New Homeowner / Pool Owner

Thank you ! I wish I had taken a before picture when it was literally a black swamp

Earlier I tested the CC , which I haven't been for a couple days since I figured itd be sky high while I was slamming. Good news is it stayed clear which I'm assuming means 0 CC....I think just a few more days of letting the filter do it's thing and she'll be fully clear !

hahaha right on ...thought a few of you would get a kick out of that

woooohooo the pool is just getting better and better by the day. Overnight I only had a +4 over base psi increase, and the best for last, I can see the main drain !!!

well hot ****, i spoke to soon haha. I just opened the pool light to see what brand I have, so I could get a new bulb. And tons of algae / dirt came out with it as I pulled it out. I should have checked there earlier as someone suggested. I bet that's what's still eating up my chlorine a little faster than Id like.

okay so when that happened I dumped 2 more bottle of bleach in just to be safe. I just went to check my FC and I ran out of drops at 16ppm , and it was lighly pink , so it seems the FC is still holding high. I ordered more reagent yesterday , so I won't be able to test my chlorine for a few days. I've been putting 1-2 bottles of 8.25 bleach in the morning , afternoon and evening and that has been holding it above shock level.

Should I continue to do that , until I can test again?

Tough call. At some point the chlorine usage is going to drop quickly (you're probably already pretty close, particularly since you discovered the algae behind the light) and then the amount you have been adding will be way too much.

My first thought would be to pick up some test strips locally -- I've had best luck with AquaChek 4-in-1 that use different shades of purple for FC -- then dilute 1 part of pool water with 3 parts of tap water and multiply the FC result by 4 until your 0871 reagent arrives.

EDIT -- another option would be to use a cheap OTO test (no dilution) and interpret the results according to this post :

http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...ditch-pool-guy?p=653082&viewfull=1#post653082

I have a tough time matching colours with the OTO test at low levels, but sounds like it might actually be easier at SLAM levels. I would have trouble distinguishing between hunter orange and pumpkin orange (despite being a hunter and living in prime pumpkin-growing territory) but even I could probably manage "if it's yellow, add bleach until it turns orange again") :D

hahah thanks Ill have to do that and strain my eyes and scratch my head trying to match the colors until shipment comes in :D

also I'm sure its not super reliable but I feel I can almost guesstimate where my fc levels are at by just simply adding in the DPD powder and looking at what shade of red it is

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
update, still waiting on some more reagent , but the pool just gets better and better by the hour. The filter is able to run over a 12 hour period with minimal pressure increase.

here are a few pictures, almost there. I'm guessing 2-3 more days max !

UOq8ZCk.jpg

xREF6H8.jpg

okay here is a little update , finally got some reagent in yesterday.

The pool is clear, the deep end isn't fully sparkling but almost there. Filter is hardly doing any work , pressure increases only 1 psi after 24 hours

went to perform OCLT test last night, tested before bed and the fc was 21ppm. Unfortuantly I work late at night so I didn't get a chance to test the pool until late this morning, 5 hours after direct sunlight. When I tested the pool this morning it had dropped to about a FC of 16ppm and the CC was 0.5 or less. Would 5 hours of sunlight cause the fc to 5ppm or is it still being used up by something in the pool??

update

okay well I was able to get up pretty early today to test it, only an hour after sunrise and the sun doesn't hit the pool that early

last night I had about a 20ppm fc and this morning 19ppm , and my CC was 0

Once I let the chlorine drift down , is it swimmable ? Of course pending other chemicals are in balance

woohoo went swimming yesterday , and it felt great. Thank you all again so much for the help, couldn't have done it without you all.

quick question to keep my pool in the ideal fc range of 4-8ppm ive been having to add a little under 121 fl oz a day of 8.25% .... does that seem right for a 14,500 pool ?

just tested cya and its in between 30 and 40 , id say about 35.

also yesterday at 2 in the afternoon the fc was at 2ppm , I added 121 fl oz of 8.25%

today at 2 in the afternoon the fc is again at 2 ppm .

keep in mind , we are having daily violent afternoon thunderstorms with lots of wind , I have no screen or trees shading my pool and the sun has been strong in florida !

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.