Aug 4, 2022
SoCal
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi All:

Quick background: Spent July traveling. Came back home to find our long-time poolman had not attended to our pool, and we now owned the Black Lagoon. It was gross.
Parted ways with the pool guy, and immediately grabbed the reins to try and get a handle on things while, my intent was at the time, I found another pool guy.

Then, I ran into this forum, and you can probably guess the rest.

Been doing the pool store testing thing while I awaited my TF-Pro. Happy to report that as of today my pool LOOKS like a million bucks again, BUT, I suspected the chemical balance was, shall we say, not optimized. :)

OK, enough chit chat. Here are my FIRST results (FYI, I followed the instructions on the included laminated sheet to the letter). Appreciate any and all input, and I thank you in advance!

Comparator Block Daily:
Cl: Off the charts orange. I will try to attach a pic.
PH: 7.5 ppm

Chlorine Drop Test:
FC: 11.5 ppm
CC: 00.5 ppm
TC: 12.0 ppm

Calcium Hardness:
CH: 750 ppm (30 drops to blue)

Total Alkalinity:
TA: 150 ppm

CYA:
CYA: 60-80 ppm (how "can't see the dot" are we talking?)

If you've read this far, I will explain what I have done since I discovered my personal Black Lagoon:

1] Thought about kicking the dog, but fired the poolman instead.
2] Searched Internet for pool maintenance info, found TFP, and spent a few hours reading, then ordered a test kit.
3] Took water sample to pool store (it was an emergency), bought a pole-attached roller vacuum, a brush that has some metal in the bristles, 2 pounds shock and 2 gallons chlorine (a delusion), came home cleaned out skimmer (looked like someone had stuffed debris in there ... basket was not installed), added shock and brushed. Turned pump on max rpm, and let her run. 12 hours later, added 2 gal chlorine.
4] Next day, took sample, vacuumed, and noticed brown stuff coming out of the return lines, went to poolstore, bought DE, tested water (no chlorine!), bought a case, came home and backwashed filter, added two gallons chlorine, then went flyfishing for a week. Asked the wife to put in two gallons of chlorine midweek. Pool was looking better, but still very green and murky when I left. Pump at full rpm all week ( :( ).
5] Returned from my trip, pool appearance steady but still bad, shocked it again, brushed it. Next morning, vacuumed it, took sample to store -- no chlorine! Bought a case. They said needed conditioner and acid was too high (?) - partial drain and refill. Bought 5 lbs. conditioner.
6] Waited til afternoon, drained about 3-4 inches of water from pool, refilled, added 5 pounds pre-dissolved (mostly) conditioner, then added 4 gal chlorine, set the pump on 3400 rpm (max), and got the (newly rebuilt Navigator) buzzing around.

7] That was 2 nights ago. Yesterday the water was much better, actually blue, but cloudy. Brushed it again for the heckuvit, kept the Navigator running all day, pump at full RPM.
8] This morning, water is clear, blue , beautiful (like I haven't seen it in AGES, but smells strongly of chlorine), aaaaaaaaaand ... my test kit arrived today.

:)pool_img.JPG

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!
Your CH is high. You will need to drain and refill this pool soon. Or you will get scale unless you aggressively reduce TA and manage it and pH in the lower ranges.
The CYA test -- say it is 70 (will post a detail on how to test later) then it is high for a non-SWCG pool. You can manage it, but let it come down by using liquid chlorine only.
You say the pool is clear. Really clear? See heads or tail on a quarter in deep end? Most people have never seen a TFP clear pool.
For now, if the pool is clear and FC consumption is normal, follow the FC/CYA Levels
I suggest you read through Pool Care Basics - Trouble Free Pool and even look at a few of our videos TFP-TV - Trouble Free Pool

When you do the CYA test, try this next time.

Once you have your solution ready, back to the sun, etc. Fill the vial to a line, say 80, lower the vial to your waist level and glance for the dot, you see it, add solution to the 70 line, glance, see it, repeat until you no longer see it with a glance. Then use the CYA value one step above the line you read. So if you stopped at 50, use 60 ppm CYA.

The vial is in logarithmic scale. So it is not viable to interpolate between the lines. Just use the whole numbers, such as 50, 40, 30, ....

Reactions: Oly and Mdragger88
Your fc isn’t high - anywhere between minimum & slam level for your cya is ok
FC/CYA Levels
The yellow oto test is more of a “do i have any chlorine or not?” Kinda test. The fas/dpd Is the one to focus on for knowing where u stand & calculating additions.
If u had a lagoon I suspect your work isn’t over.
Now that you are armed with a proper test kit you can do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to determine if u are indeed ready to maintain target fc levels or need to proceed w/ the SLAM Process.
Also as @mknauss said, how clear are we talking?
How Clear is TFP Clear?

Thanks very much for the feedback. It is very helpful.

1). Drain the whole pool? I hope not. I am in severe drought country!
2). Yes. Will use liquid cl only for the foreseeable future.
3). Pretty dang clear and yes, can see heads or tails on a quarter in deep end (with my glasses on :) ). Just noticed that at night I can still see a bit of a haze in the water in front of the light though, so am open to making it even clearer!

1). Just took a sample and tested for a OCLT. 9 pm. TC went down to 8.5 already since early today. I don’t know if that’s good or bad, but I am preparing myself for OCLT results in the morning. :?

Again, many thanks!!

Rick

Drain the whole pool? I hope not. I am in severe drought country!
If not all, most of it, yes. Not right away, you have time with a CH of 750. But in your area with such hard water, a full water exchange is quite common every 18 months to 2 years depending on the amount of hard water top-offs. When that time comes, do it in the winter so the sun isn't so intense on the plaster.

We'll watch for this morning's OCLT results.

Much obliged.

For now, I'm going to try and ease this CYA down so I don't need so much chlorine. Try to finish out the summer and do a drain and fill when the season is over. Baby steps. :)

Hopefully we'll get some rain soon!!

Again, many thanks!

Rick

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.