New Member, First Build...What have we gotten into?

I know Karen has been doing most of the updating on this lately but, I thought I should get one in. First, completely unrelated to the pool but still fairly amusing, the electrical contractor that installed our horse arena lights called me this morning and asked if I still needed him to come out and fix one of my lights that had a lens coming loose. I called him about this issue a year ago!! At least he didn't forget. The 16" glass lens had long since fallen off; amazingly the 40' drop didn't break it so he had a couple guys come out with a lift and fix it.

On to the pool project. Carpenters showed up around 10:00am and worked until 2:00pm. They finished all the ceiling they could do until after the fireplace is completed. The PB wanted them to install everything and leave a hole for the fireplace but, the carpenters said no. I think it's the right decision; the wood needs to be carefully fit around the stone. I'm confident the stonemasons would not carefully fit the stone to a hole in the ceiling.

Overall I would say that the carpenters that are doing this work are adequate but certainly not finish carpenters. They would never be able to trim out a house but with a little help, they will be able to make this project look decent. They don't seem to understand how to set up a compound miter saw for cutting the boards to fit consistently. All the end cuts will get covered with a faux beam so I can let it slide. Here's some pics of the tongue and groove as of today.

Main pavilion ceiling looking from the house side.

Untitled by Ranger_Bob, on Flickr

Kitchen area looking toward main pavilion.

They installed these 12" screws and removed the joist hanger. I'm not feeling real comfortable with this option either. I don't know what kind of shear strength these have but I intend to find out. Also seems to me that installing them in a straight line is inviting a crack that allows them to fail.

This is how the builder told the carpenters to trim out the top of the posts. I don't hate it but I think I might at least have them add a 1x2 below the 2x6.

View from the back patio of the house. Just trying to imagine how nice it will be all finished up and filled with water.

That's all I've got. I'm told that the stone crew and the electrician will be out next week but, I'm not holding my breath on the stone crew. I was also told that they are trying to finish up another job before they come back out here.

Bob

That's a really nice looking pool project you have going on their Ranger Bob and the Mrs. I can feel your pain too regarding having to manage a project that you paid a lot of money for someone else to. We're not to far from you. And actually that big storm you have photos of delayed the start of my pool by a week. I read your posts from start to finish and many of your words struck the same note with me. We are at about the same timeframe. According to the PM we are getting our equipment installed on Monday, nothing on Tuesday, Electricians on Wednesday and then plaster on Thursday but of course as you know they are calling for storms so I'm betting that gets pushed back. I've tried to remain calm and think positive but it isn't always easy.......LOL

Just something I'd like to throw out there: I know you are neck deep in the process here and there have been frustrations aplenty, but good gravy look at this thing. It's going to be awesome. Take a deep breath, stand back and look at the bigger picture - it will be great and your will have tons of happy times out at your new backyard oasis when it's all said and done.

ps I found it impossible to execute this very advice while my pool was under construction so I know it is tough.

Man, this project is just wearing me out! Today the stone masons showed up. They unloaded a good amount of block and started measuring things out and putting down lines. I wandered out to see what was going on. The guy with the plan in hand was holding the original concept drawing. We just spent two weeks going back and forth on the changes for the next phase. I was told that the designer was doing an updated drawing...No! I called the project manager and told him the guys did not have the current information. He said he would be out in an hour or so to get everything taken care of. I handed my phone to one of the guys since they didn't speak English and my Spanish is...well, I don't speak Spanish.

So, when the PM gets here, he's forgotten pretty much everything we've talked about over the last couple weeks. He was a semi-pro boxer for about ten years so I shouldn't be too surprised. They tell me they need all the appliances because they fit everything to the actual components instead of reading the manufacturers installation specifications. We hauled everything out of my garage and I just about lost my mind when one of the guys wasn't strong enough to hold up his end of the Twin Eagles grill. I though for sure they were going to drop it. After two hours of discussions and translating (which I'm sure was inaccurate; I do speak a little Spanish) we had all somewhat reached a common concept, I hope!

Here's some pics of the first blocks going in in both the kitchen and the fireplace.

Bob

Oh boy. I feel like I should offer you some of my Xanax....jk. But at least you are around to keep an eye on things. I wish you didn't have to deal with so much stress from it all, but at least you got them pointed in the right direction, and it really is going to be a beautiful haven you'll have when it is done. That's the downside of having a big project with all the extras going on at the same time. Its a lot more complicated to juggle, so many more subs, so many details but the upside is, that when its done its done and all that will be left is to enjoy it.

