and have switched my theory from bromine to chlorine with SWCG as it seems to be easier to maintain as noted by many within this forum. You also need to wipe off (water line scum) while purging so as not to harden onto to shell, and just blow off the foam with leaf blower or use skimmer. I will also be blowing out my jets after purge with air nozzle or you can use a shop vac as well, starting from top jets to bottom jets. If possible go invest in a utility sump pump with discharge hose as this will save you a ton of time, as i have invested in this and will cut drain and up time to a minimum. Steep learning curve to learning about maintaining tub but after that to me it's like a hobby and really not that bad once established. Enjoy:)

You have a great plan & good job on planning to purge immediately - ignoring this sets many people up for high sanitizer demand right out of the gate.
A couple notes 📝
*no need to wait for the tub to come up to temp before adding sanitizer. You want it in the water immediately & all the time. Sanitation is king 👑
*I don’t see what test kit you’re using in your signature but you definitely need a proper one. The tf100 or Taylor k2006 are what we recommend.
Test Kits Compared

Follow this guide for bromine
👇

Note* This forum is mostly a chlorine forum so you may get more help if you go that route.

Here’s the guide for chlorine
👇
Btw- These are both pinned 📌 to the top of this sub forum.

Some people alternate between bromine & chlorine depending upon their circumstances after refilling each time. You can switch to bromine from chlorine without exchanging water but you must drain & start over to switch from bromine to chlorine.

• Love
Reactions: Armor77
You have a great plan & good job on planning to purge immediately - ignoring this sets many people up for high sanitizer demand right out of the gate.
A couple notes 📝
*no need to wait for the tub to come up to temp before adding sanitizer. You want it in the water immediately & all the time. Sanitation is king 👑
*I don’t see what test kit you’re using in your signature but you definitely need a proper one. The tf100 or Taylor k2006 are what we recommend.
Test Kits Compared

Follow this guide for bromine
👇

Note* This forum is mostly a chlorine forum so you may get more help if you go that route.

Here’s the guide for chlorine
👇
Btw- These are both pinned 📌 to the top of this sub forum.

Some people alternate between bromine & chlorine depending upon their circumstances after refilling each time. You can switch to bromine from chlorine without exchanging water but you must drain & start over to switch from bromine to chlorine.

I notices you are using a K -1766 kit with your saltron mini, i am thinking i should include this kit into my arsenal to test my salt as well as i currently only have the K-2006. Great replie's for the newb's out here, like i said earlier i have learnt alot from this forum and the best way to go and maintain as well. Thanks to All:)

Depends on your water supply. I don't use a filter to fill mine. My city water is pretty hard water, but I still need to add Ca to it because it is not hard enough to prevent foaming.

What exactly are your planning to filter out? And is it something that maybe you want in there?

Reactions: Mdragger88
Depends on your water supply. I don't use a filter to fill mine. My city water is pretty hard water, but I still need to add Ca to it because it is not hard enough to prevent foaming.

What exactly are your planning to filter out? And is it something that maybe you want in there?
I believe Starquake is filling a hot tub and not a Pool, i use a filter to fill my HT as the city water is hard and full of various chems as my buddy supplys the chems to the city for water treatment. I would not use a filter if i was filling a Pool either but a water truck would be in order as my neighbor does this for his 10k pool.

I believe Starquake is filling a hot tub and not a Pool, i use a filter to fill my HT as the city water is hard and full of various chems as my buddy supplys the chems to the city for water treatment. I would not use a filter if i was filling a Pool either but a water truck would be in order as my neighbor does this for his 10k pool.
I was referring to a hot tub too. My city water is hard(ish). But I run my tub at about 300 ppm CH in order to prevent foaming. I have to ADD extra hardness to the tub. Before the OP decides he needs to filter his water for his tub, he should should check if he indeed needs to.

Reactions: Armor77

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was referring to a hot tub too. My city water is hard(ish). But I run my tub at about 300 ppm CH in order to prevent foaming. I have to ADD extra hardness to the tub. Before the OP decides he needs to filter his water for his tub, he should should check if he indeed needs to.
Our water isn't great, when I turn on the sprinkler, if it starts getting the windshield of our car it leaves a white film on it that's very hard to remove. It ruined our doorbell camera. I suspect filtering my water will be beneficial, but I was planning on taking a sample to our local pool store anyway to see what my levels are and what amount of chemicals I'm going to need to add. Is store testing typically free?

Our water isn't great, when I turn on the sprinkler, if it starts getting the windshield of our car it leaves a white film on it that's very hard to remove. It ruined our doorbell camera. I suspect filtering my water will be beneficial, but I was planning on taking a sample to our local pool store anyway to see what my levels are and what amount of chemicals I'm going to need to add. Is store testing typically free?
It is typically free- & it’s worth about what you pay for it, along with their advice 😁 they’ll be selling you all kinda mess!
You can & should use your own taylor k2006 or tf100 to test your fill water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.