Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello!
Thank you for this terrific resource!
I have an above ground pool (9th year) and before this one I had an Intex seasonal pool (3 years).
I have stuck with Baqua all this time because chlorine is irritating to my skin. However, the past couple of years my pool has been a real pain to maintain, especially regarding persistent algae blooms.
This year the season started out with-you guessed it-algae. Ugh.
So, I made the decision to convert and I’m excited about the prospect of less time, energy and money to keep my pool in good shape.
I’m retired, don’t have tons of $$$ to throw in my pool and want to learn everything I can without pressure to buy “products” that may or may not be what I need.
My pool is 18’ round. About 7500 gal.
👋

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Below is our conversion page if you need it. Our Pool Care Basics page is also very helpful.

You will likely find that a chlorine pool properly managed the TFP way will have none of the negative effects some notice or be harsh on your skin.
Often the issues people have are due to insufficient chlorine leading to irritating chloramines and or mismanaged ph along with a stew of unnecessary & often irritating potions.

To do the conversion & maintain your pool properly afterwards you must first arm yourself with an appropriate & accurate test kit.
The Taylor k2006c
(available at various online retailers)
& the tf100/tfpro
(at tftestkits.net)
are the only ones we recommend & that will test everything you need to test.
Test Kits Compared

Reactions: katwhen31
Thanks! My test kit is on order and I’ve started the process already. I found the conversion info very helpful which is how I found this forum.
I’m looking forward to a better pool season!

You need to reach & maintain a 15ppm fc level. This is beyond the ability of any test kit that is not fas/dpd . That means you’re flying blind & may waste chlorine or cause liner or equipment damage by over/under dosing. It’s best to wait for the kit to arrive to begin the process.

You need to reach & maintain a 15ppm fc level. This is beyond the ability of any test kit that is not fas/dpd . That means you’re flying blind & may waste chlorine or cause liner or equipment damage by over/under dosing. It’s best to wait for the kit to arrive to begin the process.
Thanks. I should have waited but having just treated and removed algae I was afraid of more algae returning if it was just sitting there. I vacuumed to waste twice so replaced some of the water. Probably not more than about 25-30%. Right now it looks good re: clarity/algae. I got impatient I’m afraid. Probably wasting chlorine. Test is supposed to arrive today.

Reactions: Mdragger88