I think it was KimKats who said, "they try to wear you down". She was right. I'm at a point now where I get home from work and I don't even go look at the progress. I just go "uh huh" and figure when the water is in, then I'll decide if I'm going to get excited or not. Part of it is probably because I don't like the deck. Bob is trying to keep me upbeat about it and telling me to wait for the whole thing to come together. They did come out and "fix it". Somehow they got the foot prints out, they sanded down some of the rougher areas and they put an overlay in the kitchen area where the worst of the finish was. I actually like the overlay and wish the whole deck could have been done that way. It was done by one person (the supervisor) and it shows that he was paying attention to his work. But of course, since that area looks nice it makes the rest look even worse (in my eyes).

We'll see how the fire place comes out. I know it's not a great idea to get your heart set on something. But the fireplace was the feature that we designed around. I saw a photo of a fireplace that I loved - and so this image is in my mind's eye of what I expect the grand feature to be. At least Bob warned the PM..."you need to get this fireplace right - my wife doesn't like the deck and this fireplace better be good" :)

Beaded - you are right, I try to think - "if we had just done the pool, it would most likely be over by now, but because we wanted the outdoor living area - it is taking longer and it will be something to enjoy"

Meanwhile - I'm enjoying all the other builds and excited for those of you who have water in and prepared to hunker down with those of you just getting started - Karen

Bob and Karen,
I have kept up with your build for awhile now and have sat here and read each and every post feeling the excitement in your words. Then the next moment of heartbreak when the realization of incompetence is realized.
I truly am sorry it has came to this. The feelings of despair, depression and frustration. I also detect a sliver of hope that is is going to work out perfectly. Build on that sliver of hope.
When someone documents their pool build, it allows us a look into their life through their words and pictures. Alot of us feel how you feel and can relate to your feelings and that we are standing beside you (at least in spirit) ready to give all the moral support you need to keep going.

Good post by one_knight. We're there with you to commiserate and we'll be there to celebrate when it's done. As cliche as it is, and it's been said so many times...but someday you'll look back at the build with an eye roll but I bet you'll be extremely happy with the pool and outdoor area.

Keep plugging along and hopefully the light at the end of the tunnel will appear soon!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Karen-------HUGS! See they can and will TRY to wear you down. That does not mean you have to let them. Keep a stiff upper lip and MAKE them fix what you want fixed and do things the correct way the first time.

For the fireplace I would print out a BIG picture of your dream fireplace and post it where the workers can see it! "This is what I want MY fireplace to look like!"

The patio-is there any way you can do the overlay on all of it? They messed it up so they should fix it to YOUR liking.

I have been thinking about you.

Kim

I,too, have been watching your build since you started. It will be truly beautiful when finished. I agree with Kim. Show these guys a picture of what you want. Hopefully, there is a true artist among these guys that can build an impressive fireplace if he just had a clear idea of what you want. I would hate to be trying to do a job when I couldn't speak the language of the owner. Reality is, most of the pictures of pool builds appear to have Hispanics doing the labor. Remember Martin Kennedy's beautiful mosaic? Maybe one of your guys has some real talent.

Wear a pistol strapped to your side when you go out to talk to them and maybe that will inspire them to do better work ;-)

Funny you mention that. It is one of my preferred techniques for sending a message when I have workers around the place that I don't know. Security is important to me and sending a not-too-subtle message is a good way to maintain it. I also like to mention (in casual conversation) that I spent a number of years teaching Close Quarters Combat in the Army.

Bob

Okay - so I went outside to look at the progress :). Here's where we are this morning. I'm leaving Bob behind to supervise as I head to a horse show for the weekend and when I get back - maybe I'll have a nice surprise waiting for me. Plus it's my birthday this weekend - so it has to be a nice surprise right?

Behind the spa you can see the block work for the back of the wall of one side of the L in the outdoor kitchen. This is where the grill and versa burner will be - along with the "calentador de agua caliente" or hot water heater. [36racin - we are getting closer to being able to respond to your question....]

This is the front of that same wall with some of the stone work started.

This one shows how they are wrapping it around the corner

Hi Karen, I think your fire place is going to be great! The BBQ area is looking very nice so far. So, hang in there. You will love everything at the end.

On the side note, we are also using salt rock texture of our patio and deck. I know you said to make sure they applied the salt in the concrete firmly. Anything else that I should make sure they do to get a good result?

Happy Birthday Karen, what they've done so far looks good. That stone looks so nice and natural in your surroundings. I'm LOLing at the gun on the hip thing. My preferred persuasion techniques is donuts and sandwiches. Being originally from Britain my only weapons training involves an acerbic wit, usually wielded from a good distance, preferably out of earshot. My security system consists of my four 'attack' dogs. And by attack, they usually pile up so many toys in front of your feet you trip over them and then get held down by licks and demands for butt scratches. Foolproof, I tell you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.