New Member, First Build...What have we gotten into?

I see it...there must be a glue lam or a beam that butts the glue lam in which case it would need to be ledgered or a joist hanger put in...but good lord, we're talking 10 minutes max to hang it :scratch: why the trim carpenter didn't knock it out :rolleyes:???

this is the kind of sh#$ that irks me to no end. that pavilion should've been finished in a day and half after they framed it out...makes me want to throw my tool belt on and come over and :hammer: when your T&G is hung that should help with the racking of the structure...any pole structure, no matter the depth of the supports is going to rack a little until it is braced and finished...the chimney all the way to the ground should help...is it going to penetrate the roof??

total incompetence is what you got going over there. that Project Mgr....or so he says should meet each sub each day they are on site to go over what he expects, make sure they have the material needed and by god someone's not leaving there til some work's done...hammer and nails flyin'. i'll get off my soapbox now.

I grew up in Plano, so I know the area pretty well, sister and mom live in Lewisville, just south of yall

Thursday update: No workers, No work. I called the PM at 2pm (workers were supposed to be here by 1pm) he said they were running late from another job. I asked for an ETA when they would be here, and he said he would call me back. And the joist hangar was ordered and will be in on Friday and hung before the concrete gets poured. At 5:30 PM (No workers, no work) PM called and said nobody will be here today, they will be here at 6am on Friday - and concrete will pour on Sat.

JJ - Chimney is supposed to go through the roof. They will have to cut the roof and re-shingle.

-Karen

What a mess with all of the now shows.

You know what they are trying to do????? Wear you do so you will not insist or be able to be there when they work. That way they can slop their way through the work.

Bad workers! BAD!

Kim

You know what they are trying to do????? Wear you do so you will not insist or be able to be there when they work. That way they can slop their way through the work.

Kim

I'm pretty sure they know that won't happen. I am very detail oriented and stubborn as a mule! Since I work from home, there's no chance of them getting anything over on me. You can see my shop in some of the pictures. I work in there with the bay doors open and I look up and see what's going on all day long.

Bob

Made some progress today. Workers were supposed to be here at 6am. The stone mason showed up at 9am but he got the scupper in straight (which actually had to get done before the concrete pour since the plumbing would be under the concrete). Around 2pm the carpenter showed up and hung the "temporary" joist hangar,[ i.e. sheet metal double joist 2x8 hangar] (JJ - you were right, it took him 5 minutes) - hopefully the temporary timeframe is really short because the hangar won't hold for long. Then about 2:30 the concrete guys showed up and did quite a bit of work, tamping, wrapping foam around the pillars and coping, replacing some forms etc.

The PM just called Bob and said they will be here tomorrow at 5am to pour concrete and apparently the walnut/pecan rock salt finish is going down at the same time.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that we'll have some pictures tomorrow to post with the decking.

-Karen

5 am AND THE CONCRETE GUYS ARRIVED!!!! We went out and turned on the riding arena lights to help with the lighting (Sorry Neighbors). I cannot tell you how excited I am about this. It will psychologically make me feel we have turned the corner (at least until the next pause in the build out). I think there are about 15 guys out in the yard working (or supervising). Since the decking stain is a blend of two colors and they are putting it down with the wet concrete - I have no idea how they know what it's going to look like - but I can't wait to post photos tonight to show this major event :).

Martin - I think your original estimate of double the timeline is going to be about right. We have set our estimated completion date at the end of September - but of course that is with no input from the PB.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here are the long awaited photos of progress!!! With a nice early start around 5am, the crew wrapped up around 3pm. The PB showed up around 10am and took photos of the work in progress - and to help him figure out what he's going to do around the lounging area where the back of the pool and plumbing are still showing. We don't have any instruction regarding the decking so we'll just walk around and stare at it :) which actually makes me happy at this point. Even my dad stopped by to take a look - our party next week is supposed to be a birthday party for the grand niece and nephew but I think I'm going to have a minor decking celebration along with it. Tonight, I'm going to sit outside and enjoy it :)

The crew working their way around the pool
Untitled by Ranger_Bob, on Flickr

Working the pavilion area

The pecan/walnut stain has been added

Just another one of work getting done

Rock salt laid down and being softly tamped in - I think this will get rinsed off at some point (and yes there is a small pile of it sitting on the flagstone)

Another view of workers and rock salt, the steps into the pavilion will eventually be faced and topped with flagstone

The section the PB needs to figure out around the lounging area

Forgot to remind them to stain the equipment pad (even though we reminded ourselves 3 times to tell them)

The "temporary" joist hangar - for JJ

Well, it's been 5 days and we haven't posted - so thought we should share some updates since the decking got poured. Yesterday, the concrete crew came out to spray off the salt and remove the foam covering the pavilion pillars and do some basic cleanup. So it was the first time we got a good look at the stain color and texture with the salt removed. Here are some things we noticed:

It appears the concrete truck hit the pillar. They probably didn't notice on the day of pour because the pillar was wrapped in foam, but I'm pretty sure they noticed it when they unwrapped it since it is a good 3 inches deep and 2 feet long Bob sent a photo to the PB and project manager and asked if the concrete crew mentioned it (No). We are now getting an additional stone wrapped pillar...

The next thing we noticed were "signature marks" by the concrete crew - in other words - foot prints and hand prints. Typically, these occurred around the edges. When the project manager saw photos of these he stated "I wouldn't want feet print in my deck" At this point, a solution hasn't been determined. He'll be out on Tuesday to look at it.

And although, not as distinctive as a foot print or hand print, there are also several areas where the trowel marks are very noticeable and create a raised edge on the deck. It stands out more because the finish is supposed to be a blended stain with a rock salt finish - so your eye should see the little pock mark holes in the deck - not bumps of concrete.

Tongue and Groove guys are scheduled to be out tomorrow.

Last night, one of the Dobermans "escaped" into the back yard. He had a great time finally being able to run around his ten acres again but we had to round him up because he was heading for the pool which is still full of disgusting green rain water and construction garbage. And like Sunny Optimism says - full of frogs. The dogs will be happy when the build is over and their temporary run gets taken down so they can go back to their full property patrol. :)

-Karen

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.