New Liner - Am I being too picky?

That would be more than 1200 dollars of aggravation to me. The manufacturer is willing to make it right and Latham liners are not cheap. I would opt for replacement. If you get it ordered now it will be delivered in time for spring installation.

Reactions: Newdude
I’d take the $1,200 and live with it (honestly, something like that doesn’t bother me). Pulling out the liner and putting in a new one isn’t risk free. You have skimmers, lights, and returns that are all sealed up and NOT leaking. Pull the liner and put a new one in and you’re rolling the dice on a light niche leaking or a skimmer opening cut the wrong way. The liner you have is in and it works … don’t fix what ain’t broke … but, if it truly bothers you that much, then I guess you have to take the chance …

I'm curious.....What would other TFP members do?
I'm pretty OCD, so it would bother me. However, the unknown of getting a new one would nag at me, too. At the end of the day, I'd probably take the $1200. I've never had a liner pool but my sister did and hers never seemed to last all that long (but she doesn't follow TFP- I've tried to tell her but she's stubborn).

My pool has some fairly poorly-applied plaster and some scarring from bad chemistry of the past. I've lived with it for 6 years and may re-plaster down the road.

Most folks that visit will walk past that lovely pool and not notice, you will, every time you glance or look. If it were me and it's going to cost you nothing, I would opt for replacement.

I slept on it and I'm still on the fence. Lol.

I run 24/7 with obnoxious sparkles and would likely rarely/never see it, but what they're offering you would cost you $5k or more to do yourself. And then the water and chemical costs.

Option 3: take the liner and store it climate controlled and maybe in 7 years it's still good. Mines already fading in spots after 2 years.

Tough call... Are you picky? I know I am so i'm not sure 1200$ would be enough to make me stop thinking about it. What would you choose if they offered you right off the bat this liner for 9800$ or a perfect one for 11000$ ? Are you normally buying discounted stuff with imperfection?

I slept on it and I'm still on the fence. Lol.

I run 24/7 with obnoxious sparkles and would likely rarely/never see it, but what they're offering you would cost you $5k or more to do yourself. And then the water and chemical costs.

Option 3: take the liner and store it climate controlled and maybe in 7 years it's still good. Mines already fading in spots after 2 years.
You think they won't take back the first liner?

I’m torn right along with you!
I’m not sure I would attempt to store the old liner after removing it though. Once the holes are cut it isn’t easy to line things back up.
I also can’t see how you’d even fold it back up to a reasonable size. Then there’s the fact that it has already been stretched and exposed, even though it’s not been very long.
I would definitely take a free new liner & store it though. Not sure of the shelf life but I do know mine was in the box in my garage for 5 months before installing and was fine. I have an above ground pool with a very common liner so they are mass produced & I have a feeling they sit around for a long time.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would take the new liner and keep the other one as replacement for sure!
No, as said above, the old one is toast once it comes out. I was suggesting trying to get the new liner, but not installing it. They likely produce it for about $1500, and it may even be how they came up with the number.

In theory, if they installed it they'd be out the liner cost, labor and rebalancing so they would prefer just the liner. But companies often want the old product back as you said, so that might skunk the idea.

If it worked out, there is some accepted risk that the liner doesn't fit right, looks worse than the original, or dry rots before it needs to be used.

Reactions: Mdragger88
No way! You spent $11k and will be seeing that liner EVERY DAY! Replace it. Would you have accepted the liner BEFORE it was installed if they gave you a stupid 10% discount on it??

No, as said above, the old one is toast once it comes out. I was suggesting trying to get the new liner, but not installing it. They likely produce it for about $1500, and it may even be how they came up with the number.

In theory, if they installed it they'd be out the liner cost, labor and rebalancing so they would prefer just the liner. But companies often want the old product back as you said, so that might skunk the idea.

If it worked out, there is some accepted risk that the liner doesn't fit right, looks worse than the original, or dry rots before it needs to be used.
I really see it the other way around. Because if he store the new one ( with the risk mentionned ), he will ended up enduring the old liner and maybe will never use the new one... Better off taking the 1200$ in that situation. If he store the old one, he has nothing to lose! I don't know about the rot but you can reinstall a liner even with the holes cut, it's not that hard.

Last edited:
You could always tell people (and yourself) that it's a safety feature to identify where the slope to the deep end starts and you paid extra for it because you're fancy. LOL

Much like how software developers respond to me when I identify an obvious glitch, "Oh, no. The crashing you are experiencing is a security feature to ensure that unauthorized users cannot gain access to your system. And we even set it up so it also crashes your operating system. You're welcome."

I had a similar situation with GLI about 10 years ago. I had some lighter panels and requested a warranty on the liner. I decided to take the new liner and store it inside for several years. This was after a discussion with GLI, and they said to I could store for 4 years in a controlled environment, with no issues. I figured this gave me 4 years free. Made sense to me at the time. (FYI, all install, water, etc on me).

Well, I certainly appreciate all the feedback and things to consider. Today, the pool company that installed it said that they misread the Latham email and they are willing to give me $1500 rather than $1200. I'm suspecting some shenanigans and maybe they are trying to see what I will accept. I'm not sure the extra $300 sways me so I am still considering the replacement although still torn. I just wish they hadn't made that mistake in the first place. But they did and at least they are willing to own up to the defect and compensate me one way or another.

So here's the thing....my wife hasn't weighed in yet. She actually never noticed it and I didn't want to say anything to her to see if she noticed by herself. The pool was only open for 5 days after the liner was installed and now it's closed up. She never really went out there much so no surprise she didn't notice. But she did help me put the cover on and still didn't notice. I am going to tell her this weekend and show her the picture and see if she has a strong opinion one way or the other. In hind site, I should have told her about it while the pool was open but she was so excited about the new liner that I didn't want to spoil the moment! That just being a bad husband :hammer:

• Wow
Reactions: kul and Mdragger88
But she did help me put the cover on and still didn't notice.
Because she was trying to not fall in. Protip: add 10 ft of rope to both springs that you're having a tug of war with when dragging the cover across the pool. That way, you can pull from plenty far back without risking going in.

But yeah. She'll notice in the spring. Have a pow wow about it and report back. (y)

Reactions: kul and Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.