maxwell2888

Sep 25, 2023
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi All - New to the forum, not to pools but def need some help/reassurance.

Back Story

Just Closed on a house and inherited a not so ideal situation with the pool.

Went to Leslie’s to buy a Taylor test kit and took along a sample with me for a free test (I know, I know).

CYA levels reported by Leslie’s at 140 ppm but FAC was in range for 140 CYA. Came home and drained about 40% to do a dilution and get CYA in the 80 range (still hot in Houston so was ok keeping it a bit higher). About 3/4 through the fill I walked out to see that the pool had started to turn green. Spidey senses went off telling me something wasn’t right so I tested myself and got the following

FAC - 10
PH -7.2
TA -100
CYA - 200 (had to use the dilution method to get a readable test)

After getting the real CYA reading it all
Made sense….

So I just finished another 40% dillution, tested CYA and am getting about 100 ppm. Went ahead And brought FAC up to slam levels. I really don’t want to do another dilution due to cost so, Plan is to ride this slam out, and hope CYA levels drop a bit in the next few months (pool gets full sun and it’s hot in Houston). If I need to dilute again in a few months I can - after my wife forgets about this water bill :).

What do y’all think! Is the plan a good one? Should I be doing anything different?

As long as you're fine maintaining the higher chlorine level I don't see any issues. And of course no more pucks!

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

What test kit did you get? Test Kits Compared

Change the zipcode in your profile to city, state - chances are no one is going to look up your zipcode to determine your location.

Fill out your signature with pool, pool equipment (including manufacturers and model numbers) and test kit info.
This assists us in providing you help specific to your pool without needing to ask you for this info each time.

Hi All - New to the forum, not to pools but def need some help/reassurance.

Back Story

Just Closed on a house and inherited a not so ideal situation with the pool.

Went to Leslie’s to buy a Taylor test kit and took along a sample with me for a free test (I know, I know).

CYA levels reported by Leslie’s at 140 ppm but FAC was in range for 140 CYA. Came home and drained about 40% to do a dilution and get CYA in the 80 range (still hot in Houston so was ok keeping it a bit higher). About 3/4 through the fill I walked out to see that the pool had started to turn green. Spidey senses went off telling me something wasn’t right so I tested myself and got the following

FAC - 10
PH -7.2
TA -100
CYA - 200 (had to use the dilution method to get a readable test)

After getting the real CYA reading it all
Made sense….

So I just finished another 40% dillution, tested CYA and am getting about 100 ppm. Went ahead And brought FAC up to slam levels. I really don’t want to do another dilution due to cost so, Plan is to ride this slam out, and hope CYA levels drop a bit in the next few months (pool gets full sun and it’s hot in Houston). If I need to dilute again in a few months I can - after my wife forgets about this water bill :).

What do y’all think! Is the plan a good one? Should I be doing anything different?
Take the next opportunity to use rain water (if we get any in October or November - hopefully) to drain 6-10 inches and let rain fill up some. I have not had to look for LC as I have a SWCG but I know that Pinch a Penny usually has good supply of LC if none available at HD or Walmart.
If you SLAM with CYA of 100 then the cost of LC may be higher than the cost of draining your pool water. I pay about $3.50 per 1000 gals so drain and refilling 10,000 is about $35 vs 10 gals of LC at $7 per gal is $70. May want to check your cost of water in your area.

Stay away from pucks. Also check your your CH levels.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

What test kit did you get? Test Kits Compared

Change the zipcode in your profile to city, state - chances are no one is going to look up your zipcode to determine your location.

Fill out your signature with pool, pool equipment (including manufacturers and model numbers) and test kit info.
This assists us in providing you help specific to your pool without needing to ask you for this info each time.
Done! Thanks. Test Kit is a Taylor 2006c.

Reactions: Newdude
Take the next opportunity to use rain water (if we get any in October or November - hopefully) to drain 6-10 inches and let rain fill up some. I have not had to look for LC as I have a SWCG but I know that Pinch a Penny usually has good supply of LC if none available at HD or Walmart.
If you SLAM with CYA of 100 then the cost of LC may be higher than the cost of draining your pool water. I pay about $3.50 per 1000 gals so drain and refilling 10,000 is about $35 vs 10 gals of LC at $7 per gal is $70. May want to check your cost of water in your area.

Stay away from pucks. Also check your your CH levels.
Thanks!

I had no idea water in Katy was that much cheaper than Houston.. Check this out and be glad you are not paying these water rates - ~$20/1,000 gals.

For now gonna run with the higher FAC and hope for some cya degradation and dilution (if we ever get any rain...)

Check this out and be glad you are not paying these water rates - ~$20/1,000 gals.

Around $400 to refill your 17K pool?

How much are you paying for LC?

How much LC do you think you will go through?

Your LC for the SLAM may cost you more then a good drian down to CYA 40.

Around $400 to refill your 17K pool?

How much are you paying for LC?

How much LC do you think you will go through?

Your LC for the SLAM may cost you more then a good drian down to CYA 40.
I've already done two 40% dilutions, and am nervous to drain more than that in one go (maybe shouldnt be but worried about cracking etc), so bill is already going to be super high! I'm getting the 2.5 gal, 10% from pinch a penny for $14. I honestly have no clue how much ill use.... Only day one into the slam - lost ~6ppm FAC last night which wasnt as bad as i was expecting. The lowish FC loss and Pool is clear - so hoping i've started to turn the corner on the bloom.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My advice is to start saving for a salt water chlorine generator before next season. I've never needed to SLAM but I think you have an uphill battle with your CYA. I would drain more. You inherited "bad" water, so it's not surprising if you have to replace almost all of it.

I've been losing around 10 ppm of CYA each month this summer. I expect that monthly loss to slow down for remainder of this year.

My advice is to start saving for a salt water chlorine generator before next season. I've never needed to SLAM but I think you have an uphill battle with your CYA. I would drain more. You inherited "bad" water, so it's not surprising if you have to replace almost all of it.

I've been losing around 10 ppm of CYA each month this summer. I expect that monthly loss to slow down for remainder of this year.
100% that is my plan - gonna give this LC plan a month and have a feeling ill be biting the bullet to go SWCG! Thanks for the advice.

Thanks!

I had no idea water in Katy was that much cheaper than Houston.. Check this out and be glad you are not paying these water rates - ~$20/1,000 gals.

For now gonna run with the higher FAC and hope for some cya degradation and dilution (if we ever get any rain...)
The water usage in my MUD does not charge for any additional fees for consumed water under the waste water category. If you pursue to drain and replace, you can call the water office and inform them you are filling a pool and they may waive the fees under the waste water for water consumed.

One of the worst things you can do is fight algae in a high CYA pool. Just use the no-drain exchange and get the CYA down to 30-40. You can then SLAM much easier and faster before winter, install a SWCG this spring, and enjoy a trouble free spring and summer next year.

Replacing water is the cheapest and easiest part. Your time, chlorine, and frustration is a going to be a lot more valuable, in my opinion.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.