New house, New-to-me pool, new adventure!

What is neat is to see you KNOWING what needs to be done. You have really learned how to care for your pool.

Now I want to help you out a little....when you know you will be busy and not really able to care for the pool OR go away for a trip or such you CAN use chlorine tablets :shock: Just so long as you know what they are adding to your water and you work with that information. With your CYA being a little low you are very safe to use tablets. In fact I keep mine a little lower just so I can use tablets when we are gone for the weekend.

:hug:

Kim:cat:

I'm finding that there's quite the ebb and flow when it comes to needing to maintain the pool and having opportunities to throw pool parties... It's really hard to tell the kids they can't swim because of the (what they call) "allergies" in the pool.

Having to be to work earlier than normal makes it hard to test in the morning. I really need to just settle in and kind of do a "reset" where I get ph back to within normal range, assess condition of pool and components, then fire off a good 3-4 day SLAM being on top of testing (will be much easier after July 4th weekend.

First off, have you passed that OCLT?

Are you having issues with pH or did you mean FC?

I hear you on the parties. I always raise my FC 2-3ppm above target before a party. Then, when everyone will be out of the pool for at least a half hour, I test, and bump it back up. Meal breaks work a treat.

After the party, I maintain the higher than normal FC just to make sure. If I have kids in the pool, (potential pee-ers), I definitely bump FC up.

For fun, and old times, give us your next full test results.

Hugs to the kids, and especially guess who...!

MARIAN

I have found I do better testing the FC in the evening and dosing then. That lets the FC "work" on whatever has been added to the water during the day without the sun taking any of it. Would that work for you?

Poor pool with it's allergies! LOL I hope he overcomes them so the kids can go swimming!

I did keep the FC higher through the party but did let it slip down prior as there were about 11 children swimming about and didn't want FC at shock level still. I guess I never asked if that is bad to have FC at shock level for kids to swim in? I guess it would be more concerned with a high Ph.

As far as passing OCLT, with my difficulties with testing before work not working out I can't say for sure. Looking this morning there is some dead algae on the bottom again. I wonder if I need to do a deep clean on the sand filter....

My questioning on doing a "reset" on the SLAM is simply to get Ph in check and maybe even bump CYA up a tad as prior testing from morning to evening shows burn off getting me to a low of about 2ppm. And it seems like my pool is sensitive to getting algae so I should keep FC at that higher range versus mid to low range.

Stay tuned, I'll do a full test tonight.

Marian passed 2 months yesterday! Although she looks like a 6 mo old.

It is safe to swim when your FC is just a tiny bit under the SLAM level for your CYA.

With all of the kids swimming and the summer sun.....yea I would keep the FC at the upper level of your range. You are still learning your pool. It will take a little time to really know what works best for you and your pool. With your work schedule just do the best you can and let the kids swim!

LOL on the baby looking like a 6 month old........some good eating going on it sounds like!

While not perfect by any means (this pool has seen daylight for literally 3 months in the past 2 years) the water remains clear, just dead algae on the bottom, I do add generally between half to a full jug of chlorine each day.

I'm still trying to get a decent schedule for when to filter the pool and how many hours to do so....

I am pleased with the progress so far and the looks on my kids faces keeps me motivated to keep figuring things out. Yes there are some days I just don't test, and pool ownership has been very challenging initially, but I'm very happy to have it.

Did a full test today... It's not pretty but I know what I need to work on.

Ph: 8.2
FC: 1.5ppm
CC: 0
CH: 225ppm
TA: 180ppm
CYA: <20 (was practically clear through whole test, even tested twice)

Plan of action is:

1) Lower Ph (PM says 92oz of MA)
2) Add CYA (PM says add 3lbs 9oz.)
3) adjust FC to shock level sometime after MA.
4) brush/vacuum
5) keep at it! July 4th isn't far away and my kids will swim in a clean(ish) pool!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Marian has surpassed 2 months, showing signs of rolling over and keeping her head held high.

I am starting to figure out the most feasible process for pool maintenance that I am able to do. Besides kids are in it 3-4 days a week. I still deal with some evidence of algae but I am pretty diligent about vacuuming it and brushing when I start to see it again. Haven't had any scares of cloudy water or too much disappearing FC. I am generally seeing my FC fluctuate between 3 on the low end to about 4.5 on the high end. I'm not perfect at it and there are still some days I look at it and say "not today".

Just had to actually add some fill water to it since we haven't had a significant amount of rain recently.

My two oldest girls have become very brave with swimming underwater and flipping around, even my only boy at 2 1/2 is being quite the daredevil jumping in when we aren't looking, laughing to his hearts desire.

I apologize for not much updating recently... It's been a fast paced and enjoyable summer. I'm sure I'll be keeping this up to date as I flip out about how to close my pool and all that fun reading material I haven't even looked at yet.

No worries! We all do what we can. I do wish you could have stayed algae-free, but if it's not workable for you, so be it. You know how to fix it if/when you have time.

Once it's fixed, we can help you through that next weekend away (or whatever it was that caused you to back-track. I just remember a storm or something while you were away). Pick up your socks; nag, nag!

I love hearing about your kids enjoying the pool. You have a daredevil boy on your hands, for sure!!! Too cute.

So glad Marian is doing well!!!

Well I get my first OMG moment of the fear and nervousness of a heavy rain and overflowing pool.

it's been raining pretty hard and steady for about 8 hours now here in Indiana... And I come home nervously to no longer see the inlet of the skimmer... Turn on pump to waste for a bit, and turn it off when it sits just under halfway knowing it might fill back up as the rain persists... I am standing in my pool shed as i type this pumping to waste a second time as it has filled back up above the inlet to the skimmer.

Earlier today
7caf9f1b4b922bdf76eec4487cdea296.jpg

Just now
42f389fff51de95b2c826a48423a265d.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.