New Liner - Am I being too picky?

run53

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2010
Just had this new liner installed 3 days ago. When filled I noticed what appears to be a manufacturing defect. I was planning to complain to the pool company that installed it but am I being too picky about this issue? Please take a look and give me your opinion.....

liner2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you speaking about that lighter color strip? That would bother me so I agree with the above suggestion to contact the manufacturer

Yes, it's that lighter strip that bothers me. I'm not sure what they can do short of replacing the entire liner :mad:

My wife thought I was being too picky (she hates conflict and doesn't want me to pursue it) but for the huge amount I spent for the liner, I don't think I should have to live with it.

I hope so too.....I'm sure there will be a lot of negotiation around it. Like, who pays for the re-fill and re-install and all the chemicals I just put in to balance before closing. I am of the opinion that the manufacturer should pay for ALL of that. It's probably going to be a battle :(

Reactions: Newdude
Another thing I noticed is that the seams along the bottom and the steps all look white (see pic). Is this normal? I never noticed anything like this in my previous liner. This liner is a Latham liner which I thought was a decent manufacturer. I'm having some doubts now.

liner3.jpg

There will always be some distinction at the seams. The white lines come from the white base liner. My first blue liner with a white base had easily white seam lines like yours. My 2nd blue liner with a blue base has blue seams.

Screenshot_20231012_081354_Gallery.jpg

ok, makes sense.....my new liner has a white base, hence the white seem. However, Latham says this about their liners/seems (directly from the Latham website).

"And with our patented Ultra-Seam technology, which comes standard on all of our pool liners, you’ll never see an unsightly seam again."

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is the area that’s lighter on the slope? That can make it reflect differently & appear a different color. I would be prepared for them to say this. If it’s still unsatisfactory to you then definitely push for replacement. If it were me I’d wait to actually replace it until the spring though as it’s getting a bit cold now. But getting it sorted out now means you should be first on the list come spring time.

Yes, that was my first thought and I'm sure they will push back with that. It is on the slope, but it's in the middle of the slope. I also took a picture of the liner without water and I can see that the splice of liner in that exact spot is actually lighter. I included a picture without water (below). I am planning to close the pool this weekend after everything is balanced and if they agree to replace it will be in the spring. I agree it will likely be a battle with them during the off season.

liner4.jpg

My guess is that lighter strip came from a different roll of material. Either they ran out or weren't paying attention when they cut that piece. We see similar from time to time. Maybe it looked like more of a match under the factory lights.

Either way you have 2 issues and only need them to agree that one doesn't hold to their standards. They're a premier company so hopefully they do the right thing. Especially when you have clear as day pics to post on all the review sites. :)

All of their warranties state the following -

Latham Pool Products, Inc. shall not be responsible for any other cost, such as labor charges, cost of replacement water or replace-
ment chemicals, or any additional costs from related damage that may occur. Under no circumstances shall Latham Pool Products,
Inc. be responsible for the cost of removal or replacement of the product under warranty, or for any other expenses or damages that
might be incurred as the result of such removal or replacement. The purchaser shall pay the cost of any return freight as well as any
installation costs

So right out of the gate they will not cover water costs, chemical costs, installation/removal costs, and shipping costs even under a warranty claim.

I would make sure your warranty card is filled out and mailed in and then work with the installer on this. They may have more leverage with Latham and might be able to get shipping covered and give you a break on removal or install if Latham decides to replace the liner. Otherwise, you're looking at a pretty hefty bill to fix what is a cosmetic issue.

The preamble of the warranty states that it only covers "Failures" (broken seams, tears, etc.) and "Manufacturing defects" ... your issue might fall under "manufacturing defects" but it's up to Latham to define what those are. Cosmetic issues like yours may not be covered under those terms.

Last edited:
I hope it works out. Companies get wiggly with warranties. It’s a hope for the best situation. Let us know what they say.

All of their warranties state the following -

So right out of the gate they will not cover water costs, chemical costs, installation/removal costs, and shipping costs even under a warranty claim.
All true, however, for an additional $100 (which I gladly paid), the installer (pool company) offered liner insurance which specifically covers all of those items for the first 5 years...100%

So, as you said, the difficult part will be getting Latham to cover the defect. This is clearly a manufacturing defect (of course that's my opinion). Why would anyone in their right mind expect to get different shades of a liner floor when they pay over $11K for the product. Especially when it is VERY noticeable. Accepting this would be the same as purchasing a new car and one of the fenders has a noticeably different shade than the rest of the car. It's cosmetic and doesn't impact the vehicles functionality in the least, but part of getting a brand new car is in how nice and new the car looks. I would say the same holds true for a brand new pool liner. The main reason I got one was to beautify my pool. Unfortunately my old faded liner, which was still very sound and held water, actually looked better than the new one.

The installer is currently working with Latham on this issue. I have no feedback yet. Either way, I am closing the pool this weekend, so any remedy will have to wait till spring. If Latham decides not to resolve this issue, I will take every chance I can get to give them negative press as a company that doesn't stand by their product. But that's jumping the gun as they haven't yet responded. I would think pool owners would want to know the outcome of this situation before they decide to go with Latham in the future.

Last edited:
So, I finally heard back from Latham about this discoloration issue in my liner. They agreed it was a manufacturing problem and said they would either replace the liner (at no cost me me, including labor, water and startup chems) OR they would give me $1200 to leave it as is. As much as it pains me to have to go through another liner installation next season, I am inclined to replace it.

I'm curious.....What would other TFP members do?

You know......I actually tried that and I have to admit, it was very hard (if not impossible) to see the defect when I had the pump running. Given that I do leave the pump running most of the day perhaps I could live with that as a solution.

Reactions: JamesW
If you plan to live in that house forever I’d go with the $1200 and consider it a prepayment for the next time you have to get a liner. After all it’s cosmetic. If you plan to sell I guess depends on if the buyer notices it and sees it as a defect.

Though if you’re going to be annoyed by it, just switch it out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.