New owner of a older pool, tried Pool Store, now going TFPC

Solar blanket doesn't matter. I leave mine on all the time when we're not swimming.

The major benefits of the blanket are at night, when it prevents heat loss through evaporation.

Perfect, last question, when you add bleach do you just move the blanket over and put it in without removing it completely? I'm just thinking of when the pool store said to make sure not to cover the pool when adding chemicals.

You can run the pump when you want to. You will learn what your pool likes as far as length of time. Keep a close eye on your tests and see what your pool tells you.

Solar blanket----cannot answer as I do not have one.

Kim

That's great to hear, will make things a lot easier :)

Just checked the pool for FC tonight, wanted to see how much it lost in 24hrs:

07/14-11:45pm-21ppm FC
07/15-11pm-14ppm FC

So in ~24 hours I lost 7ppm or 33%, not sure if that's normal or not but I had the solar blanket off all day, this would mean if I keep my FC at the high end which is 6 within 24hrs it would drop to 4 which is the low end so I'll want to make sure I keep an eye on this so it doesn't go down past 4 ever. Or I just keep my FC at 7.

I will see what the loss is like over the next day, should be around 9ppm tomorrow night but will be keeping the solar blanket ON tomorrow so that might affect it.

Well, here I am again, as per above I passed SLAM because I passed the OCLT, CC was 0 or 0.5 and water was clear and the water stayed really clear for 3 weeks. During those 3 weeks I tested the pool daily most times twice a day and kept the pool FC at 8ppm, the lowest I seen was 5.5ppm when we went away for 2 days right after SLAM but I had raised FC higher and it dropped to 5.5. My CYA is 50 so 5.5 is withing the allowable limits. The only thing I didn't do last time was bring it up to Mustard Algae Shock Level as I assumed I didn't have Mustard Algae......

PH and TA have not moved at all even with all the rain we've had which is a little odd but good I guess. I re-tested CYA this morning in the sun and it's still at 50.

Anyways, point of this new post is that the water as of this past weekend where we swam in it for like 30 min due to crappy weather is getting cloudy and I'm seeing more "yellow/orange clouds" come off the bottom of the pool when I brush it and some yellow accumulation on the floors/walls. FC is acting like normal, over night it will either not drop at all or drop .5ppm and CC is either 0 or 0.5.

So, I just put enough bleach in there to raise it to Mustard Algae Shock Level, will maintain that for 1-2 days and do the OCLT etc. all over again until it passes another SLAM.

Will post some pictures when I go back out to test to make sure I'm at the right level. I guess I''ll be off to the store at lunch to get more bleach!!

So, I brought it up to Mustard Algae Slam level yesterday which is 29ppm, scrubbed EVERYWHERE. Last night 10pm I tested and was at 29ppm then I brushed the pool like crazy got every nook and cranny. This morning at 7:30am it was at 26.5ppm so not bad and the water clarity has improved 100% over yesterday morning even so that's great.

Do I do the OCLT at Mustard Algae level or regular SLAM level or does it matter? I assume keeping it at 29ppm for long isn't great?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm new as well, but I believe the usual recommendation is to SLAM at normal levels and then once you pass the SLAM raise to mustard algae FC levels for 24 hrs. Having said that, I would think that if you're already at mustard algae levels and have been for over 24 hrs, you pass the OCLT, CC below 0.5 and water is clear then you're probably done. Someone with more experience may clarify that for you though. Good luck!

I'm new as well, but I believe the usual recommendation is to SLAM at normal levels and then once you pass the SLAM raise to mustard algae FC levels for 24 hrs. Having said that, I would think that if you're already at mustard algae levels and have been for over 24 hrs, you pass the OCLT, CC below 0.5 and water is clear then you're probably done. Someone with more experience may clarify that for you though. Good luck!

Good post. This should work.

Alright, came home after being at work all day and it went from 29 to 18 which is 38% and inline with what I had seen in the past, was a nice sunny day today.

Decided just to bring it up to 20 and then will see how she does this evening and will see how it is overnight. If it passes OCLT since I was at 29 for 24hrs already do I need to do it again after?

Ok, Slam target is 20ppm, last night T 10pm FC was at 20ppm and this morning 6:30am was 19.5ppm with 0.5cc (1 drop) and the water is clear.

I'm happy that didn't take long, I will now bring it up to 29 for the day just to be sure and will again brush everything.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.